Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Communication protocols" reiterated to prevent another Diaz-offside-gate

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sounds like what many on here were saying should be done, in line with cricket and rugby union etc.

We want the on-field referee to communicate to the VAR what the on-field decision is very clearly and VAR to go back to referee and acknowledge they have heard that properly.​
The VAR goes through the process of checking the situation and giving clear direction to the replay operator to get the right angles, speaking to the assistant VAR as they are going through that as well so that the assistant VAR can be another check and balance.​
Before communicating to the field, speaking to the AVAR what their intended direction of travel is going to be, and not just saying 'check complete' - because what are you check completing? Say 'check complete, goal confirmed'. In this case, 'check complete, offside confirmed'.​

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One brief listen to any of the VAR shows this was badly needed. Shouldn't have taken something like the Diaz offside to make clear.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
One brief listen to any of the VAR shows this was badly needed. Shouldn't have taken something like the Diaz offside to make clear.
My thoughts as well.

How did they not think of this? Other sports had been doing equivalent of VAR for ages with clear communication protocols.

That we're just in a situation where people are chatting to their mates beggars belief. Arrogance and stupidity in equal measure. That it took so long to blow up on them was the biggest surprise

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I personally would like to see football referees more closely aligned to what is happening at the rugby World Cup where they are miked up and you can also clearly hear the conversation with their var equivalent

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It does raise the question as to why this type of error wasn't picked up during the testing process'

Even with this improved process it would have not correctly given our goal by Pervis at Palace due to the incompetence of drawing the lines in the wrong place.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
What I don’t understand is what Webb has actually been doing. Anyone who has heard any of the var exchanges can tell it is a nonsense of people shouting over each other.

Just get the audio in the stadium and do it properly.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
what i find almost unbelievable, is that there was no protocol from the start that had the var and refs having to confirm what was being checked and what the outcome was. It seems a complete no brainer. "hold on ref- we're checking if its offside, checking if its handball

From the very begining the way VAR has been operated has been a complete joke. The problem isnt in VAR technology, its in how its applied by the operators

The clear and obvious is too subjective for a start, and only seems to apply in some instances and some clubs, this "well if it had been given on field VAR wouldnt have changed it" or " you can see why the ref gave or didnt give that" so var wont change as its not clear and obvious. , despite it being wrong . If its wrong its wrong regardless of being blatent , or not obvious from the refs viewpoint

no one seems to know or understand the handball rule anymore, if its handball for an attacker-its handball for a defender would seem logical- its just crazy to have the same situation (eg ball ricochet from foot to outstretched hand) being ok for the defense, but handball for a striker.

The more the laws are tinkered with and interpretted differently the more confusion arises, and the more wrong and daft decisions are made

The fact that no one in the Diaz case thought to check with the ref what was being checked is simply laughable

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Make all prem stadia have big screens. Replay on the screen with audio. Same as rugby. Then people can hear the chat between them in real time. They might not like the decision but if it is explained then tough.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I personally would like to see football referees more closely aligned to what is happening at the rugby World Cup where they are miked up and you can also clearly hear the conversation with their var equivalent
I'd like to go even further and make the on field referee make every decision, after all they are in charge of the match. If I was a referee I'd be a bit narked that some one else was making an important decision in MY match. That what happens in rugby and rightly so.

And they don't need a pitch side monitor. Just put it on the big screens like they do in rugby. I've been to plenty of rugby matches and the reaction of the crowd tells you what the decision will be, good or bad. Those attending matches are really treated with utter contempt, the arm chair fans aren't much better off.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It does raise the question as to why this type of error wasn't picked up during the testing process'

Even with this improved process it would have not correctly given our goal by Pervis at Palace due to the incompetence of drawing the lines in the wrong place.

In the world cup, the offside but was semi automated. I have a degree of sympathy for the officials as the current etch a sketch solution for the PL is bollocks. There will always be mistakes using that system .

Putting the partisan element to one side, I can also see why the handball law is different for defence and attack. That Mitoma shot was bloody awful and only hit Van Djke because it was miles off target. If everything was handball we'd be watching team after team smashing it at hands in the penalty area.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
To a certain extent and certainly in this case, all the var had to say is either, check complete goal or check complete no goal. 99 times out of 100 it doesn't matter what the onfield ref gave. That 1 percent is if earlier in play there was a foul, handball etc as the var may not go back that far but if they always do go back to the start of the play, then 1 of 2 sentences will suffice. Maybe not making it so difficult will help!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
what i find almost unbelievable, is that there was no protocol from the start that had the var and refs having to confirm what was being checked and what the outcome was. It seems a complete no brainer. "hold on ref- we're checking if its offside, checking if its handball

From the very begining the way VAR has been operated has been a complete joke. The problem isnt in VAR technology, its in how its applied by the operators

Totally agree with what you're saying but just wanted to point out that really VAR technology is just a screen and the ability to rewind, slow-mo, and pause video. That and draw some lines on the pitch. Really the whole problem is the people using it. It's just enabling refs to make more mistakes not less.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Make all prem stadia have big screens. Replay on the screen with audio. Same as rugby. Then people can hear the chat between them in real time. They might not like the decision but if it is explained then tough.
sounds like lengthening a process that is already interfering negatively to football

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
sounds like lengthening a process that is already interfering negatively to football
It will feel much shorter if you see and hear what is going on. It feels far longer than it is because of no information. It will simply become part of the day out.

Oh and it should be a central clock too.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It will feel much shorter if you see and hear what is going on. It feels far longer than it is because of no information. It will simply become part of the day out.

Oh and it should be a central clock too.
works in Rugby as Rugby is much more stop start and slower.

I personally think that is a bad road to go down

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite. The game should be the same, whether at Old Trafford, Anfield, the Amex or on a local park. Grass roots football (and lower league for that matter, is expensive enough these days, without adding more expensive gadgets (with enough idiots to work them) to be paid for.

Less technology, please - not more!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It certainly needed some professionalism put in to the process. At one point on that recording I think it was the VAR ref that called the on field ref ‘mate.’ It sounded like a lads club immaturely trying to imitate their heroes, the players. I would still get rid regardless of this slight polish. The Spurs manager summed it up well. Everything we love about football is underpinned by the flow of the game. I enjoy cricket but football is not the same.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The clear and obvious is too subjective for a start, and only seems to apply in some instances and some clubs, this "well if it had been given on field VAR wouldnt have changed it" or " you can see why the ref gave or didnt give that" so var wont change as its not clear and obvious. , despite it being wrong . If its wrong its wrong regardless of being blatent , or not obvious from the refs viewpoint

no one seems to know or understand the handball rule anymore, if its handball for an attacker-its handball for a defender would seem logical- its just crazy to have the same situation (eg ball ricochet from foot to outstretched hand) being ok for the defense, but handball for a striker.

The more the laws are tinkered with and interpretted differently the more confusion arises, and the more wrong and daft decisions are made

The fact that no one in the Diaz case thought to check with the ref what was being checked is simply laughable
There is no technology in VAR. Decisions are still taken by human beings.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Maybe the offside check protocol should include:
Referee: Have you drawn the line in the right place?
VAR: Yeah, no worries, Daz. Job's a good'un, bro
Referee: Assistant VAR, do you concur the line is in the right place?
AVAR: Daz, Daz, relax blud. It's all cool, fam.
Referee: Great process, lads. Who's getting the first round in after the match?
All: The drinks are on Webby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here