Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations, you deserved to win that

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
would of been a robbery if we had nicked a point

i'm actually quite upbeat for some reason, probaby that we played so badly and were missing key players and we still only lost by one goal and somehow won the second half

think we could both make the play-offs

over and out

We did it for Darren!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

i'm actually quite upbeat for some reason, probaby that we played so badly and were missing key players and we still only lost by one goal and somehow won the second half

over and out

That was a cracking game. In fact, it was the best game since we last beat you 3-2, probably better. You're looking good, but our midfield two bossed that today.
Thanks for your input this week, and even more so, for not whinging about decisions.

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
Should have been about 8-0 to the Albion. I wouldn't say you 'won' the second half either really as you HAD to come out and do something at 2-0 down. Pretty proud of my Albion today and after last seasons mess, this feels good.

8-0?? righto

we scored two goals in the second half and you scored one, so by that logic, yeh we won the second half 2-1

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
That was a cracking game. In fact, it was the best game since we last beat you 3-2, probably better. You're looking good, but our midfield two bossed that today.
Thanks for your input this week, and even more so, for not whinging about decisions.

Where did you think we looked good? Couldn't see it myself

Lua-Lua stand out player and fair player to Hughton - did a tactical job on us today. Playing Rosenior nullified Knudsen/Fraser.

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
I was very surprised at how weak the Ipswich defence looked. I was under the impression that solidity & organisation was a key part of their game. They looked all over the place for much of that game. Even when Ipswich came back to 2-2, you had the impression we could quite easily score again.

Mick won't be happy with that.

Personally, I think goalkeeper is a weak position for us and neither GK inspires any confidence in our back four.

We missed Berra hugely today - always look fragile without him.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Strange really, Mick used to be known as a defensive manager, and the Norwich fans told us that Chris was very defensive......yet the 3-2 at the Amex and again today were cracking games.....if that's defensive bring it on.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Strange really, Mick used to be known as a defensive manager, and the Norwich fans told us that Chris was very defensive......yet the 3-2 at the Amex and again today were cracking games.....if that's defensive bring it on.

Perhaps Ipswich are Hughton's bunnies.

Or perhaps we find it easier to play against more direct sides?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Perhaps Ipswich are Hughton's bunnies.

Or perhaps we find it easier to play against more direct sides?

If you look at our record and performances since Hughton's taken over, we play better and get more points against the better teams - teams that attack us.

kip

Aug 2, 2011

Lua-Lua stand out player and fair player to Hughton - did a tactical job on us today. Playing Rosenior nullified Knudsen/Fraser.

What you talking about? you were on fire in the second half, great game for the neutral. I feel like I've just watched the champions league final.:lol:
Lua-Lua was taking the p!ss, shame his final ball isn't that great (sometimes).

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015

over and out

“I think Brighton are a good side, I think they played very well,” McCarthy said. “They started well, they were the better side and they got the goal.

“It’s always the same, I’m looking at it thinking we could have defended it better but if we’d scored it I’d think it was, and it was.

“The second goal was a great delivery, we didn’t get a head on it and it’s one of those that Gerks can’t do anything about.

“So, we’re 2-0 down and they’re playing well. They can keep the ball, we have to chase it.

“First half, I thought they were excellent, so let’s give them credit rather than attack my own team.

“In the second half I thought we started well. I know we got away with it but we were winging it a bit trying to leave three up with Didz almost in a free role.

“I had to, it’s not being tactically clever or being really astute, if you’re 2-0 down really you’ve got to get back in the game, I had to do something and that worked.

“When they hit the post, obviously we got away with that, but I thought it was a great response from my team, it was fantastic.

“It was just disappointing that when the cross comes in [for the third goal] it takes a deflection and it just wrong-foots our lads and I think Tommy’s going to head it except for the deflection. It was one of those days. We know how everybody else feels now.”

He added: “I thought Brighton were very good, let’s try and give somebody else a bit of credit because when we’ve gone away and won away I don’t say ‘Oh, by the way, the opposition were hopeless’.

“I tend to credit my team for playing well or if we’ve had to scrap it out I give my team the credit for it. I think Brighton deserve that because they were on top and they deserved it today.”

He outlined his thinking at the break when he switched Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Josh Emmanuel for David McGoldrick and Piotr Malarczyk: “Well, we didn’t want to go 3-0 down. We had to try and get the ball and play.

“They do it well, they sit back in and they don’t give any space in behind. That’s what they were doing. There was no way we could get up the sides of them.

“I put Didzy on to try and get hold of the ball a bit more, which he did, to be fair, and leave Freddie, Ryan and Brett up the pitch just as an attacking threat.

“It was [a good response]. We made a few little errors prior to their third goal and we just didn’t deal with it.

“Very often it’s the case that it’s not one glaring error it’s tiny little ones. We don’t clear it, we don’t deal with it. Didz came on and helped change it. I thought the substitutions were good.”

He continued: “You don’t see many games like that. They got 2-0 up and they would have liked to have shut the shop up and not concede, but they didn’t, and that was because of our reaction and the spirit of the players, the way they went at it. That was great, a real positive out of the game.”

Regarding referee Keith Hill’s decision not to show Brighton defender Uwe Hünemeier a second yellow card for his very high challenge on Ryan Fraser just before the break, McCarthy said: “I’ll answer that by saying that when I saw that he’d been substituted at half-time, that was of no surprise to me.

“I asked the ref coming on at half-time ‘Do you not think it was a second yellow’. He said he was going for the ball. I said ‘There were lots of times I went for the ball and missed it and if you kick somebody in the head…’.

“But I’m not bothered, I’m not bemoaning that, not at all. I don’t like seeing players sent off. It’s the rules of the game, I think. But it’s how we perceive it. He’d just booked him and it was one of those amber cards which could come out.

The Town players claimed a penalty when Lewis Dunk appeared to handle the ball prior to the spotkick which was awarded, but McCarthy said he couldn’t comment on the incident: “I don’t know.”

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

over and out

Fair play to you for coming on here and posting that. I'd still be in the pub blaming the ref if it were the other way round.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
“I think Brighton are a good side, I think they played very well,” McCarthy said. “They started well, they were the better side and they got the goal.

“It’s always the same, I’m looking at it thinking we could have defended it better but if we’d scored it I’d think it was, and it was.

“The second goal was a great delivery, we didn’t get a head on it and it’s one of those that Gerks can’t do anything about.

“So, we’re 2-0 down and they’re playing well. They can keep the ball, we have to chase it.

“First half, I thought they were excellent, so let’s give them credit rather than attack my own team.

“In the second half I thought we started well. I know we got away with it but we were winging it a bit trying to leave three up with Didz almost in a free role.

“I had to, it’s not being tactically clever or being really astute, if you’re 2-0 down really you’ve got to get back in the game, I had to do something and that worked.

“When they hit the post, obviously we got away with that, but I thought it was a great response from my team, it was fantastic.

“It was just disappointing that when the cross comes in [for the third goal] it takes a deflection and it just wrong-foots our lads and I think Tommy’s going to head it except for the deflection. It was one of those days. We know how everybody else feels now.”

He added: “I thought Brighton were very good, let’s try and give somebody else a bit of credit because when we’ve gone away and won away I don’t say ‘Oh, by the way, the opposition were hopeless’.

“I tend to credit my team for playing well or if we’ve had to scrap it out I give my team the credit for it. I think Brighton deserve that because they were on top and they deserved it today.”

He outlined his thinking at the break when he switched Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Josh Emmanuel for David McGoldrick and Piotr Malarczyk: “Well, we didn’t want to go 3-0 down. We had to try and get the ball and play.

“They do it well, they sit back in and they don’t give any space in behind. That’s what they were doing. There was no way we could get up the sides of them.

“I put Didzy on to try and get hold of the ball a bit more, which he did, to be fair, and leave Freddie, Ryan and Brett up the pitch just as an attacking threat.

“It was [a good response]. We made a few little errors prior to their third goal and we just didn’t deal with it.

“Very often it’s the case that it’s not one glaring error it’s tiny little ones. We don’t clear it, we don’t deal with it. Didz came on and helped change it. I thought the substitutions were good.”

He continued: “You don’t see many games like that. They got 2-0 up and they would have liked to have shut the shop up and not concede, but they didn’t, and that was because of our reaction and the spirit of the players, the way they went at it. That was great, a real positive out of the game.”

Regarding referee Keith Hill’s decision not to show Brighton defender Uwe Hünemeier a second yellow card for his very high challenge on Ryan Fraser just before the break, McCarthy said: “I’ll answer that by saying that when I saw that he’d been substituted at half-time, that was of no surprise to me.

“I asked the ref coming on at half-time ‘Do you not think it was a second yellow’. He said he was going for the ball. I said ‘There were lots of times I went for the ball and missed it and if you kick somebody in the head…’.

“But I’m not bothered, I’m not bemoaning that, not at all. I don’t like seeing players sent off. It’s the rules of the game, I think. But it’s how we perceive it. He’d just booked him and it was one of those amber cards which could come out.

The Town players claimed a penalty when Lewis Dunk appeared to handle the ball prior to the spotkick which was awarded, but McCarthy said he couldn’t comment on the incident: “I don’t know.”

McCarthy really is a good man. Good luck to Ipswich.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Game of opinions. I respect your opinion but don't agree with it. Sorry mate! And I'm one of the more pessimistic Albion supporters here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, if you're still with us, that is.
That was our best performance of the season, by some distance. We've been good for periods in games, but we haven't managed to sustain the level of intensity throughout the whole game (Fulham, Huddersfield), or have such a level of intensity (Forest). We weren't that good against a poor Blackburn side, either. LuaLua has been a revelation this season so far. We've all seen his talent, but there's been little end product over a number of seasons. He seems to be thriving in our new 4-4-2 system. Rosenoir is a canny signing.

Yet, despite that, you scored two goals against us, and troubled us for most of the second half. Certain decisions could have gone your way, and the result might have been different. In terms of you, what surprised me most, given your a MM team, is that your defence wasn't up to much, whereas it was your nippy, pacy forwards/wide players that were causing us trouble (Sears, Fraser), and David McGoldrick is a different sort of player with good vision (is he the most similar player in the Championship to McCormack?). Add into this that you had some of your better players out injured, and you shouldn't get too despondent about things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here