Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commentator cock ups

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know there have been many like the famous Ted Lowe if your watching in black and white the pink is next to the blue.

Yesterday on Radio Sussex the match Havant & Waterlloville vs Eastbourne the chap doing the commentary said Havant are in their blue and white horizontal stripes like QPR and Eastbourne are in all Red except their shorts which are black. I am sure that is what he said, why not Red shirts and socks and black shorts.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Last week during the Barnsley match, the commentator claimed that the ball came off the back of Dunks shin? How does that work?

None better than the cricket commentator - possibly Brian Johnston but I stand to be corrected in an England v West Indies test match - " The bowlers Holding the batsmans Willey". My favourite of all time!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just listening to R5...they are talking about Mannie Pacheaou (sic), mentioned that his father was in prison on a long sentence for an assault that went wrong...according to the commentator it went wrong because he was caught and imprisoned. :facepalm:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not a cock up, clearly a pre-meditated pun, but I did chuckle earlier at the ITV FA Cup highlights, when the commentator noted that "Corby pressed their opponents but couldn't break through"
:lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
None better than the cricket commentator - possibly Brian Johnston but I stand to be corrected in an England v West Indies test match - " The bowlers Holding the batsmans Willey". My favourite of all time!

I have a hunch that wasn't Johnstone- he was more famous for his fit of giggles after Jonathan Agnew remarked that Botham couldn't quite get his leg over [the stumps].

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Not a gaff, but a bit of fun, when he said 'Aaron Lennon goes all the wa-aaa-y. His voice went high pitched for a second.

Another motty when England beat Germany 5-1, motty said Kuntz, and there was an uproar because people were adamant he said...you know.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
One from John Parrott commentating on the snooker last season.

"Matthew Stevens got a terrible kick in the balls there".

They had to turn the microphones off for a while as Dennis Taylor had tears running down his face after JP had said it apparently. :lolol:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Boat Race, several years ago, after the race........

"Ah, isn't that sweet, the wife of the cambridge president is kissing the cox of the oxford crew....."

True story.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Claridge: "They've been forced into several unforced errors."

I know he's a 'pundit' in the loosest sense of the word, but I thought it should be mentioned! Any more Claridgisms?

Last edited:

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Not a gaff, but a bit of fun, when he said 'Aaron Lennon goes all the wa-aaa-y. His voice went high pitched for a second.

Another motty when England beat Germany 5-1, motty said Kuntz, and there was an uproar because people were adamant he said...you know.

I thought that was from Euro 96? Baddiel & Skinner showed it on Fantasy Football a day or two later.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
The classic line from Motty 'For those of you watching in black & white, Spurs are playing in yellow' :facepalm:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have a hunch that wasn't Johnstone- he was more famous for his fit of giggles after Jonathan Agnew remarked that Botham couldn't quite get his leg over [the stumps].

I have a hunch that its supposed to be Johnston but that it actually probably never happened (nice though it would be if it had).

I thought that was from Euro 96? Baddiel & Skinner showed it on Fantasy Football a day or two later.
Would have been what I thought as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here