Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Connor Goldson

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I’ve seen other people post on this site before, we bought Duffy because Goldson wasn’t quite good enough to get us up. Surely that says a lot about their respective abilities. Hughton isn’t a mug, if Goldson had shown enough at any point to displace Duffy he would have been given a chance.

I feel like Goldson benefits from a favourable rating on this site because of the sympathy and admiration we all have for him after his medical problems and the fact he proved to be a good player after we bought him for peanuts from lowly Shrewsbury, whereas Duffy was the big money buy with far greater expectations. But if you ignore all that, Duffy has proved over two years that he’s a superior player, while Goldson is very good but unfortunately has never quite been good enough for where we are at any particular time. Just my opinion. I still like him, I still rate him as a very good Championship player and I fully expect him to tear it up in the Scottish league.

Goldson was only 23 then, and according to a radio debate this evening, CB's usually don't know their craft until 26 / 28.

I genuinely always rated Goldson before his health scare.

When we bought Duffy and Hunemaier, I simply thought that's great .... we have 4 quality CB's to cater for injuries.

Duffy was brilliant to have as a warrior/man mountain in the Championship, with physical teams trying to rough us up, or obessing with aerial balls to giants (Cardiif).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shame they can't spell his name right !

Conroy Goldstone you mean? A hell of a player. Cracking centre forward. Goal!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I, and probably others, always thought that Goldson was quality. Hard to compare, but IMO the equal of Duffy and Hunemaier.
I thought he was better than Hünemeier (maybe as I was taking his potential into account), and actually better than Duffy too, but different, and not what we needed alongside Dunk as much as Duffy.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I, and probably others, always thought that Goldson was quality. Hard to compare, but IMO the equal of Duffy and Hunemaier. But good managers don't mess around with defensive pairings, so Goldson didn't get PL games. Better than just another reserve at the n'th best team.

I reckon great scouting by Rangers. Bottom half PL clubs missed a trick.

Agreed, I would not be at all surprised to find we have a buy back clause in the sale contract, and I would not be at all surprised if we use it. I think he will be better than Dunk.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This thread is getting stupid for a comparison if Knockhaert played for Rangers or Celtic they would be asking £100m for him. I liked Goldson but let's get back to reality.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Connor did look accomplished on the ball and defended well. He looked pretty much the best player on the pitch. However, the Croatians were fairly toothless up front. They should have done better with a couple of chances. The worries came particularly from corners where Connor was fairly anonymous. This is the area that Sean Dyche highlighted as a weakness of ours when we finished behind Burnley and 'Boro. Duffy certainly sorted that in our promotion season.

Last season showed that we still have to improve in that area now that we are up against better crossers and cuter strikers. Unfortunately for Connor, I guess that he wasn't seen as the man to help us close this gap, and he would have obviously remained at best third choice behind D&D. He needed to be playing football and, although sorry he has had to go, I'm pleased he has found somewhere where he can look to be number one.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was gutted to see him leave but understand why. He'll be a star up there.
Also hope Uwe has a good season back in his homeland. Appreciate what both of them brought to us.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
When the manager, your hero, signs you, it is fairly certain you will be first pick. He has an excellent Croation CB next to him, I think. We have all seen how class he is.
I have a couple of mates down here in sunny Spain, Rangers fans, and they can’t stop saying “How did you let him go?” I keep repeating “He couldn’t get in our team so we let him fly. We are kind like that!” Same with Jamie Murphy, couldn’t get in the team so only fair to let him star in your league.
They both agree btw.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can’t help feeling he would have displaced Duffy sooner rather than later so shame he went

Come on.

He's playing against a team NOBODY could find on a map, in a division where he'll have 4 tough games a season.
Posters here are getting titsy about the quality of players and teams in the Eredivisie and even they would bet on it v Scotchland.

There's a reason he didn't beat out Duffy for his place, and playing well against fook knows who, doesn't change that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Come on.

He's playing against a team NOBODY could find on a map, in a division where he'll have 4 tough games a season.
Posters here are getting titsy about the quality of players and teams in the Eredivisie and even they would bet on it v Scotchland.

There's a reason he didn't beat out Duffy for his place, and playing well against fook knows who, doesn't change that.

Agree, but remain disappointed he left.
At some point I think Dunk will go to bigger and better things, and he probably would have got an opportunity (I know he’s left sided and Conor is right). But it would have been up to him to take the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I would love to see him come back in a year or two and take a starting spot for us. He is very capable but unfortunate to have found himself behind Dunk & Duffy. A great player

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Come on.

I was basing my opinion on what I had seen of him playing for the Albion not in Scotchland

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would love to see him come back in a year or two and take a starting spot for us. He is very capable but unfortunate to have found himself behind Dunk & Duffy. A great player

Maybe we not only have a decent sell on clause but also first dibs if he does move sometime in the future.
I agree that he was playing against a poor side but he did play very well when he was given a chance for us.
He also fitted in with our togetherness as well.
I was sorry to see him go.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Connor did look accomplished on the ball and defended well. He looked pretty much the best player on the pitch. However, the Croatians were fairly toothless up front. They should have done better with a couple of chances. The worries came particularly from corners where Connor was fairly anonymous. This is the area that Sean Dyche highlighted as a weakness of ours when we finished behind Burnley and 'Boro. Duffy certainly sorted that in our promotion season.

Last season showed that we still have to improve in that area now that we are up against better crossers and cuter strikers. Unfortunately for Connor, I guess that he wasn't seen as the man to help us close this gap, and he would have obviously remained at best third choice behind D&D. He needed to be playing football and, although sorry he has had to go, I'm pleased he has found somewhere where he can look to be number one.

Unfortunately this is absolutely spot on.... Connor is a great ball on the deck defender, good tackler and very composed on the ball. However he did have a weakness defending set plays.... I’ve no doubt he will improve on this and it’s undeniable that if it wasn’t for his injury then heart scare he would have pushed for more of a starting spot. However he fell behind Duffy initially because of a weakness in his game and then due to injuries and lack of game time found it hard to develop as he would have.

Ironically it was another defender getting injured that I think ended Connor’s Brighton career, if he had managed to get out on loan last season and get a full season of games I’m sure he would have come back this summer and looked to push on here. But he had another season sitting watching and wanted to leave.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Goldson was only 23 then

So was Duffy! (They’re the same age)

I think he will be better than Dunk.

Based on potential? Connor G isn’t a kid. He and Duffy were both born in 1992 and Dunk in November 1991. They’re basically alll the same age. I really like the lad, but he isn’t close to Dunk’s level. If he does get there, fair play to him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Always got the impression that Connor was there in case Dunk decided to move.

Lewis stays to become a Brighton legend, Connor moves on and becomes Rangers best player, everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here