Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Connolly's (non) penalty

Connolly - penalty or nah?

• Penalty for me, Clive

Votes: 198 70.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 83 29.5%

• Total voters

He certainly "looks for the contact", but that places him alongside pretty much every forward in the top flight.

I am concerned he'll have a bit of a reputation after today though, and that won't be helpful.

Hopefully not if the ref now gets a rocket

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Most people think it was a pen on replay. So how on earth can it ever be considered a clear and obvious error. It has made me angrier than it should. Maybe I would accept it if the corner wasn’t awarded about 2 mins after we scored 30 seconds before end of 5. What a day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Most people think it was a pen on replay. So how on earth can it ever be considered a clear and obvious error. It has made me angrier than it should. Maybe I would accept it if the corner wasn’t awarded about 2 mins after we scored 30 seconds before end of 5. What a day.

It doesn't look like Kavanagh was shown the angle from behind Pogba where you can clearly see the leg contact.

From the sole angle it seems he was presented with for his review, it was less of an obvious decision.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It doesn't look like Kavanagh was shown the angle from behind Pogba where you can clearly see the leg contact.

From the sole angle it seems he was presented with for his review, it was less of an obvious decision.

What's the point of calling the ref over to look at the monitor if they don't show him everything? Bizarre.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

His immediate instinct was to give it, so when he was asked to look at the monitor, he should have insisted on seeing more than one angle.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My mate text me before the game not a BHA fan... Your in big trouble today with Kavanagh terrible ref who favours the topsides. Yep he was right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seem we're still talking about same basic problem of VAR, that refs take as review a indication they made an error they need to reverse. yes, Connolly draws the foul, but if Pogba isnt running into him he has a shot on goal, because Pogba certainly isnt anywhere near playing the ball. somehow in frame by frame replay this is interpretable as Connolly pulls Pogba into him. :facepalm:

Jimmy Grimble

Utter shambles of a decision making progress.

Ref thinks it’s a pen [emoji736]
VAR says check, fair enough, check it [emoji736]
VAR only presents limited angles [emoji777]
VAR official gives his biased opinion to ref [emoji777]
Ref overturns his instinct [emoji777]

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Heavily United-biased pundit Rio Ferdinand says it was a penalty.

.... just hate it when they said he was jumping around when Utd scored.. The **** should be a WHU fan....

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not a penalty. Connolly is definitely looking for it, putting his hip in front of the United player who wasnt doing anything besides running along and existing. It was the right call, just like the other time he didnt get a penalty. I hope he learns something from it because it was two wasted opportunities.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He certainly "looks for the contact", but that places him alongside pretty much every forward in the top flight.

I am concerned he'll have a bit of a reputation after today though, and that won't be helpful.

I think he may have already had one after Everton last season, and it counted against him. It always disturbs me that refs say they talk about the players pre-match and what to look out for. Seems to be the scripted way of doing things. Surely everyone should start with a clean slate and every incident judged individually.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not a penalty. Connolly is definitely looking for it, putting his hip in front of the United player who wasnt doing anything besides running along and existing. It was the right call, just like the other time he didnt get a penalty. I hope he learns something from it because it was two wasted opportunities.

Of course he’s looking for it. All forwards do. That’s not the same as a dive. Any forward will shield the ball once they’re in behind and being caught up so that they either win a penalty or retain possession to keep the attack alive. If some clumsy lummox still decides to run into the back of them, there’s no-one to blame but the defending player. He shouldn’t have got himself in that position and needs to leave it for the keeper to deal with or try to get around the striker to block the shot.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Can I change my mind? I voted 'no' in the poll but having watched the angle used on MOTD it was quite clearly a penalty. And just like Shearer said forwards will do as the are trained to do - make the defender foul them.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A penalty or free kick is given in pretty much every single game for the same thing. It even happened afterwards and united were given a free kick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here