Comments in todays papers about the transfer budget

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This is true. The first leg was fairly even, but our dependence on our defence last year was vividly exposed in the second leg, with Bruno and Upson not starting, and Greer limping off early on. I agree that Derby are the best team in the league at present.

I think we can also add that starting with Buckley and Orlandi running on 50% didn't help the cause in the second leg.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
what was Burnleys budget last year,anyone got ideas?

I'm happy to be proved wrong but not a massive catchment area

Burnley also had their fourth and final parachute payment last season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We have two great lumps of dead wood: Barber and Burke, neither of whom are making a positive contribution to the club. Bin them and use the savings to pay wages that will attract the calibre of player that we need to the club.

Just a thought!

How do you know that neither make a positive contribution to the club?

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
So one of the smallest budgets?ONLY ONE MAN TO BLAME PAUL BARBER.This man BARBER is running the finance side of the club he his getting it WRONG .Look at the clubs he has worked at before and you will see a pattern.l WILL KEEP SAYING THIS GET BARBER OUT OF OUR CLUB THEN WE WILL MOVE FORWARD.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
More than Forest?

I knew they had been spending a bit but they've a few home grown and Elphick and Cook would hardly have broken the bank. They blew a bit on the South African fella and I assume Kermogant cost a bit but their squad doesn't 'look' any more expensive than ours.

I don't know though ... I assume their losses are higher as they can't generate the same revenue but as for out and out spending, I wasn't aware of that
They also spent £3-4m on Callum Wilson.

However we spent around the same on three players, which I would think is a more than a lot of Championship clubs did.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was not saying anything against Derby. They were superb. Fluid attacking football, tactically aware, strong blokes. If we played like Derby this would be a happier place.

It's typical of the Championship that they were beaten by QPR, a team that we took 4 points off of.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Was at both games; first leg we were a bit unlucky - second leg the wheels well and truly came off. But, we took points from Leicester & Burnely and without so many draws who knows? Derby were and still are the best team in the league.

We'll agree to differ then on the definition of missing out on promotion "by a whisker", as I saw Derby rip us a new a-hole at their place, and we looked a mile off their class. And the fact they are "still" the best team in this League emphasises the point that the team that destroyed us over two legs weren't able to get promoted.

I can certainly agree that they were and are a VERY good team. And contrary to what a lot of people on here believe is the route to an unfair advantage in The Championship, they are not on parachute payments. Shows what can be done.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can certainly agree that they were and are a VERY good team.

On their day (and their day always seems to be against us) I agree with you totally. But they still failed to beat a ten man opposition at Wembley though. As soon as we saw what was left of our defence at Pride Park we all knew the game was up, although even with a full strength XI I think they would have won.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
On their day (and their day always seems to be against us) I agree with you totally. But they still failed to beat a ten man opposition at Wembley though. As soon as we saw what was left of our defence at Pride Park we all knew the game was up, although even with a full strength XI I think they would have won.

That Play-off Final was an absolute shocker. I had no idea they were capable of playing so poorly, and yet they still should have won. Maybe, as you say, they always save their best for playing us. LOL.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Got completely outplayed v Norwich last weekend too. I've hardly seen them play, only the games against us, and wolves 5-0, Norwich 2-2, and final defeat to qpr.

Not overly impressive but then again no one really is, or has been in the last few years in the championship.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Got completely outplayed v Norwich last weekend too. I've hardly seen them play, only the games against us, and wolves 5-0, Norwich 2-2, and final defeat to qpr.

Not overly impressive but then again no one really is, or has been in the last few years in the championship.

The Championship has more ups and downs than Katie Price on a wedding night.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I was thinking exactly this. Orlandi and Buckley were spectacularly bad that day.

My thoughts are that had we not failed in the January transfer window, and signed Grabban and Conway, we may have clinched our top six spot before the last game of the season. Both Upson and Greer were playing with injuries and they could have had a game or two rested between them had we had the points. For the playoffs we would have had a strong defense and could attack with pace with the fit and uninjured Grabban and Conway.

All conjecture now of course, but had we got past Derby I would have fancied us against QPR. If we didn't go up we could have sold Grabban for £3m and made a £2m profit if we needed to fit in with FFP. Doing the right business in January would have been a win win situation because both scenarios would have been profitable, and we would have kept the manager.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You've quoted two different things there - 'transfer budget' and 'budget' which is, presumably, 'playing budget' ie transfer fees, agent fees, signing on fees and wages (incl. bonuses etc) with the latter being by far and away the most significant.

I would imagine most educated guesses would have us around mid-table in this division on playing budget (not transfer budget), sitting behind the clubs at various stages of parachute payment receipt and the basket case clubs who went hell-for-leather and ignored FFP.

Beyond that - are you really demanding that every player bought delivers a positive contribution to the squad? No club in the world is able to guarantee that with every player acquired.

Swiss Ramble says we are about seventh in 2012-13 for wages. Behind clubs with parachute payments but spending more than the rest including Leeds and Forest if my memory serves me right. Forest may have upped theres an failed FFP. But a heck of of clubs are getting parachute payments nowadays so we will not make the top six.

NB: A factoid is a questionable or spurious (unverified, false, or fabricated) statement presented as a fact, but without supporting evidence, although the term can have other meanings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factoid

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Since that FFP vote a few months back where they changed the rules.

Bent has turned up (If 70k a week, we must be paying at least 10k) An England striker not that long ago
Bennett (club legend and I don't use that term lightly even if he has been a ddisappointment thus far) and Al Habsi , a PL keeper on PL wages.

We might be shit at the moment but we seem to have started throwing money about again. I'm more confident about the forthcoming transfer window than I have been about the past 2.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Amongst all the comments about Hyypia in the papers this morning, 2 things stand out one is that BERK could be the next one out and the second is that we are known to have one of the smallest budgets in the Championship.

I can understand the teams with the parachute money but surely we should be having more money than the likes of Rotherham, Brentford and even Bournemouth in our budget even allowing for the shite that is FFP.

If things are so desperately tight with cash it makes the money wasted on the likes of Toko, Agusteien and loan players we can't play even worse.

Having sung Mr. Bloom's praises loudly over the last few years, I am beginning to have some doubts.

As a property developer, he now has some very nice property, Stadium, training complex, forthcoming hotel.

Makes me wonder what his intentions are.

Certainly isn't throwing too much cash at the squad, especially with all the loans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports