Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Compulsory cycling law passed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But wouldn't it be great just to have an 8 hour period with no motor vehicles.

No wee-woos no drivey.

I think it would be so silent and surreal we just wouldn't be able to cope for the first couple of hours.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Same old lazy arguments that are separate from the OP which is about removing the reliance on cars. The car people then moan about helmets and red lights. Is that stopping you from cycling?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I should have posted an inflammatory thread, first thing, let everybody get their bile and hatred out, and then post this thread now.
It could have been a really interesting discussion.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

No wee-woos no drivey.

I think it would be so silent and surreal we just wouldn't be able to cope for the first couple of hours.

I would love it. I would spend the first few hours doing timed laps of the Wolverhampton Ring Road - somewhere I always avoid on my bike.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

No wee-woos no drivey.

It'll be like the last fuel strike/blockade - bloody lovely on the roads that week!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
This.
High visability vests or jackets should also be worn.

That doesn't help though - cyclists (wearing full hi-vis, with lights and helmet, and reflective bits on clothing) still get hit by drivers not driving responsibly, and knowing that the courts seem to think driving is a right that shouldn't be taken away.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Er, read the article. It seems that 2 cyclists collided head on at a set of traffic lights redesigned to make it safer for cyclists. It appears there were injuries to both cyclists. One can only assume that one went through a red light as the crash was head on.

I was naively assuming that at a "cyclist friendly " junction that red lights would be observed, at least by cyclists.

The redesign was criticised by the Cambridge Cycling Campaign, as stated in the article, so to say it is now 'cycling-friendly' seems to be wide of the mark:

Cambridge Cycling Campaign chairman Martin Lucas-Smith told the cycling website road.cc: "Stuffing evermore traffic through this accident-prone junction clearly remains the priority. We think this is totally inappropriate for a 'cycling city', and against [the council's] own policy to favour cycling and walking. The scheme is better than the current junction design, but it would be hard to make it otherwise." ·

I don't know the junction, but it could be a case that all sets of lights were green for cyclists and nobody was riding illegally. But why not wildly speculate and blame the victim as usual...

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Used to cycle to work round trip 20 miles... had two bikes stolen whilst being locked up inside my block of flats.

I no longer waste my money and time on bikes, I am happier.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That doesn't help though - cyclists (wearing full hi-vis, with lights and helmet, and reflective bits on clothing) still get hit by drivers not driving responsibly, and knowing that the courts seem to think driving is a right that shouldn't be taken away.

High vis does help.
I can see a cyclist in high vis before i see one wearing all black or even camoflage. I drive along a road between Newhaven and Lewes(C7), this road is rural with trees and hedges on both sides, many cyclists use this road and the sensible ones wear high vis or yellow cycle jackets and helmets.
One bloke that rides along this road wears full camoflage on a dull day you see him at the last second.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
High vis does help.
I can see a cyclist in high vis before i see one wearing all black or even camoflage. I drive along a road between Newhaven and Lewes(C7), this road is rural with trees and hedges on both sides, many cyclists use this road and the sensible ones wear high vis or yellow cycle jackets and helmets.
One bloke that rides along this road wears full camoflage on a dull day you see him at the last second.

So why do drivers still hit cyclists who are wearing hi-vis and have lights? And why do the police and courts accept "sorry mate, I didn't see you" as a valid excuse?

Hi-vis is a state of mind - there are plenty of things you can do with your riding position that is better for being seen than simply wearing a yellow top. There's no point glowing if you're stuck so far to the side of the road as to be out of the field of vision in the first place. There is conflicting evidence about hi-vis anyway. It has been shown that reflective clothing (this includes reflective parts on black clothing) is better than standard fluorescent hi-vis kit.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I wonder if any Bolivians would care to use the massively expensive Cycle Lane from Beddingham past Firle to God knows where. I've driven past it a zillion times and not seen a bike yet.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So why do drivers still hit cyclists who are wearing hi-vis and have lights? And why do the police and courts accept "sorry mate, I didn't see you" as a valid excuse?

Hi-vis is a state of mind - there are plenty of things you can do with your riding position that is better for being seen than simply wearing a yellow top. There's no point glowing if you're stuck so far to the side of the road as to be out of the field of vision in the first place. There is conflicting evidence about hi-vis anyway. It has been shown that reflective clothing (this includes reflective parts on black clothing) is better than standard fluorescent hi-vis kit.

Sorry I cannot agree with you here teaboy. all I am saying is that when I am driving along a country road I see the hi-vis from a distance, and sometimes the cyclists wearing dark clothing blend in with the trees.
everyone has to wear hi-vis on construction sites now, it makes sense to be seen. My wife wears hi-vis when she is riding her horse.(not on a construction site):)

I can not answer your question on why cyclists get hit, drivers on the phone my guess :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here