Commuting from East Grinstead

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are certainly areas of Copthorne that are RIGHT under the flight path.

I must have only been to South Copthorne then. Where I've been, you can see them coming in, probably 2-3 miles to the North but you can't hear them at all.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The Scientologists have their UK base in East Grinstead, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) have a massive temple at Newchapel, the Jehovah's Witnesses have a couple of places nearby, and both the Rosicrucians and Opus Dei have conference premises in or near the town. Not to mention all the usual religions.

You could just move in and choose one :)

I don't imagine they'll be away to sway me from my religious beliefs, or lack thereof. :lolol:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Can only echo these points. EG itself is a fairly mundane place but the surrounding villages are great, with walks on the forest just 5 minutes away. We drive to Lewes and get the train on match days in around an hour, so not much hassle on that front.

Also, on the Copthorne front, my knowledge is that its quite a nice little village/town but with not much character, good links to crawley and motorways though.

Good to know. To be honest mundane is fine if I can get a family home and walk to the forest! But we'll see, it's just one place on a long list that I'm trying to find out a little more about.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I must have only been to South Copthorne then. Where I've been, you can see them coming in, probably 2-3 miles to the North but you can't hear them at all.

Copthorne certainly does have noisy planes, a bunch of school mates used to live there. You also hear them in East Grinstead at my Mum's place.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Having a few RightMove searches on the go ahead of a move back to Sussex, I have also noticed East Grinstead has struck me as quite cheap, given where it is, for property.

[MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] tells me it's dull and not to live there.

In all honesty, I'm unlikely to - to me it's Sussex in name alone. Sussex, for me, ends somewhere South of Gatwick.

It really depends what you're looking for [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. EG is a bit dreary IMO. And weird; it is the home of Scientology in the UK, for a start. Then again, as [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] says, it is a good commuter distance from London and isn't far from Brighton.

Ultimately, a lot depends on your stage in life. If you have a family then obviously things like schooling and speed of commute are more important than for a first time buyer trying to get on the ladder, where buying in a seemingly affordable town might make a lot more sense.

I moved there temporarily when the Mrs and I decided to set up together, so I sold my place and moved in to hers while she was selling.

I thought the plan was to find another place in EG but the longer I was there the more I needed to get out and with respect to anyone there I think it's a dump. It's high street is run down and over indexing in charity and five bob shops. and the roads in and out of the place get jammed to hell. There's pretty well bugger all to do there except the usual kids boozers. No decent restaurants that you would go back to. The train is at the end of the line so a seat guaranteed but it's a totally boring stop/start journey all the way up to town and I'd rather the fast service from somewhere like 3 Bridges - just not worth the pain of the traffic.

On the plus side it's got a Waitrose

My Mrs was there nearly 20 years and was delighted to leave the place too

Apologies to any residents, no offence meant but I've lived in a few places and it ranks right down at the bottom - happy to elaborate and give what I reckon is a genuinely impartial opinion if anyone wants to PM me

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having a few RightMove searches on the go ahead of a move back to Sussex, I have also noticed East Grinstead has struck me as quite cheap, given where it is, for property.

[MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] tells me it's dull and not to live there.

In all honesty, I'm unlikely to - to me it's Sussex in name alone. Sussex, for me, ends somewhere South of Gatwick.

Isn't Gatwick the most northerly part of Sussex, both east and west so pretty much everything is south!!!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't know much about Copthorne, but Horsham was also on my list. Looks nice, affordable and commutable.

Ha! We ended up in Horsham, neither of us knew it or had any affinity but what a great place. OK, it isn't Brighton but it has everything we need and I regard it as a mini Guildford. A really thriving town centre with a good range of shops and a good few restaurants/boozers too. Good schools (if that's what you're after) and a good and frequent service into London.

Downside I'd say is it's a bit of a trek to get to the M25 and no decent cinema so have to go to Creepy if you want that.

We had a budget that limited us so couldn't do places we might have preferred like (Brighton/Reigate/Dorking) but we are delighted and have no regrets at all

Last edited:

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I have just moved there for very similar reasons. Good balance of location, being in Sussex, close to London, relatively cheap housing etc. it is a very friendly town perhaps more family focussed and would recommend it.

Work occasionally in London and train journey is a pleasure. Usually get a seat with a table and trains clean and punctual.

Definitely the best of many worlds although could use a sea view...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn't Gatwick the most northerly part of Sussex, both east and west so pretty much everything is south!!!!

Indeed. As I said somewhere South of Gatwick - I'm just not sure where that point is!

In all honesty, most of my Sussex-dwelling life has been spent between Arundel to the West, Brighton to the East and Findon to the North. A lot of the rest is a complete mystery to me.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I work just south of Copthorne on the most easterly part of Crawley and depending on the direction the wind is blowing sometimes you hear the planes and others you don't, its never loud enough to impact on your day though.

I would recommend Horsham for families, lived there most of my life (6 years in Brighton early twenties) and for families it is perfect, schools are all good pretty much, town is OK, there enough to do of an evening out without it being crazy. Easy into London, easy to Brighton facilities for pretty much anything you need to do close to hand. It can be quite expensive for housing buts that due to where it is and what it offers.

Oh and Horsham has loads of Brighton fans these days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I work just south of Copthorne on the most easterly part of Crawley and depending on the direction the wind is blowing sometimes you hear the planes and others you don't, its never loud enough to impact on your day though.

To be fair, we could only hear/see the planes when having a bbq or sitting out in the garden as the double glazing was good.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Name one that isn't.

Kemp Town high street (St George's Road) is in rude health with everything a good town centre should have: local butcher, greengrocer, excellent coffee shops, cafes, decent pubs and a wonderful patisserie along with the little Co-Op for everything else.

bha25

IN GUS WE TRUST !
Jan 9, 2010
Copthorne
EG is alright place as people been saying there worst places to life in than EG. Pubs not to bad, got 6 or 7 pubs love going to The Starr in Felbridge which just outside EG. It may have the Scum fans alll over the place but who cares.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports