Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Conte WOW

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Can't really see what Levy has done wrong. Priority was building one of worlds best stadiums and although priority for next few years is to pay off some of huge debt they have still managed to spend some money on transfers. However paying out £60m for Richalson was mad.. Arsenel went a few years not spending a huge ammount for a few years when they moved and now look at them.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Can't really see what Levy has done wrong. Priority was building one of worlds best stadiums and although priority for next few years is to pay off some of huge debt they have still managed to spend some money on transfers. However paying out £60m for Richalson was mad.. Arsenel went a few years not spending a huge ammount for a few years when they moved and now look at them.
Why was building a new stadium priority?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Spurs' records in the last 3 decades is f ing appalling. To always be classed as top 4 but have nothing to show for it except a nice stadium and a cheese room.

Conte is absolutely right... tottenham is a mess and lack passion. He may have ended his managerial career at spurs but i am glad he said what he did. There is a fundamental issue there and i believe that is Levy however he does still put his hand in his pocket. The managers over the last few years have been some of of the best there are and still no trophies.

For me there was a defining moment at spurs. After the champions league final they should have strengthened and spent and challenged. Poch got a 2nd and 3rd league finish but instead they didn't buy and Poch eventually got sacked... that's where this shit storm started.
To me Spurs appear to waste millions on average players maybe because they go for cheaper options rather than the one or two top quality players needed to be really successful.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why was building a new stadium priority?
Because 36,000 is woefully inadequate for a club the size of Spurs in this day and age, and even at 60,000 the club sells out regularly.

It's easy to question that decision, but without the new stadium Spurs are not in a position to spend money their fans expect.

I'm not saying Levy has been a great chairman, but he's not some basket case either. It's just that Spurs clearly don't have the behind-the-scenes set up that they need in order to step up. That said, they're in a better state than some other big clubs like Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool. And West Ham on their door step are still no match for them despite moving into Stratford. How bad is it really?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bloke has just made himself look an absolute tool, imo.

3-1 up against the worst team in the league with 15 minutes to go - he swamps his team with defenders and has them camp in their own box - leading to an inevitable period of pressure. How the f*** is that the fault of the owners / Levy / history?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Because 36,000 is woefully inadequate for a club the size of Spurs in this day and age, and even at 60,000 the club sells out regularly.

It's easy to question that decision, but without the new stadium Spurs are not in a position to spend money their fans expect.

I'm not saying Levy has been a great chairman, but he's not some basket case either. It's just that Spurs clearly don't have the behind-the-scenes set up that they need in order to step up. That said, they're in a better state than some other big clubs like Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool. And West Ham on their door step are still no match for them despite moving into Stratford. How bad is it really?
Fair point but I wouldn’t say it was priority. I’d take the old ground back in a second.

I don’t think it is that bad. We’re still likely to come 6th or 7th and qualify for Europe, but I think we’re a club heading in the very wrong direction, and FWIW Conte’s interview is brilliant and spot on. I think the fact we’re 4th shows just how poor this league is. We are total shit.

Good luck today by the way. :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Daniel Levy presumably has a big say in appointing managers, sporting directors etc.

This is obviously done headlessly.

The coaches, players and others coming in and out has nothing to do with each other. They don't have a style. They are known for playing "attacking footbalL", which must be some 20+ year old myth because that is certainly not something they give a shit about when hiring people.

They started building something great with Martin Jol in 2004. Sensible, funny Dutch manager who liked attacking football and who brought in a lot of youthful talented players. Couple of bad results and they bring in the defensive minded fascistoid Juande Ramos who took about five minutes to ruin the work Jol had put in for three or four years. Out with dullard defensive tactician Ramos and in with jolly Redknapp who really does not give a shit about tactics and just ensures the players are as happy as possible.

The likeable and generally attacking Redknapp gets sacked after a couple of years and replaced by Villas-Boas, a defensive minded egomaniac who every footballer hates.

This has been the case all the time for Spurs under Levy. They start building something that looks promising, take some kneejerk decisions that are not going to work out, and then have to start over from square one. They almost got there with Pochettino and if they had made the right appointment to replace him, maybe they would have been able to get somewhere. Instead they went for Jose Mourinho, who is a washed up wanker.

Tbf to Levy they've shown some consistency in recent years. Jose Mourinho was followed by Nuno and then Conte, two other managers who thinks football is best played if you don't really play football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Spurs' records in the last 3 decades is f ing appalling. To always be classed as top 4 but have nothing to show for it except a nice stadium and a cheese room.

Conte is absolutely right... tottenham is a mess and lack passion.

Spurs never win anything, but I don't see it as being because they lack passion. They often sell a couple of their best players and don't replace them, so they're never at the level of City, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool. Yeah they've got Kane and Son, but then they've got people like Dier. But then they don't spend as much (on players) as the aforementioned clubs, so it's difficult to finish above them.

For me there was a defining moment at spurs. After the champions league final they should have strengthened and spent and challenged. Poch got a 2nd and 3rd league finish but instead they didn't buy and Poch eventually got sacked... that's where this shit storm started.
Yep, that sounds about right. A lack of investment has cost them, rather than a lack of passion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He’s not wrong per say but that doesn’t make it alright to talk like this does it?

If we lose today and our defenders have a nightmare you wouldn’t expect RDZ to come out and say Dunk was a donkey, Colwill was f**king useless and Estupinan played like a blind man and that our club has a loser mentality.

All could be true and you might think it internally but you don’t say it in public.
But he's not saying it because they had one bad game, he's saying it because he thinks it's an endemic problem at the club that's been there for decades. I'm not sure he's right (as I said above, I think it's lack of investment, not passion), but it's not applicable to Brighton.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Conte is not wrong, but then if he was getting more out of those same players last season it begs the question why has he not done as well this season - he's the manager.

Arguably, their performances and league position are par for that squad of players.

It was criminal that they didn't sign defensive reinforcement in the last 2 windows. The likes of De Vrij, Skriniar, Meunier, plus Maddison, JWP could have kicked them on.

And Levy is nor a football man, he is a business man.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Spurs never win anything, but I don't see it as being because they lack passion. They often sell a couple of their best players and don't replace them, so they're never at the level of City, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool. Yeah they've got Kane and Son, but then they've got people like Dier. But then they don't spend as much (on players) as the aforementioned clubs, so it's difficult to finish above them.

Yep, that sounds about right. A lack of investment has cost them, rather than a lack of passion.
It's definitely not lack of passion, more lack of quality in coaching. There's enough good players in that squad that a proper coach could take them into the top 4 in my opinion.

Conte is just doing what Conte does though. Decent start, make massive transfer demands, burn the place to the ground as he seeks an exit strategy. Straight out of the Mourinho playbook of management. Conte and Spurs were never going to work because they were never going to back him with Chelsea-level funding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here