Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Communication protocols" reiterated to prevent another Diaz-offside-gate

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The whole thing beggars belief.

How about letting the public listen to your conversation live. You can be sure that you would then cross every T and dot every i.

The officials in this game come across as arrogant and determined not to learn from other sports. I’d have thought TV would love it if they could broadcast what refs said, and I thought TV money ruled. Maybe not?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
works in Rugby as Rugby is much more stop start and slower.

I personally think that is a bad road to go down
But when a goal is scored everything stops. So a check then is fine.

Re central clock. It would be fine. Whenever a player is injured. Stop the clock. Subs. Stop the clock. Var. Stop the clock. That’s it. Not every time ball goes out of play.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Sounds like what many on here were saying should be done, in line with cricket and rugby union etc.

We want the on-field referee to communicate to the VAR what the on-field decision is very clearly and VAR to go back to referee and acknowledge they have heard that properly.​
The VAR goes through the process of checking the situation and giving clear direction to the replay operator to get the right angles, speaking to the assistant VAR as they are going through that as well so that the assistant VAR can be another check and balance.​
Before communicating to the field, speaking to the AVAR what their intended direction of travel is going to be, and not just saying 'check complete' - because what are you check completing? Say 'check complete, goal confirmed'. In this case, 'check complete, offside confirmed'.​

Absolutely unbelievable
A multi billion pound business officiated by a bunch of muppets
Just get rid of VAR.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm struggling to see what difference Webb has made, it's like they've replaced Frank Spencer and employed Mr Magoo.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The whole thing beggars belief.

How about letting the public listen to your conversation live. You can be sure that you would then cross every T and dot every i.

The officials in this game come across as arrogant and determined not to learn from other sports. I’d have thought TV would love it if they could broadcast what refs said, and I thought TV money ruled. Maybe not?
Nigel Owens (top, top rugby ref) was interviewed on the radio last week about VAR. He said rugby had similar issues when TMO was launched so they very quickly worked out that a process that had clear protocols to avoid cock up and confusion had to be put in place - even down to set/standard phrases and language for each situation. Cricket is the same - ‘player review for LBW, the original decision is out’ etc…….I guess the PGMOL/EPL were too arrogant to go to the RFU/ECB before they launched and ask for advice…….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here