Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Competence of the officials

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Halliday committed three yellow card offences and got away with all of them. LuaLua should have been booked for diving after the 4th attempt of trying to con the ref.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The referee did not even know how to restart the game. Just before half-time there was a "dropped ball" but he threw the ball down so hard that it bounced up four feet making it impossible to play as if it was Aussie Rules football!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The ref was farcical today. Unlike some I'm not sure he got many big decisions wrong, but he was very much a reactive referee rather than making his won decisions - there was one clear foul that he waited until we had to ball again to blow for, as if he was scared to blow it if Blackpool had emerged with the advantage. His failure to deal with the time wasting was unbelievable. When Blackpool made the double substitution, the first guy ambled off at a snail's pace, so the ref ran over to the second one to hurry him along, but after a few steps ended up slowly walking along with him, I have never seen anything like it! Blackpool owned him the entire game on timewasting, the players were pretty much ignoring his ocassional attempts to speed things up because he didn't have the balls to do anything about it.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot about that incident in the first half where we won a foul and the Blackpool player should clearly have been booked, but played the sympathy card by pretending to be injured for a while. Again, the referee totally fell for it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Absolutely agree. Officiating across all divisions verges on the farcical. The ref we had for Charlton was the notable exception, but invariably they are hideous bunglers.

Agree about the Charlton ref. I don't want to stand up for today's ref, as he wasn't much cop, but it's FA/UEFA/FIFA that need to do something about time-wasting. There is nothing more infuriating than players been more skilled at finding ways at running the clock down than at their ball control, positional play, vision, passing, finishing, etc. Their full-backs were a disgrace today, how they didn't get booked for time-wasting, play-acting, etc, I just don't know, but if there's one thing that will stop me going to watch football, it's this.
Have to agree that LuaLua really doesn't help himself at times: refs are more likely to award him free-kicks when fouled if he doesn't go over so easily at other times.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If players didn't feel the need to try and con the officials at every opportunity (Lua Lua) then maybe the standard would improve.

As much as l hate to admit it, you are absolutely right. I love Kaz, but given the choice as whether to try to stay on his feet or go down, he will invariably take the second option. That makes decision making for referees all the more difficult.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As much as l hate to admit it, you are absolutely right. I love Kaz, but given the choice as whether to try to stay on his feet or go down, he will invariably take the second option. That makes decision making for referees all the more difficult.

The 2 blatant body checks on him in the first half weren't difficult decisions to give ...and yet......

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Some of Blackpool's time wasting was very clever though, they'd get a throw-in or free kick and all walk away from the ball, eventually one of them would amble over and take it but not so slowly as to be able to be booked for it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That's two awful Refs we've had to contend with in 4 days. The Ref on Friday at Huddersfield was equally pathetic and ineffective. Yes he brandished lots of cards but at no stage did he actually exert enough authority to deter the Terriers blatant time wasting for the last 60 minutes of the game. Even Mark Robins and their ball boys took the mickey by killing the game and the Ref never intervened other than to point at his watch - from 40 yards away. The Refs Assistant did feck all too. Completely ineffective, no wonder players feel they can get away with it.

I'm mindful that sometimes the Ref can do us a big favour too - The Albion performance at Barnsley was so dire with Ulloa having his stupid head on, willing to fall over at the slightest touch and then being so petulant that it was amazing he didn't get a red card. Yet a Barnsley player (rightly) did get a red card - but it seemed harsh compared to Ulloa's prima donna act, which was embarrassing at times. D-Rod also got badly clattered in the first few minutes and did a very latin multiple roll as if shot by a sniper, but then got up as if miraculously cured. Understandably the home crowd then really got on our backs and in the Refs ear about us play acting, which didn't do us any favours for the rest of the game.

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath

This! He's a better player than that and needs to stay on his feet rather than going to ground every time he doesn't beat his man.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Funny how every time we fail to win the ref is crap. This must be why we're not in the Champions League.

Funny how if the ref and linos didn't show, there wouldn't be a game.

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
well everyone close to me can see the ref always gets it wrong
even when the ball is at the other end.
mind you these are the same people who berate the linesman every corner
because the ball isn't in the d when only it's shadow needs to be

The ball has to be INSIDE the quadrant.
Check out the law on the FIFA website.
Too many inept officials still get this wrong.
Most fans know this law, hence the beratings

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I think that might be either

a) The most ridiculous made up rule I've ever read on NSC
b) The most ridiculous rule in any sport in the world

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As hasbeen the problem for as long as I have been connected with football it is the nconcistency and interpretation of the rules/laws. Aclassic example wasin the1st hakf when player cynucally body checked/pulled back Lingaard when he was racing through the lino flagged and a kivk was given but no obvious yellow card. There was another in ident in tge 2nd hakf that warranted a yellow when again Lingaard , I think it was, was cynically hacked down but the player stayed down for treatment and thus avoided an obvious card. Perhaps the ref forgot to give it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
well everyone close to me can see the ref always gets it wrong
even when the ball is at the other end.

Are you saying the position of the ball can change depending on the setting sun!!!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The problem is, football league referees aren't full time. Invest in quality referees, where they can focus on that as their sole job, and I am sure performances will improve.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The ball has to be INSIDE the quadrant.
Check out the law on the FIFA website.
Too many inept officials still get this wrong.
Most fans know this law, hence the beratings

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-17---the-corner-kick

Procedure
The ball must be placed inside the corner arc nearest to the point where the ball crossed the goal line
The corner flagpost must not be moved
Opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc until the ball is in play
The ball must be kicked by a player of the attacking team
The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves
The kicker must not play the ball again until it has touched another player

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here