Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come On Tim

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
KING CARLOS OF SPAIN, JULIO ENGLESIAS, EL CID, DIRTY SHIT REYAS, MORIENTES, RAPHAEL BENITES....YOUR BOY TOOK A HELL OF A BEATING

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well he didn't really did he by the sound of it.

course he did......he just played with him, like a cat plays with a mouse, or a Hunny badger plays with a Rhino

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can we keep this in perspective the No 1 Brit at Wimbledon has won a day one match. Is it really that earth shattering? :lolol:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Can we keep this in perspective the No 1 Brit at Wimbledon has won a day one match. Is it really that earth shattering? :lolol:

Well yes, a player who has only won 2 games all year beats a former world number one over 5 sets with the last finishing 13-11. Showed he had some bottle at last.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well yes, a player who has only won 2 games all year beats a former world number one over 5 sets with the last finishing 13-11. Showed he had some bottle at last.

At last? my my you are a media bitch, I bet you Think England are World class as well.

Henman is one of the most respected players in the locker room.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have no doubt he has the bottle, he just doesn't have that mental strength that champions need. Timbo is good value for money every year and I think he HAS been good enough abilitywise to win Wimbledon. Moya was a no 1 but I believe he has always been a bit of an also ran on grass so expecting Henman to beat him is not unrealistic, as some seem to think, is it? Be interesting to see how far Timbo goes because he can concentrate on just this tournament as his swansong.

and Kinky I don't even bother to watch England anymore, I'll always watch Henman even if he will eventually bow out in a frustating probably double fault way. Henman is World Class just not good enough to stand at the top of the pile or win a major tournament. England are also overpaid also rans who don't seem to have a brain cell between them

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I have no doubt he has the bottle, he just doesn't have that mental strength that champions need. Timbo is good value for money every year and I think he HAS been good enough abilitywise to win Wimbledon. Moya was a no 1 but I believe he has always been a bit of an also ran on grass so expecting Henman to beat him is not unrealistic, as some seem to think, is it? Be interesting to see how far Timbo goes because he can concentrate on just this tournament as his swansong.

and Kinky I don't even bother to watch England anymore, I'll always watch Henman even if he will eventually bow out in a frustating probably double fault way. Henman is World Class just not good enough to stand at the top of the pile or win a major tournament. England are also overpaid also rans who don't seem to have a brain cell between them

I sort of agree with you, I think where he suffered is his serve.

The year Goran beat him showed it up, after a rain break it doesnt take someone who has a serve like goran long to get his serve into full swung where as it does Tim.
If thats mental ability or training I dont know.

As for England I tend not to bother with them anymore.

It's too early to even talk about "bottle" and "nerve" with Hen. There's no doubt he is experienced enough to handle tense moments - and he is playing with 99.5% of the crowds totally on his side and not his opponents'.

Some of you are over-thinking this, or guessing about a sport you know little about. Hen's made it past the first round, just, and it is his ABILITY that is questionable, along with his fitness against younger and stronger players. Moya obviously just decided to 'hang in there' and not go away easily - thinking that Hen would have trouble winning a break, and that it would get to him eventually.
Moya's game didn't test Hen to the limits, and ultimately, it transpired, allowed him to do that to Moya instead.

The tournament is alive with strong, fast, and talented players - competitiors who can hit the lines on passing shots, send the ball back early and with power, and be where Hen whiffs those safe balls to.

Yes, I think it's 'nice' that England had a reasonable player, a polite and smart-looking, well-behaved, comported nicely with a worldwide sport.

HOWEVER - I like tennis.
I want tennis to have the best games in it as a spectacle, classic tenacious battles of wits and sinews, strategy and raw talent, instinct and control.

If Hen and his way to play continued through the tournament and got the focus of media on his matches, I personally would feel gypped, robbed, sold short.
For the newbies and people who suddenly see the 'fashionable' interest in tennis, who follow the trawlers waiting for sardines, Hen is just lovely, ra ra flippin ra, go get 'em tiger tim. :yahoo::dance: :cheery:

And that's just very very 'nice' :rolleyes:

Inidentally, let's just remember that Hen on centre court in the first freakin' round, is NOT galvanising the tennis WORLD to the spectacle that is Wimbledon. Much outside of Britain won't be all that bothered to watch the last Brit standing (aside from the new hopeful up-and-comers, who are getting swatted like flies out of the tournament), they might take an interest in how their countrymen are doing and tune in on the later rounds, when things get serious.

This Hen-mania is for the 'happy clappers' (I think that's what they're called) of Britain's (or perhaps just England's) tennis/sports fans.

Come on TIM! :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Inidentally, let's just remember that Hen on centre court in the first freakin' round, is NOT galvanising the tennis WORLD to the spectacle that is Wimbledon. Much outside of Britain won't be all that bothered to watch the last Brit standing (aside from the new hopeful up-and-comers, who are getting swatted like flies out of the tournament), they might take an interest in how their countrymen are doing and tune in on the later rounds, when things get serious.

This Hen-mania is for the 'happy clappers' (I think that's what they're called) of Britain's (or perhaps just England's) tennis/sports fans.

Come on TIM! :)

The up and coming British talent - snigger.

One got through.

When is Boggie going to do something with his talent?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's too early to even talk about "bottle" and "nerve" with Hen. There's no doubt he is experienced enough to handle tense moments - and he is playing with 99.5% of the crowds totally on his side and not his opponents'.

Some of you are over-thinking this, or guessing about a sport you know little about. Hen's made it past the first round, just, and it is his ABILITY that is questionable, along with his fitness against younger and stronger players. Moya obviously just decided to 'hang in there' and not go away easily - thinking that Hen would have trouble winning a break, and that it would get to him eventually.
Moya's game didn't test Hen to the limits, and ultimately, it transpired, allowed him to do that to Moya instead.

The tournament is alive with strong, fast, and talented players - competitiors who can hit the lines on passing shots, send the ball back early and with power, and be where Hen whiffs those safe balls to.

Yes, I think it's 'nice' that England had a reasonable player, a polite and smart-looking, well-behaved, comported nicely with a worldwide sport.

HOWEVER - I like tennis.
I want tennis to have the best games in it as a spectacle, classic tenacious battles of wits and sinews, strategy and raw talent, instinct and control.

If Hen and his way to play continued through the tournament and got the focus of media on his matches, I personally would feel gypped, robbed, sold short.
For the newbies and people who suddenly see the 'fashionable' interest in tennis, who follow the trawlers waiting for sardines, Hen is just lovely, ra ra flippin ra, go get 'em tiger tim. :yahoo::dance: :cheery:

And that's just very very 'nice' :rolleyes:

How is his ability in question when he has reached 4 quarter-finals and 4 semi-finals in the last 11 years?

Moya didn't just hang in there. He is the former World Number One and his world ranking was fast improving to the stage of 25. He was even seeded if you hadn't noticed. His serve is his most potent weapon nowadays and Henman managed to hold tight and grind out a very plucky victory.

Reasonable? You are selling him short.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be honest I dont give a rats arse about all this..." Oh he's a bottler.."..." Oh he's too old/too young/ too ugly/ too psh/ too pretty" bollocks. Or some of the pretentious ramblings.

As far as I am concerned, I am not a great tennis fan, however whenever he is on court, its never dull, highly entertaining and more importantly ( to me anyway) not predictable.

I started watching his game at about 6 ish on Monday and watched every point until they called it off...it was enthralling stuff, entertaining stuff, butt clenching - hide behind the sofa stuff, annoying stuff, frustrating stuff....basically everything sport should be.

Yes ok, the chances are he wont get very far as we all know, however, at least some of us will enjoy his time and savour his victory over the former world number 1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here