Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The guy who used to walk his sheep round town on a lead

Leo Sayer singing to himself on his way home on the 49 bus before he was a success

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Southdown were the major bus operators in the South and were green.

Quite right. All trolley buses were corporation run and although you are correct that Southdown buses were green with cream lettering there were two exceptions - the coastal run to Rottindean which operated an open top cream bus (No 17) and a similar cream liveried bus to Arundel (which I think only ran at weekends). Both ran out of Pool Meadow which was the Southdown terminal while Corporation services ran from the Steyne.

Of course in those days the likes of you and I would be reliant on bus services as relatively few families had cars and when they did they weren't usually available for running the kids around in the manner of today's Chelsea taxis :)

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I love that photo of the bus with the massive uncle sams advert!

To continue the thread, when the Mazda fountain used to light up at night and each one of the water jets was lit a different colour.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
white-helmet.jpg
Unique to Brighton Police in the summer. 1970 saw the end of these better than a blue flashing light. :clap2:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The mangle in the changing rooms at the King Alfred

White & Wilson grocers on Robertson Road, next door tot he basketworks and opposite the butchers.

(aal a bit local to where we lived, but a clear part of my childhood - now all sadly gone) The Hovis bakery on The Drove, and opposite, the sweet shop on the corner of Reigate Road and that opposite the Off Licence.

MOG

Miserable Old Git
Dec 16, 2007
Off My Trolley.
The coach park in Whitehawk Road. The coaches used to unload the day trippers in town and then come to park for the day. On a hot Sunday in summer there could be dozens of them. Groups of us kids would 'borrow' the dustpans and brushs from home, then go down there and offer to clean them out ready for the return journey. The drivers would pay you and any money you found that the passengers had dropped was yours (a great way to earn extra pocket money). This was during the 1950s.

D

Deleted User X18H

The mangle in the changing rooms at the King Alfred

White & Wilson grocers on Robertson Road, next door tot he basketworks and opposite the butchers.

(aal a bit local to where we lived, but a clear part of my childhood - now all sadly gone) The Hovis bakery on The Drove, and opposite, the sweet shop on the corner of Reigate Road and that opposite the Off Licence.
Now a mobile phone repairers and a poofy hairdressers

D

Deleted User X18H

I also watched it from the beach opposite to where it crashed! it only missed the pier by a few feet.
My Mum got some great photos of the actual indeident the wing hitting the mast and actually contacted the pilot, his name was Squadren Leader Steve Johnson. She has loads of correspondence with him and receieved a Christmas Card until well into the 90's. The Red Arrows seldom came back to Brighton after that!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Would you Adam and Eve it they are only booked in for 18th of September

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Changing trains at Brighton station on the way to school, or the Albion, and trying to work out when the next train was from this board.

Attachments

• brighton_station_train_board.jpg
    brighton_station_train_board.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 558

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports