Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Controversial, but, should kids be playing football at this time of year?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Controversial but why not choose the sport you are better at and stick to that? then you can play football all year, cricket all year or rugby all year. The days of having a player that is good enough to play dual sports has long gone

I think I agree. If someone is a great long distance runner but has two left feet, what's the point in then playing football? Stick to what you're good at.

D

Deleted member 18477

Wrong, wrong, wrong. If ever such a simple statement was so misused. Any decent coach (of any sport) will tell you "Practice makes permanent".

If you're practicing something wrong [eg technically incorrect], you will not become "perfect" but the incorrect aspect will just become permanent through muscle memory.

For those interested in a deeper understanding, read "The myth of talent" by Matthew Syed

Oh I'm sorry :lolol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Indeed, the youngest of players play a form of cricket called "pairs" or KWIK Cricket. This places much more emphasis on participation - basically 8-a-side softball, every player bowls one over and batters bat in pairs for 2 overs. Start the score at 200 and its minus five runs for a wicket - each match lasts about an hour - best of all for the kids, no LBW .....

Only true if you're too ignorant to actually understand what's going on in the game as the bigger picture.
What about the wicket-keeper and other 9 fielders, do you REALLY think they find it uninteresting?

Sorry but I have played cricket (albeit not too often) and being a fielder in the outfield is dull compared to being behind the stumps, bowling or close in. Football is more active for all players and the only time someone gets really bored is if they are the goalkeeper in a vastly superior team and therefore never get to touch the ball!!!!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It's not all pick-up games and goalposts for jumpers.

Parental bragging rights, keeping up with the Joneses, a lottery-ticket odds shot at a comfortable old age -- kids are playing organized football for all kinds of reasons that have nothing to do with them, and everything to do with their parents.

I suspect you are sadly correct. Pushy Parent Syndrome is a very nasty thing in any form.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I ran a kids team for 10 years for boys from under 9s right through to under 18s

W used to stop training for the best part of 3 months,early May through to mid/late July, just playing in 2 or 3 six a side tournaments.

Me and the others guy who ran the team needed a break, as we believed, did the kids.

The guys who ran the teams a year above us, and a year below, used to continue throughout the year, saying that if they stopped training then they feared their boys would go and train elsewhere, and possibly drift off to other teams.

I may have lost one or two boys over the years, although i don't believe that was the reason, in fact 9 of the boys who started with me at Under 9 played our last ever game.

The interesting thing is, that once we finished, pretty much all of them went on to play adults football.

Unfortunately the same can't be said of the boys who played in the aforementioned teams, a year older/younger than my age group, where only a very few are still involved in football.

I honestly believe that kids play too much football, too young theses days.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The only sport I have ever liked is football. Summer days playing football in the park/garden/car park or on the beach in Spain are probably the main memory I have of my childhood.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry but I have played cricket (albeit not too often) and being a fielder in the outfield is dull compared to being behind the stumps, bowling or close in. Football is more active for all players and the only time someone gets really bored is if they are the goalkeeper in a vastly superior team and therefore never get to touch the ball!!!!

Each to his own of course, but I've never been bored playing cricket - even fielding in the outfield, you get to touch the ball a lot of the time. And, of course, everyone gets a turn to bat when you are the complete centre of attention for a while.

On the other hand,I once played centre back in a football match where we won 13-0: I think I touched the ball twice - that was an incredibly dull experience.

They're two completely different games - that's the appeal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here