Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cooking a Turkey

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Given the culinary masters that reside on here I am looking for some tips. Its our first year at hosting a family Christmas and we have 12 people coming round and have just picked up a 16lb turkey.

So - any ideas on what's the best way to cook it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cook it upside down for half of the cooking time, then flip it back over. This will have two advantages:

The bird cooks in its juices so won't dry out so much
The top of the bird won't burn and might not even need the foil covering.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Remember to leave the giblets IN the bird.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
sell it and get a goose! much nicer :D

but if not put good quality bacon on top of the breasts, keep em moist and tasty :) and will add to the gravy!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Buy some muslin from a fabric shop - enough to cover the bird twice. Soak in melted butter, fold in half and cover the bird. Roast at 190c for the required length of time. Remove the muslin for the last 30 mins to crisp up the skin. No need to baste, tender breast and leave to stand for at least an hour. Thats what I'm planning for saturday so we'll see how it goes.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Fry in a deep fat fryer for 10 mins - sorted

It is quite common in the US to deep fry turkey, but it takes a lot longer than 10 mins. I think Heston said nearly an hour the other day, obviously depends on the size, and of course the oil/fat can;t be too hot or it'll be black on the outside long before it's in any way cooked on the inside.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think you might have left it a bit late for a bird that size. Perhaps you would be safest cutting it into small pieces and microwaving in small batches?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I usually get a pack of softened butter which i mix with lots of lemon zest and lemon thyme. I then squeeze the butter under the turkey skin so when it cooks, the butter and lemon flavours melt into the bird. I also cover the skin with bacon too.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The One True Turkey Way. From FoodTv's Alton Brown. Looks at first glance a bit on the fussy side, but the ingredients in the brine, and the aromatics that go into the bird itself are negotiable. The technique is not.

We name our Thanksgiving turkeys chez Cathedra, and this year Gwinneth Poultry joined Kemal Attaturkey, Senator Robert Bird, Larry Bird, Hedda Gobbler, and others in the family tradition

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There was a chef on BBC Radio 2 today, and he laughed at a listener's idea that it needed to be soaked in brine before cooking.

Gordon Ramsay also said on his show yesterday that he was always taught that a turkey should be rested for the same amount of time that it's cooked for. I don't know if that means you get cold turkey after three hours sitting on the worktop, but that's what the man said.

buffs99

Brighton Forever
Oct 30, 2010
Brighton
Stick in oven for 24 hours will be nice and crisp and crunchy! nice charcoal flavour!

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Cook it upside down for half of the cooking time, then flip it back over. This will have two advantages:

The bird cooks in its juices so won't dry out so much
The top of the bird won't burn and might not even need the foil covering.

This is it. On a bed of celery, carrot, onion. All the juices flow to the breast (oooh arghhh) so the breast stays moist (oooh arghhh). Flip it (oooh arghhh) for the last 45 mins. The juices with the celery, carrot and onion with stock will make the resultant gravy the business

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here