Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commuting from Brighton (Preston Park) to London

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Thanks again everyone for your comments, much appreciated!

As for living close to Brighton station vs. Preston Park, surely the latter wins hands-down everytime. Especially if there's not much in it in terms of the rents/house prices etc.

I like Brighton, but to be a little bit further out (i.e. PP) should mean a slightly better standard of living in my opinion, with everything you need just a short drive/walk away.

Who was that guy who scored a screamer in the pre-season against Norwich by the way? He looks class

That would be Solly March, and yes, yes he is a good talent.

Oh and Preston Park would be fine unless everything goes tits up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You'll always get a seat from Preston Park on the rush hour SCC trains, mainly because anybody with any sense avoids them as they would a rabid dog. If you're commuting anywhere near Victoria the train formerly known as the Gatwick Express will allow you to travel in absolute LOOXURY! with the added bonus it doesn't stop at East Croydon in the mornings, so no riff raff.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
When I'm commuting I leave Brighton or Preston Park (it depends) before 07:00 and in my experience the trains from Brighton are usually fine when they reach Preston Park, in other words you should always be able to find a seat. (Victoria trains are usually more empty than London Bridge ones.) The exceptions are when there's a rolling stock shortage or when the trains aren't running for whatever reason.

The trains from the West, Littlehampton etc, are usually pretty packed by the time they get to P.P.

Thats because they cut a london bridge train out from brighton to make way for ANOTHER victoria train. Victoria is so well served yet i would venture more people need the city and thus london bridge should be better served in rush hours.
Q

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Thanks again everyone for your comments, much appreciated!

As for living close to Brighton station vs. Preston Park, surely the latter wins hands-down everytime. Especially if there's not much in it in terms of the rents/house prices etc.

I like Brighton, but to be a little bit further out (i.e. PP) should mean a slightly better standard of living in my opinion, with everything you need just a short drive/walk away.

Who was that guy who scored a screamer in the pre-season against Norwich by the way? He looks class

Don't forget some trains don't stop at Preston park too.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Hi there, new to the site and thinking of relocating back down to the south coast. Currently considering renting a place close to Preston Park station for commuting into London weekdays. I'm a little concerned the trains would be packed once they leave Brighton though and I'd spend the entire journey standing (whilst forking out more for the privilege! - I see fares are up again today, 4%+ and moving further away from London, but for work-life balance reasons, I'm sure the cost of a season ticket is likely to knock me off my feet, currently I pay 300 quid a month without the tube which I'd need if getting into Victoria/Lond Bridge/Blackfrairs etc)

I used to live in Brighton as a student and still have fond memories, of the city and the seagulls (recently visited the new Amex stadium, and was SERIOUSLY impressed - so glad you guys pulled it off after all that waiting and planning permission rubbish, a club like Brighton definitely deserve it!)

Preston Park seems like a really nice area too, not far from the old Withdean (again another place I have fond memories of from all the Bobby Zamora goals I used to see for free whilst working as a steward, Micky Adams was manager back then I think, fun times!)

Does anyone else on here commute from Preston Park to London daily? Any recommendations, like "take the early trains before XX am" etc or "don't bother, you'll be standing all the way every day" etc?

Thanks
and best of luck on your promotion push this year, BHA would be a great addition to the premiership for sure!

Stay put, we don't need anymore DFLs.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Thats because they cut a london bridge train out from brighton to make way for ANOTHER victoria train. Victoria is so well served yet i would venture more people need the city and thus london bridge should be better served in rush hours.
Q

I think they'd like to put more trains on to LB, but there just isn't the capacity at London Bridge to get the trains in and out. Once all the building work is done there will loads more trains into LB.

"DFLs" is that code for something?
It stands for Rising House Prices. It's caused by folk who are attracted to Brighton because it's a cheap place to live, once they've cashed in on their over-valued place in Islington. They can easily afford the season ticket costs of getting to work.

BrightonNewBoy

Aug 13, 2013
I'm not cashing in on any London house prices, just considering relocating from a different area outside London. If anything, I'll probably be screwed over just as much by these types you mention who own the places and rent them out to folk like me.

But Preston Park area seems like a gem compared to where I'm renting at the mo in Essex - Towie central (bit boring after a few years tbh) - much more life and culture down your neck of the woods, and less fake tan!! :)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Q

Currently restrictions on platform space at London Bridge Station due to the rebuilding works, so to free up some space, it got sent to Victoria instead.

Will get even better when FCC avoid London Bridge altogether soon as well also due to the works, will call at Elephant & Castle where a change to the tube is needed.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Personally I'd choose hove over pp area and lived in both areas during my time on Brighton. Lots and lots of nice restaurants and pretty close to the sea. not much difference in amount of trains

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I wouldn't say 'a lot'. And you get the choice of the trains that take a right to Hove (and on to Littlehampton) which Brighton doesn't get.

I've very often got trains from Brighton to Hove and through to Littlehampton. platform 1&2 usually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here