Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Consistent flow of fans leaving early every game

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Don’t know where the OP got the info but it is freely available on the club site.

Brighton fans, on average, live 35 miles from the American Express Community Stadium (the Premier League average is 56 miles)

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1627538/albion-rank-third-in-premier-league-fan-survey

This kind of average (mean) in this context is no use. It probably means that a few hundred fans live many miles away and many live close. It would be more useful to know the most common distance travelled.l

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I think it's about time someone says this but is it just me that thinks there's an issue with so many people leaving early?

From what I've gathered from my few years watching the Albion I noticed that nearly every game a flow of fans have left before the final whistle, obviously yesterday wasn't a good one, probably our worst under potter but we're 9th yet about two thirds of the ground cleared out 10 minutes before the end.

And when so many people leave, how do we expect to produce a miracle last minute goal in any game when there isn't much support left?

I believe too many people are prioritizing getting home over supporting the team and if that's the case then why go in the first place?

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you lot think about it or any solutions there could be

When I started following the Albion in 1967 my dad bought us season tickets in the Grandstand (only a few seats from the director's box) They were 6 quid each, for anyone interested.. There was an elderly (about the same age i am now, at a guess) gentleman in our row who left 5 minutes early every match to get his taxi outside the ground. It is nothing new to leave early to avoid long queues.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This kind of average (mean) in this context is no use. It probably means that a few hundred fans live many miles away and many live close. It would be more useful to know the most common distance travelled.l

I'm guessing the survey was fans whether they go to games or not. I don't believe for one minute that the average distance travelled by fans to the Amex is 35 miles. The club do have the info but doubt they would ever release it.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I respect people's right to make their own decisions, but I reckon that if you are one of those who heads for the exits before the match is over then you probably need to find a new hobby. But if you do go to the cinema or theatre or visit a brothel instead I recommend that you try and stay to the end.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I respect people's right to make their own decisions, but I reckon that if you are one of those who heads for the exits before the match is over then you probably need to find a new hobby. But if you do go to the cinema or theatre or visit a brothel instead I recommend that you try and stay to the end.

Johnny come earlies...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

I compare it to going out for a meal.

I've paid, not enjoyed it and the tip I leave 99% of the time is the clapping off in this instance.

The £50k + -a-week brigade will have to cope without my tip this time, I'm sure they'll deal with it.

Hopefully I won't feel like that for some time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Don’t know where the OP got the info but it is freely available on the club site.

Brighton fans, on average, live 35 miles from the American Express Community Stadium (the Premier League average is 56 miles)

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1627538/albion-rank-third-in-premier-league-fan-survey

The thing about that is that are many grounds which are far more accessible than the Amex. It’s not ideal anywhere after a game but it’s definitely more pronounced for us.

Yes, I know about subsidised travel etc but getting away at the end of the game can be an absolute shitshow. Grounds in more built up areas are much easier to get to. I nearly missed kickoff yesterday because of the Sussex uni parking shambles.

If you are losing 3-0 at home with 5 minutes to go and face the prospect of sitting at the Bridge for half an hour or getting squashed in a train queue, I can well understand why some left early yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This thread completely ignores the fact that there was a new series of Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeout.

What did you honestly expect ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Averages can be so easily skewed.

I really don't believe that on average, Southampton, Everton, Burnley, Palace, Norwich, Watford, Wolves, Leicester, Brentford fans live 56 miles from their ground.

Clearly the likes of the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham have fans that travel from further afield, which inevitably would push the average up!

Correct.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Under Graham Potter Brighton have won just 12 home games out of 50 in the Premier League, still one less than under Hughton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Under Graham Potter Brighton have won just 12 home games out of 50 in the Premier League, still one less than under Hughton.

Collectively, just 25 home wins in 5 seasons IS a contributory factor.

Not everyone’s a fanatic who unthinkingly would never miss a minute of an Albion game.

Winning football - far more people turn up, far more people stay to applaud the players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Collectively, just 25 home wins in 5 seasons IS a contributory factor.

Not everyone’s a fanatic who unthinkingly would never miss a minute of an Albion game.

Winning football - far more people turn up, far more people stay to applaud the players.

Its the only factor.

You only had to look at the state of this place a week ago.
Winning makes everything better.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Wow. Thanks for those words of wisdom. Had this hobby for 57 years and don’t think I need to be told to take up a new one just because I leave early to get home to Dorset.

Mods: this topic has been done over and over. Can you not just point the next thread starter to the multiple previous threads?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Mods: this topic has been done over and over. Can you not just point the next thread starter to the multiple previous threads?

When we lose at home topics generally cover (1) early leavers (2) transport issues (3) queues, various (4) atmosphere, lack off (5) tactics - wrong (6) players / selection - shite.

When we win, topics generally revolve around how long until Graham Potter is the next England Manager, which of our players will be going to one of the ‘big 6’ in the summer and which places guarantee European football

I’m beginning to think it’s almost as if results and performances determine the overall mood on here?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When we lose at home topics generally cover (1) early leavers (2) transport issues (3) queues, various (4) atmosphere, lack off (5) tactics - wrong (6) players / selection - shite.

When we win, topics generally revolve around how long until Graham Potter is the next England Manager, which of our players will be going to one of the ‘big 6’ in the summer and which places guarantee European football

I’m beginning to think it’s almost as if results and performances determine the overall mood on here?

Much better than several threads full of people arguing about politics IMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here