Coppell and Reading

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I do not doubt Reading would be interested in talking to Coppell, but lets face it, Reading have stated they have 1 more interview this week. Previously, there were VERY strong rumours 2 or 3 weeks previous before MA departed, Taylor just left, so no real warning.

With enough contacts on this board in the camp, we would know if he had been interviewed, if DK had been approached etc. It's like a suburban street, this club, nobody sneezes without it being heard.

Coppell IS NOT going to Reading. I don't care what tabloids say, how would they know more than the new media (web based boards like this), the people that write on these boards live and breath the football clubs.

So Reading boards have not really latched onto Coppell, this board has not had any concrete info. It is all about who is doing well and who is employed by a club that cannot match Readings Stadium and pockets (YET!). Coppels name will always be on that list, but he ain't going anywhere.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
...and Coppell has been sooo passionate for us the last 2 games, he went mental at Hartlepool and then sent off yesterday, those kind of actions speak louder than words....I think we all just expect the worst these days.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All of this speculation about where and when SC will go illustrates just how important Falmer is to this club. It also serves as a timely reminder to all of you who haven't written to John Prescott yet to do so....the public enquiry resumes shortly and we need Falmer ahead of anything else at the moment.

If you haven't sent your letter(s) to the club, now would be a good time.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Harty said on the radio that Coppell wouldn't be allowed to speak to anyone without DK's say so first, and I believe everything I hear, so I'm not worried.

johnno

Jul 23, 2003
This is a quote from the Sun newspaper:

STEVE COPPELL will be interviewed for the vacant manager’s job at Reading — in case Glenn Hoddle turns them down.

Royals chairman John Madejski made axed Spurs boss Hoddle his top target but is also a big admirer of the Brighton chief.

Coppell has an agreement with Seagulls chairman Dick Knight he can go if offered a better job.

Reading have also spoken to former England captains Tony Adams and Bryan Robson, who is also in the frame to become Nigerian national manager.

Chester boss Mark Wright is in talks to take over at TRANMERE.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Cheshire Dolphin said:
Harty said on the radio that Coppell wouldn't be allowed to speak to anyone without DK's say so first, and I believe everything I hear, so I'm not worried.

"Apparantly" Dick allowed Coppell to talk to Reading last week.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
johnno said:
This is a quote from the Sun newspaper:

Coppell has an agreement with Seagulls chairman Dick Knight he can go if offered a better job.

I know it's only one of many throw away lines typical of The Scum but I hope there's not a gram of truth in there.

If it is true then we're in for one long f***ing season regarding Steve C and which job he's up for next...

Can't see DK agreeing to something like that???

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Would you really leave those 1200 fans that sung their little hearts out last night?

If he goes it wouldn't be a disaster, just persuade Booker to take the job.

AVE SUMMA THAT!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
StaffsGull said:
Coppell IS NOT going to Reading. I don't care what tabloids say, how would they know more than the new media (web based boards like this), the people that write on these boards live and breath the football clubs.

So Reading boards have not really latched onto Coppell, this board has not had any concrete info. It is all about who is doing well and who is employed by a club that cannot match Readings Stadium and pockets (YET!). Coppels name will always be on that list, but he ain't going anywhere.

Interesting point and one that worries some journalists. The idea that some people know more than journalists is item for debate at an NUJ meeting later this month with many concerned parties (ie old-fashioned hacks) decrying the trend for 'amateur' journalism on enthusiasts' sites.

I don't think that it's automatically the case that fans' boards will have the edge over professional journos - much of journos' work is based on working contacts to death and they will get the story right most of the time, but this Coppell to Reading story sounds more like guesswork to me, that's not to say it's wrong of course: people do have lucky guesses.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Report from the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/3152858.stm

Graham backed for Royals job

By Stuart Roach

Theo Foley believes Arsenal legends George Graham and Tony Adams are both worthy candidates to take over the managerial reins at Reading.

But the former Gunners assistant manager does not think the two will be combined in an experimental double act at the Berkshire club.

Both Graham and Adams are reported to have been interviewed for the vacant job at the Madejski Stadium.

And Foley believes Graham remains the outstanding candidate to take over from Alan Pardew, who resigned earlier this month.

"George Graham certainly still has a lot to offer, in fact he has loads to offer," Foley told this website.

He added: "Tony Adams in management would be very new and would badly need someone like George Graham, but whether they could work together I do not know.

"That's a bit far fetched for me because Tony has never had a job or worked at that level and he won't really know exactly what his role would be in order to help George."

And Foley feels his former Highbury boss would relish a return to management, despite having been out of football's front line since he was sacked by Tottenham three years ago.

"George is a first class manager. His record stands with anybody's and his achievement of going in to a new club and making it work is there for all to see.

"The longer you stay out you realise there is another life out there. But whenever I speak to him he is as enthusiastic as can be.

"I think it would be good for the game to see him back in management."

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Coppells not going anywhere, he loves the Albion now, pushing Harding on the pitch and getting sent off at Rushden, top man :clap:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Here's that article from the Sun about Coppell and Reading

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2003451149,,00.html

"STEVE COPPELL will be interviewed for the vacant manager’s job at Reading — in case Glenn Hoddle turns them down.

Royals chairman John Madejski made axed Spurs boss Hoddle his top target but is also a big admirer of the Brighton chief.

Reading have also spoken to former England captains Tony Adams and Bryan Robson, who is also in the frame to become Nigerian national manager."

True or not true...? Where is that article from last week about DK saying "hands off" in the Argus? Perhaps that will shed a bit more light over whether there actually is a clause or not...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
johnno said:

Presumably Coppell can't go if he's offered a worse job then? :glare:

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
:clap2: :clap: :clap2: :lolol: like it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports