Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer Geeks- Help please!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Check the TV settings for things like overscan which can effect this.

Does the TV have a Component video input (I know you said it has no VGA)? If so, VGA to Component tends to better and will give HD quality from a computer output.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No need !
Yes , I read the thread - just wondering why the op was using VGA - hdmi instead of hdmi-hdmi .
The reply re : where to buy adaptors was to poster Cullip4.
Thanks for your concern though .

Sorry, I'm bored, embarrassed and also exiled in the Midlands!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Check the TV settings for things like overscan which can effect this.

Does the TV have a Component video input (I know you said it has no VGA)? If so, VGA to Component tends to better and will give HD quality from a computer output.

No, HDMI input's the only option (I think). Played around with the TV settings but that all seems to be OK.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
To just the TV.

Unfortunately it's one of those problems that can be caused by lots of different issues and I would say it is most likely caused by problems of conversion from an anologue signal to a digital signal and your laptop for some reason rescanning its selection. You have probably already tried this but make sure you have the latest graphics driver for your laptop and try different screen resolution. You could also have a program running that is periodically interupting your signal. Check your taskmanager to check any performance issues. However it may just be the issue of vga-hdmi as I know generally it's not seen as a great option and some cables are better at managing this than others

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Have you tried fiddling with the laptop video card settings? Check if you can get the screen on the laptop simultaneously.

Also is it exactly 20 seconds every time, or does it vary? If it's exact I'd guess it's a software problem (either TV or laptop) causing a regular switching between input/output, if it's irregular then it might be hardware causing a random loss of signal, which the TV then interprets as a cable being pulled, giving a brief blank screen.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ok, just plugged it all in again. It did the black screen thing a couple of times but now seems fine. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Now I've just got to hope for a decent stream!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here