Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Connor Goldson signs on a 4-year deal

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
One of Shrewsbury's fans on here: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/90867/connor-goldson?page=5 says that he is prone to one major error a game. Not uncommon for a young centre half given the amount of work they have to do.

As Dunky seems to have done this less often more recently, replacing him with this bloke may allow Warren Aspinall to reinstitute his use of the phrase 'he's always got a ricket in him' on the radio.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
July last year he said:

"I don't want to go to a team and not play football. I want to stay here and play every week."

"It's fake to go and play under-21 football somewhere else, I need to be playing in the first team every week and there's no other place I'd rather do that than here (Shrewsbury)."

Assume he's had assurances that he will get first team opportunities then.

Could be a fantastic piece of business.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
No, slightly unfair of me further up. He is a very good player, possibly our second best last season, and generally very solid even if prone to the odd brainstorm. Will only get better too.

I think we all knew he was off. Hopefully we will invest the money in a decent winger.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
This is the type of player we should be going for more often, young quality players who have played a bit in the lower leagues but is obvious that they can play in a higher division. Along with buying quality cheaper foreigners and then selling them and/or home grown youngsters for top dollar will eventually mean we won't need Blooms money to the extent we currently do.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That's from next season, Captain S was suggesting Bloom is going for it this season, due to lesser restrictions.

Nope - at the end of that article it says that the allowable loss for this season is increased to 13m, from the 5m it was going to be under the original rules

"The maximum deviation under the regulations will remain at £6m for 2014/15 and will increase to £13m in 2015/16, in line with the maximum loss (£39m over 3 seasons) permitted under the new rules."

Our total spending in fees this season is not hugely more than last - yet.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Blimey pop out to get a spot of lunch and this all kicks off. This could be the first domino to fall in a potentially exciting spell of transfer activity for us.

If true Goldson looks a very good pick-up. Ready to play now, but almost certainly Greer's replacement next season. We can move Dunk on and then look to strengthen the wing or forward line-up with the proceeds. This is potentially thrilling stuff.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Seems like Leeds, Swindon, Swansea, Bradford, QPR have all bid for him or shown an interest previously.

Can't say I've ever even heard of him let alone seen him play, but sounds like he could be a good addition & a shrewd bit of business.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
This is the type of player we should be going for more often, young quality players who have played a bit in the lower leagues but is obvious that they can play in a higher division. Along with buying quality cheaper foreigners and then selling them and/or home grown youngsters for top dollar will eventually mean we won't need Blooms money to the extent we currently do.

Didn't we do that with Chicksen? That turned out well...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No, slightly unfair of me further up. He is a very good player, possibly our second best last season, and generally very solid even if prone to the odd brainstorm. Will only get better too.

I think we all knew he was off. Hopefully we will invest the money in a decent winger.

Surely your fans would rather he'd go to us than the farce of a club, QPR..?

Yes I know, you don't care, whoever spends the most etc...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Surely your fans would rather he'd go to us than the farce of a club, QPR..?

Yes I know, you don't care, whoever spends the most etc...

Personally yes. Can't stand QPR and I've family connections with Brighton. I imagine most aren't fussed though.

Think we should hold out for a million.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Hmm, Swindon had 100k bid turned down for him. QPR were quoted a million. I wonder what we have paid.

I've never heard of him but it looks like Dunk is definitely going. Good age and the fact he was their Player of the Year bodes well. Is very well regarded so could be a nice bit of business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here