Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Conte WOW

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
It could well be utter horsesh|t of course, but a Spurs fan I know seems to think there's a clause in his contract meaning that if Spurs fire him, they have to pay him for the year's option they have on his contract.

It would perhaps explain the standoff on both sides.

It seems weird that a wealthy man like Conte would do his very best to be sacked just so he can be paid up for the last 3 months of the contract. Why trash his reputation by acting the c**t in public for a (relative to his wealth) small sum of money?

Likewise, you'd think that Levy would be decisive and sack him if it would 'only' cost 3 months' salary?

Sounds feasible, but probably horsesh|t. Whatever - here's hoping the drama continues and they crash and burn to help our run at 4th place
I was thinking similar about why would he try and be sacked, but then imagine the absolutely thermonuclear meltdowns that must have been happening in private, and for how long, for him to then be like that in public. He seems like a man on the edge of a breakdown, seeing himself as a victim, and refusing to give in.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Still going on with the old "can't dine in a 100-euro restaurant with a 10-euro bill" eh, Antonio?

I weirdly have some pity for the man; I honestly think he should go back to coach a small club or even in Serie B for a while, for his own health's sake. I think he would be happier at that level. I don't have sympathy for him but he's been in a grim downwards spiral for a while now, and he doesn't have the emotional strength of someone like Mourinho to shoulder all of this.

I still can't believe our own luck in having him for his best 3 seasons before he started fossilizing, and as soon as he suddenly quit us having the perfect replacement and improvement ready with Allegri - it was a bit like a Potter-to-RDZ situation of our own.

Spurs seem like a club that's stuck in a swamp. To be fair they always seemed that way any time I looked at them.

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I was thinking similar about why would he try and be sacked, but then imagine the absolutely thermonuclear meltdowns that must have been happening in private, and for how long, for him to then be like that in public. He seems like a man on the edge of a breakdown, seeing himself as a victim, and refusing to give in.
I have sympathy regarding his personal circumstances - losing several friends must be incredibly hard, which might explain how he seems.

I'm not sure it excuses the histrionics though. If he wants/needs to get out, return to Italy to properly recuperate from his gall bladder surgery and reconnect with friends and family to help him through his losses... fine. There's no need to agitate for a move with increasing intensity, before his massive game of blame bingo. Just resign with dignity (though the whole hair situation would suggest the man has no dignity).

Blame the players?
These are the same players who he got into the champions league last season, with a few additions that he demanded and a few that, apparently, were foisted upon him. £200m spent on top of a team containing the most lethal duo the PL has ever seen (not sure if that's actually true, but I remember seeing plenty of stats about Kane & Son). If they are all playing as individuals, not a team, then that is surely down to the manager to fix?

Blame the board?
Say what you like about the man, but Levy has overseen the building of a profitable business (the most profitable club in the league according to some DULLARD), whilst also delivering relative success on the pitch. Without a league title in over 60 years, it's amazing that Spurs are even considered to be 'big 6' and the only reason they are is their financial clout, which is down to Levy.
I'd argue that hiring Conte and Mourinho were mistakes, but they are the kind of 'serial winners' that clubs often get duped into hiring, before finding out that their powers are on the wane / out of date. Would the Spurs fanbase accept a left-field, progessive appointment and give them time, or will they demand another 'name'?

Blame the 'mentality' of the club
Perhaps take some responsibility for this too Mr Conte...? Maybe the comments about taking £10 to a £100 restaurant made your players less confident and reinforced the 'loser' mentality? Maybe whining on about needing to bring in better players makes your squad feel sh|t about themselves?
Maybe take a leaf out of a younger, brighter, more positive Italian's book and breathe some confidence into your squad to make them believe? Maybe some of that will rub off on those above you in the organisation too? The whole club and fanbase perhaps...?

Or you could just be a moany curmudgeon, throw a load of sh|t around to poison the well as you leave and trouser another payoff as reward for your underachievement?

I hope he's around for a while longer, just to see how much he can f**k the club up before he goes.

As much as I dislike Conte and characters like him, it is delicious to see a lot of the deluded spurs fans backing him instead of their club.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I have sympathy regarding his personal circumstances - losing several friends must be incredibly hard, which might explain how he seems.

I'm not sure it excuses the histrionics though. If he wants/needs to get out, return to Italy to properly recuperate from his gall bladder surgery and reconnect with friends and family to help him through his losses... fine. There's no need to agitate for a move with increasing intensity, before his massive game of blame bingo. Just resign with dignity (though the whole hair situation would suggest the man has no dignity).
My word, it must have taken a long time to type out all that. All i've taken from it is the bit in bold - what do you mean by that?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
My word, it must have taken a long time to type out all that. All i've taken from it is the bit in bold - what do you mean by that?
5C595BD8-1ED6-418C-ABB1-974D0FD1B9DE.jpeg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm almost certain RDZ wouldn't touch Spurs with a barge pole, his next step will be a much bigger move than Spuds.

I also don't see the club entertaining the conversation given our position.
They allegedly came in twice for Potter, he obviously turned them down. They won’t be offering a £60m contract and RDZ will, I suspect, laugh off any approach. There is such a huge difference in working for Bloom instead of Levy, he’ll understand.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm almost certain RDZ wouldn't touch Spurs with a barge pole, his next step will be a much bigger move than Spuds.

I also don't see the club entertaining the conversation given our position.
May not have a choice. Clubs are less protected from having their managers poached, from my understanding because it isn't clear what kind of compensation you'd get (or, when poaching one, have to pay) if the manager decides to break his contract and just move to the new club. Clubs that normally try to avoid buyout clauses often use it for managers as a way to protect themselves: if the manager has a £20m buyout clause, the tribunal might order the club working around this to pay the £20m rather than possibly just ordering them to pay up the sum the manager was about to earn from his contract. There are no transfer fees for managers - just compensations.

Agree it is highly unlikely that a) they'll go for him ('nough of loud Italians) b) he'd be that interested. Of course if they hand him a massive contract and promises he can spend big money in the summer on bringing in whatever he likes, it can't be ruled out, but given that they rarely spend batshit money this seems unlikely.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here