Commuters beware... London Bridge

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
OK I've now seen from elsewhere that this is hole in a brick arch near Bricklayers Arms rather than in the ground so my theory from my last post isn't how this one happened. Seems that questions have to be asked about bridge inspection and maintenance regime. I would suspect that this is the bridge over Bolina Road next to the New Den, as the line does split into two different viaducts in this area each carrying three lines.

You're not as funny as your user name suggests are you?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You can pick an alternative route here if you arent stubborn, its called going to Victoria or Elephant and Castle or Blackfriars. It isnt the ONLY way home and you arent being forced via London Bridge.
I'm not specifically referring to this incident but to the railways in general. Last Friday I was late for a dinner date as there was a **** up near Preston Park and we were diverted via Lewes. On Monday the Southampton train started from Three Bridges and the 18:36 Brighton train was rammed.

So it's not a ****ing question of being ****ing stubborn, it's the fact the railways are too fragile and the smallest problem snarls the whole system up for hours. This doesn't happen on the roads - a traffic light failure outside Brighton doesn't stop the traffic in central London, whereas a signal failure in the Hassocks area ....

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I'm not specifically referring to this incident but to the railways in general. Last Friday I was late for a dinner date as there was a **** up near Preston Park and we were diverted via Lewes. On Monday the Southampton train started from Three Bridges and the 18:36 Brighton train was rammed.

So it's not a ****ing question of being ****ing stubborn, it's the fact the railways are too fragile and the smallest problem snarls the whole system up for hours. This doesn't happen on the roads - a traffic light failure outside Brighton doesn't stop the traffic in central London, whereas a signal failure in the Hassocks area ....

I cant imagine running the most congested heavy-rail railway on the continent is easy, especially with tight turnarounds at each end of the route, the slightest delay will always have knock-ons - simple as that. There is also differences between a train and a car, 1 costs a couple of grand whereas 1 costs millions for each carriage and holds a thousand people.

Most congested part of the country, you will ALWAYS get delays when something small happens, simple as that. Unless you demolish lots of Sussex, Surrey and London to build more lines, then nothing will change.......unless the government decide that HS2 is a waste of money and they decide to upgrade current lines, which is what the Mainline needs badly. East Coast line to Eastbourne is close to finishing its upgrade too.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
To/from South-east London a couple of times a week - yeah. Got to be flexible these days.

South East London?

You don't come across as someone who knows what it is like to commute into central London. I've done it for 16 years and it's not as simple as just picking another station and going from there. It would be great if it was.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
South East London?

You don't come across as someone who knows what it is like to commute into central London. I've done it for 16 years and it's not as simple as just picking another station and going from there. It would be great if it was.

Ordinarily no but in this instance, I think it's quite doable. The Blackfriars option takes you about 10/15 minutes out of London Bridge and the journey is an extra 15/20 minutes more than the Brighton to London Bridge. And if you get on at Brighton at one end and Farringdon at the other you're pretty much guaranteed a seat (unless they pull the stunt like on Monday and cut the number of carriages).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I cant imagine running the most congested heavy-rail railway on the continent is easy, especially with tight turnarounds at each end of the route, the slightest delay will always have knock-ons - simple as that. There is also differences between a train and a car, 1 costs a couple of grand whereas 1 costs millions for each carriage and holds a thousand people.

Most congested part of the country, you will ALWAYS get delays when something small happens, simple as that. Unless you demolish lots of Sussex, Surrey and London to build more lines, then nothing will change.......unless the government decide that HS2 is a waste of money and they decide to upgrade current lines, which is what the Mainline needs badly. East Coast line to Eastbourne is close to finishing its upgrade too.
I'm well aware of the problems. My frustrations always get sharpened though when I think of all the WANKERS who say we should abandon our cars and use public transport instead. We need more roads to take the pressure off the railways, anyone who says otherwise is a moron with their head stuck in the sand.

.... and relax.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
South East London?

I go from Eastbourne to/from Erith which is an arse !! Changes at Croydon and London Bridge, more of a detour if London Bridge is messed up too using local buses. I used to commute daily into Victoria though, cant remember a week where there wasnt a delay repay claim submitted. Regularly got stuck on trains with the power off after people decided to abandon ship/train and go onto the tracks.

You get home later (probably) if you detour, but you do get home, same as if you wanted to use the A27 which is shut, you use the A259 or another road.

I'm well aware of the problems. My frustrations always get sharpened though when I think of all the WANKERS who say we should abandon our cars and use public transport instead. We need more roads to take the pressure off the railways, anyone who says otherwise is a moron with their head stuck in the sand.

.... and relax.

.... and relax.

I do agree with you here, either way theres going to be hell and expense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports