Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Congratulations Man City.........

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Does anyone else think that a player wage cap might put an end to this.

Back in the day IIRC Hurstpierpoint's very own Jimmy Hill helped secure a minimum wage for professional footballers as they were so poorly paid.
Don't we now need a maximum so that more clubs can compete financially?
Lets say the cap is £100k a week, Man City pay every player a £100k a week what changes?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I may be wrong, but I can't imagine City fans get all that much satisfaction from these titles. I appreciate money alone doesn't equal titles and success, and they DO play wonderful football. But they are so far removed from the Man City of old, its like a different club.

Then again, maybe I'm breaking a few panes in my little glass house there.

I'm with you but would you rather we carried on as we are or get taken over by a multi zillionaire and actually win something.
Imagine watching Brighton play in Europe before you die.
I know the exception is Leicester but it seems you have to be a very rich club to succeed unfortunately.
Ever the optimist I am hoping we flirt with the UEFA cup slot next season as West Ham are this season just to prove me wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's hard to know how it would feel. Also being successful so regularly breeds contempt.

I've seen it here. Lower placed clubs being described as 'tinpot', the very thing we used to counter with the objection that we were 'proper fans'.

Then there is the JCLs, the temporary player centric fanbases, the transient support.

Success is mostly bought these days and I think my ego would be confused by a huge investor. I'd want joy at seeing the club I watched in Div4 at the top, but I'd also feel that all those silly childhood dreams were fulfilled by a consortium with big pockets rather than a Roy of the Rovers tail.

I've often said if Albion were taken over by oil merchants that would be it for me. But I couldn't stop loving its heart if not its mind.

I just hope it doesn't happen and that for as long as I'm around in this life Tony is too.

Yes, to a large degree our rise to the top table came on the back of a wealthy investor, but he was a true supporter of the club. And that does make me feel so much less compromised in my support of the ideal of an organic club.

That sir, is a very fine post. I have nothing to add, it sums up my feelings exactly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm with you but would you rather we carried on as we are or get taken over by a multi zillionaire and actually win something.
I know the exception is Leicester but it seems you have to be a very rich club to succeed unfortunately.
Ever the optimist I am hoping we flirt with the UEFA cup slot next season as West Ham are this season just to prove me wrong.

I'm compromised on that, for the reasons of the chap I just quoted.

I dream of seeing BHA lift silverware, but I honestly think just once would be enough. If we could land an FA Cup and maybe have a season in Europe, then I think my BHA soul would be satiated.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Hats off to Pep.
He has looked at potter as a manager he wants to emulate and by embracing the Graham Potter Footballing ethos he has achieved great success.
Hopefully this will also encourage aguero to see how he could develop as a player under the guidance of Graham Potter.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
As dominant teams go I far prefer Pep' Citeh to United under Sir Alex or Chelsea under Mourinho. They are a joy to watch and don't have to cheat their way or employ the dark arts to win matches.
But the success of the class of 92 under SAF is some achievement, you can't deny that.

Pep has spent hundreds of millions to get city where they are.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But the success of the class of 92 under SAF is some achievement, you can't deny that.

Pep has spent hundreds of millions to get city where they are.

Indeed, but Man Utd systemically intimidated officials by surrounding the referee, the snarling expletives of Roy Keane, Fergie time, banning journalists, etc, and the arrogance of the fans.

Citeh fans are more grounded and Pep plays a cleaner brand of football. Just my opinion, mind.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Fabulous achievement, having spent so little on players and on their wages. I'd rather stuff my dick in a blender than watch then annihilate a side who's collective value is one thousandth of the collective value of the citeh squad.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville

Definitely the former. It would all be so tainted if success was bought from money effectively stolen from i.e. ordinary Russians/Bahranians, and at the hands of someone who didn't know where Brighton was on a map.

I'm so so glad we've got Tony. I would sooner see us fall back down the leagues than have him sell up to some conglomerate. If that did happen that would probably be it for me.

It must be particularly galling for clubs like Leeds with no current success and the ignominy of foreign ownership.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Hats off to Pep.
He has looked at potter as a manager he wants to emulate and by embracing the Graham Potter Footballing ethos he has achieved great success.
Hopefully this will also encourage aguero to see how he could develop as a player under the guidance of Graham Potter.
You never know :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As dominant teams go I far prefer Pep' Citeh to United under Sir Alex or Chelsea under Mourinho. They are a joy to watch and don't have to cheat their way or employ the dark arts to win matches.
This is where I'm at too. No great surprise they won it, but the football is wonderful to watch and it means Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd didn't win it - which is nice.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No congratulations from me to a PetroState just sportswashing its money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, congrats to them. Can we now have a point or three off them please, we haven’t come close over the last four years. It’s annoying as they seem to have it in them to lose to bottom six clubs more often than you’d expect.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Definitely the former. It would all be so tainted if success was bought from money effectively stolen from i.e. ordinary Russians/Bahranians, and at the hands of someone who didn't know where Brighton was on a map.

I'm so so glad we've got Tony. I would sooner see us fall back down the leagues than have him sell up to some conglomerate. If that did happen that would probably be it for me.

It must be particularly galling for clubs like Leeds with no current success and the ignominy of foreign ownership.

I sort of agree but you have to improve, I hope we do under Tony but Leicester managed to do it under the Thai bloke, everyone loved him, I don't know but I assume he had a lot more money than Mr Bloom.
But to become like Man City, no, but I don't want another season like this season every season either.
Its all up in the air at the moment, we could be without Biss, White and Potter come August.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's all about the money, money, money ....

Well yes, but we are in no position to point fingers. We are in the Premier League, in a lovely ground with a state-of-the-art training centre. We are miles away from where we were in 1997. We haven't got that because we deserved it for all our sufferings - we've got it because we have a rich owner. The only difference between us and Man City is they've got richer owners who've spent more.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Well yes, but we are in no position to point fingers. We are in the Premier League, in a lovely ground with a state-of-the-art training centre. We are miles away from where we were in 1997. We haven't got that because we deserved it for all our sufferings - we've got it because we have a rich owner. The only difference between us and Man City is they've got richer owners who've spent more.

I think you can argue that the ownership thing is far more than just money - if your owner is a life-long fan, from a family who've been involved with the club for decades, it's not quite the same as being owned by an oil state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here