Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] COP26: Just More Of The Same Hot Air?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I should imagine most of the delegates are looking forward a few weeks of fully-expensed 5* hospitality, gala dinners and drinks receptions - plus the chance for a bit of pre-Christmas shopping.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It's a bit more than just hot air. The carbon emissions from the delegates private jets is the equivalent of Scotlands total annual carbon emissions. It's a grift.

main-qimg-4131d119e078c5502d2e6dbed15edb83.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Surprised to see no threads on COP26, or at least none with a thread title worthy of the name.

So... is it really one minute to midnight or will they just put the clocks back?

After all is said and done, there's a lot said and not much done.

Its so complex, but the time for action really is upon us.

I heard a compelling argument against the massive borrowing that would be required for us to go carbon neutral (as it will inevtiably mean huge tax increases or cuts to fund it)...... and it did sort of make sense to a degree..... Some nations including ours are going to take on biblical levels of debt to go greener all the while some of the biggest emitters and biggest sellers of hydrocarbons in the world will not and will increase output.

It concluded with, are we really going to almost bankrupt ourselves to piss in the wind as China, Russian and Saudia Arabia will use our weakness to gain ever more strength by burning ever more hydrocarbons. Are we going to be a small part of Chinas carbon offset programme and indebt ourselves to be so.

I get the argument, that much is futile with the intransigence of big emmiters and lord forbid a return of Trump. But that doesnt mean we should just throw in the towel and also kill our planet because China, Russia and India refuse to change course.

But there needs to be real political will to take tough decisions..... We just had the G20 agree to a unanimous corporate tax floor in their nations, the same type of resolve need to be used to severely punish those who will not change their ways and continue to increase emmisions.

For one, China is the biggest exporter and manufactuer of goods in the world, a huge and punative green tarrif should be levied on all chinese manufactured goods including those western companies who set up manufacuring plants there, this can be distribributed to fund to help nations decarbonise. The Chinese will go batshit over it, but bollocks to them, they are killing the planet more than any other, change or face conseuqences. Similarly some form of addtional heavy financial sanctions on Russia, India, Saudia until they are bought to heel. Make them international parriahs.

Where are the real leaders?, is there the backbone to do whats needed.... it must be done, and if others refuse to change they must face huge economic green sanctions imho. If the G20 minus China and Russia agree, they'll be forced to change course. Hit them hard in the pocket.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The same Judith Curry that was funded by fossil fuel companies since early 2000s? Stop getting infographics of Facebook :D

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I guess Prince Charles can lecture people about the environment whilst having a massive personal carbon footprint because he is speaking to a group of world leaders with absolutely huge personal carbon footprints.

Well, quite.

I should imagine Prince Charles' carbon footprint for his country home in Gloucestershire and his residence in London - plus his regular travel between the two, not to mention trips up to his other house on the Balmoral estate etc - dwarf my carbon footprint. I have very little - and that which I do have, I have by necessity. So frankly, Charles can **** off, unless of course he plan to downsize to one house and one car that he and Camilla can share.

No, thought not.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yup, this. The absence of China and Russia says all you need to know. They clearly don't give a shit. Presumably they live on a different planet from the rest of us :shrug:

Dictators don't usually leave office in a good way, they are both concerned about their own lives above all others, Putin particularly, that's why he keeps moving the goalposts to stay in power. It's not unknown for a despot to go off abroad and come back to find the locks have been changed.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We have to accept that it's way past midnight and human beings won't change.

My advice to younger people - don't have any kids.

I hope that we see people out on the streets protesting, but as others have said, most are more interested in their cheap flights to Ibiza.

You're so much more than just a black musical, H. Who knew?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I'm following with interest, but I can't see that there will be too much useful that comes out of it. Targets and aims are useless unless countries are held to account to achieve them, with penalties if they don't.

I will say though - as much as I can't stand the man in most situations, I have been moderately impressed by BJ's apparent attitude and speeches around COP26 and climate change. The first time I've seen him even somewhat resemble a statesman.

Though I doubt he can even convince his own party to vote in appropriate measures, let alone convince other countries to do the same, so as per his own requote of Greta - "bla bla bla".

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just seen Greta Thunberg at a protest outside, the crowd absolutely adore her, singing 'there's only one Greta Thunberg'.

Given that COP will be very much in the public spotlight over the next fortnight would be great if we could get a chant of it going at the Amex on Saturday and show Albion are leading the way on climate change activism.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Coooor

Im excited to be told to pay more tax by a bunch of people that jet in on individual private jets from Rome, Travel in SUVS, with some having 4 or more kids.

All covered by sky who have jetted presenters all over the world and whose CEO commutes from the States

almost as laughable as the covid theatre they are performing

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just seen Greta Thunberg at a protest outside, the crowd absolutely adore her, singing 'there's only one Greta Thunberg'.

Given that COP will be very much in the public spotlight over the next fortnight would be great if we could get a chant of it going at the Amex on Saturday and show Albion are leading the way on climate change activism.

:lolol::lolol:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The Dispatches doc on channel 4 at the moment has revealed that the way the UK records its carbon footprint is completely false and very misleading, not accounting for a huge amount of emmisions. Absolutely SHOCKED I am. Who would have possibly thought it!?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Chump.PNG

National embarrassment strikes again. 95 year old David Attenborough next to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here