Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Confident But Not Complacent

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Really lovely long piece about the match tomorrow, on BBC Breakfast, a few moments ago - did anyone else see it? Great to see the 100 year old Grimsby fan who was at their semi final in 1939.
Such a decent bunch of fans and I hope they have a cracking day tomorrow, but not too cracking. :)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Really lovely long piece about the match tomorrow, on BBC Breakfast, a few moments ago - did anyone else see it? Great to see the 100 year old Grimsby fan who was at their semi final in 1939.
Such a decent bunch of fans and I hope they have a cracking day tomorrow, but not too cracking. :)
I caught it just after 9.30. Good to see our own dullard featuring.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
After getting the win against Palace - thank goodness - I feel much more relaxed about our game with Grimsby. In fact I’m really looking forward to it. I don’t know why but for the first time in years I’ve got the Cup bug. It didn’t really affect me in the 2019 run when we lost to Man City in the semifinal, probably because I was more concerned about our appalling league form.

This time it seems different there’s a real buzz in the air in everything that the Albion are doing at the moment. So on Sunday me, my daughter, son-in-law, grandson and loads of friends are Amex bound complete with face paints, inflatable seagulls and something else I’m not telling you about!

Am I confident? Yes. Complacent? Definitely not! Grimsby turned over Southampton, admittedly they got the rub of the green, so I’m not discounting a similar, if rare, repeat of that. Bring it on! :albion2:
There must be plenty on this forum who remember embarrassing defeats by non-league teams in the past( Bedford Town in the 60's, Walton and Hersham, and Leatherhead in the 70's, Kingstonian in the 90's, ) , and Grimsby are better than any of those teams, , so I hope there is no complacency amongst players and fans.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, I’m heading down to Brighton in about hours time with my wife and two kids in tow. They won’t be at the game with me, but looking forward to spending tomorrow in and around the seafront doing family stuff before the main event begins on Sunday.

Don't have fish and chips here. Can't help feeling it'll be a disappointment.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
As long as we don’t put out a weakened side full of squad players and youth players I’m confident we can win comfortably. Too many changes and the game is wide open and Grimsby will fancy their chances.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact we all have to deal with is that we will never have a better chance of getting to Wembley than this.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Don't have fish and chips here. Can't help feeling it'll be a disappointment.
Funnily enough I’m sat in the sunshine outside Captain’s by the beach. Daughter’s having some chips, I’m happy with a nice cold pint of Kronenberg.

Weather much better than advertised, and Brighton has been very hospitable so far. If you could maintain that level of hospitality on the pitch tomorrow it would be hugely appreciated. :)

72881547-A7E9-4C2A-9B86-683359D74BC1.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Funnily enough I’m sat in the sunshine outside Captain’s by the beach. Daughter’s having some chips, I’m happy with a nice cold pint of Kronenberg.

Weather much better than advertised, and Brighton has been very hospitable so far. If you could maintain that level of hospitality on the pitch tomorrow it would be hugely appreciated. :)

I don't see why we can't. You ('re players) can run around the pitch at your leisure, just so long as you don't take our ball.

Excuse my ignorance here - being on NSC I figured you lived down here or something. What is your connection with us?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I don't see why we can't. You ('re players) can run around the pitch at your leisure, just so long as you don't take our ball.

Excuse my ignorance here - being on NSC I figured you lived down here or something. What is your connection with us?
Tried to find a previous response where I’d answered this, but having failed to do so I’ll keep it short and sweet.

As a follower of a club who for many years had ambitions of moving to a new stadium, and continuously failed to do so, I was intrigued how then League One Brighton, playing at an athletics track, were managing to build a £100m stadium as magnificent as the Amex. Alas, I had yet to learn of your uncle Tony.

Anyway, found myself sticking around as I found it to be a great forum in general - it’s helped me do everything from make better kitchenware choices to directly sort out a couple of really complex mortgages. It’s a credit to your football club, and the internet.

And funnily enough, I’ve never really contributed to the football threads, or at least BHA ones. It wasn’t my place. Until now.

It’s poignant to me. I followed the construction of the Amex closely (the football ground nerd that I am), and it’s somewhere I always wanted to visit. But since I don’t enjoy watching neutral football live, I knew I’d have to wait until Town were playing there. Never did I imagine it would be game of such magnitude - surely the grandest scale possible for a game between Brighton and Grimsby, at Brighton, and definitely grander than the last time this fixture happened.

The build-up to this weekend has been tricky for me, personally. My wife wasn’t happy at the idea of me f***ing off to the football on Mother’s Day, and wasn’t keen on the idea of spending the weekend in Brighton either.

But you know what? We have, and it’s been f***ing great. All four of us, me, wife and two young kids have loved it. Stumbled upon the Pavilion and did the tour this morning. What an amazing place that is!? Spent a few hours on the pier, walked down to the marina (got a taxi back, was further than I thought), wondered down the Lanes, had a bite to eat. Haven’t seen it all, but from what I have, you have a city to be proud of. Resplendent even in the fickle (but generally decent) weather of March.

Tomorrow is a quick Mother’s Day breakfast at The Ivy then onto the main event, for me at least. It will be a spine tingling occasion, for so many reasons. To see my team, f***ing Grimsby Town for fucks sake, in a quarter final, is unfathomable to me. But to be at the Amex, against Brighton, after years of fraternising on here, for a game of this scale, just seems like fate.

What does that mean? I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

Edit: sorry, forgot to keep it short and sweet

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As a follower of a club who for many years had ambitions of moving to a new stadium, and continuously failed to do so, I was intrigued how then League One Brighton, playing at an athletics track, were managing to build a £100m stadium as magnificent as the Amex. Alas, I had yet to learn of your uncle Tony.

Got it, thanks. Tony is of course my favourite uncle.

It’s poignant to me. I followed the construction of the Amex closely (the football ground nerd that I am), and it’s somewhere I always wanted to visit. But since I don’t enjoy watching neutral football live, I knew I’d have to wait until Town were playing there. Never did I imagine it would be game of such magnitude - surely the grandest scale possible for a game between Brighton and Grimsby, at Brighton

Given that the semi final goes to Wembley, then it's about the biggest (vs League cup semi-final), so yes, a great chance for you to come down.

But you know what? We have, and it’s been f***ing great. All four of us, me, wife and two young kids have loved it.
Excellent, glad you've had a good time.

Stumbled upon the Pavilion and did the tour this morning. What an amazing place that is!?
Yep, it's lovely. Got married their last millennium :)

Spent a few hours on the pier, walked down to the marina (got a taxi back, was further than I thought), wondered down the Lanes, had a bite to eat. Haven’t seen it all, but from what I have, you have a city to be proud of.
Thanks

Tomorrow is a quick Mother’s Day breakfast at The Ivy
I was there today. I like their eggs Benedict if that's your thing.

It will be a spine tingling occasion, for so many reasons. To see my team, f***ing Grimsby Town for fucks sake, in a quarter final, is unfathomable to me. But to be at the Amex, against Brighton, after years of fraternising on here, for a game of this scale, just seems like fate.
Yep. Obviously I'm hoping we win, but I kinda hope you don't lose badly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here