Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to Adam El-Abd

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Common knowledge I thought SB.

His exploits in the European Cup Final won't be enough to earn him a new deal there, so he's Amex bound. We've known for some time.
Cor that would be exciting.
It must have past me by.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
AEA.jpg

Andrew_97

May 21, 2012
Hello from Egypt

Hello there,
I'm Egyptian and I came accross this thread while doing a Google search for El-Abd, and I was surprised to see the level of enthusiasm here and how some people are saying they'll start following the Egyptian team! I've actually been following Brighton's results this season, hoping that they could compete for promotion so that we would have another Egyptian player in the EPL. But I hadn't seen El-Abd play at all before our friendly with Cameroon. I don't think he faced a good enough attack from Cameroon (which was the local-based team not the first team) for people here to be able to judge him from this match but I think he was fine with the little he had to do.

One thing a commentor was saying was that he didn't pass forwards from the back during this match, and mostly played long balls or balls back to the keeper. Well it's not the most important thing for a defender, but is he a good passer at the club?

By the way, the Cameroon game was a really poor game from us for a few reasons, one of them is that the team was missing 5 important players. Three of them will be there for tomorrow's match against Togo. Also, Egyptian players are pretty moody and they tend to not give their best against weak teams. Togo's team will be their first team so it will hopefully be a better match.

Finally, I hate to disappoint anyone, but Bradley (our coach) has been calling up a big number of players these past months to look at them, and a few have not been called back, so there's no guarantee that Adam will have a place in the team but I think he has a decent chance to at least be in the 18.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hello there,
I'm Egyptian and I came accross this thread while doing a Google search for El-Abd, and I was surprised to see the level of enthusiasm here and how some people are saying they'll start following the Egyptian team! I've actually been following Brighton's results this season, hoping that they could compete for promotion so that we would have another Egyptian player in the EPL. But I hadn't seen El-Abd play at all before our friendly with Cameroon. I don't think he faced a good enough attack from Cameroon (which was the local-based team not the first team) for people here to be able to judge him from this match but I think he was fine with the little he had to do.

One thing a commentor was saying was that he didn't pass forwards from the back during this match, and mostly played long balls or balls back to the keeper. Well it's not the most important thing for a defender, but is he a good passer at the club?

By the way, the Cameroon game was a really poor game from us for a few reasons, one of them is that the team was missing 5 important players. Three of them will be there for tomorrow's match against Togo. Also, Egyptian players are pretty moody and they tend to not give their best against weak teams. Togo's team will be their first team so it will hopefully be a better match.

Finally, I hate to disappoint anyone, but Bradley (our coach) has been calling up a big number of players these past months to look at them, and a few have not been called back, so there's no guarantee that Adam will have a place in the team but I think he has a decent chance to at least be in the 18.

Hi Andrew, interesting to hear some feedback on El-Abd from an Egyptian perspective. It's a shame he didn't get to play against Eto'o!
We are a team that always wants to play out from the back, El-Abd is not the most naturally gifted player when it comes to that side of the game but that is something he does every week. Passing back to the keeper is not a surprise, it's usually that or a short pass to another centreback (who is a better passing player) or to a midfielder coming deep to get the ball. Definitely not playing long balls. So maybe that is down to nerves, or coaches intruction (USA were quite a direct team under Bradley).

Andrew_97

May 21, 2012
No I don't think Bradley likes long balls, but anyway it was just two times El-Abd did that as far as I remember and he was under slight pressure (but could still have passed).

He mostly plays centre back for Brighton right? Cause I heard something about right back or left back...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He's played both fullback positions many times in the past, and even holding midfield a few times years ago, but he is most definitely a centreback. That's the only position he's looked good at Championship level.

Andrew_97

May 21, 2012
That's not the right time. Game starts at 20.30 Sudan time, so 17.30 GMT . Lineups will be known 15-20 min. before kickoff.

Andrew_97

May 21, 2012
I just stuck the two arabic comments into google translate... the first came out as nonsense, but the second just said 'Monster'!!!
Haha, monster is used positively in Arabic slang, like in the sense of a big tough guy (in a good way).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here