Collina quits

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Collina retires from refereeing

Italy FA lets Collina carry on
Italian referee Pierluigi Collina has retired after resigning from the Italian Association of Referees (AIA).
The 45-year-old had been accused by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) of a conflict of interest after accepting a sponsorship deal.

Opel, who also sponsor AC Milan, were to pay Collina £545,000 per year and the FIGC told Collina he would only be able to referee second division games.

"After 28 years I've decided to hand in my resignation," said Collina.

"People must believe in a referee. In the end, we have all lost out."

"I have slept less these last few nights than on the eve of the World Cup final.

"For me it wouldn't have been a problem to referee in Serie B, but either they (the FIGC) have faith in us referees or they don't.

"If they don't, then we have to go. Without trust we cannot move forward."

Collina, who has been voted the world's best referee five times, took charge of the 2002 World Cup final between Brazil and Germany.

He was due to retire in the summer but the Italian football association extended the maximum age for referees to 46 to accommodate him for a further year.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Half a million quid a year for a ref! That's quite surprising.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Yeah I saw that. Seems a real shame. I remember last year, before the Italians changed the rules there was talk of Collina coming over to ref in the Premiership where we have a higher upper age limit on referees

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Collina was good, but still made mistakes, however he always made mistakes in England's favour, which was ever better.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I think he was taking things a bit far though.

collina.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Juan Albion said:
I think he was taking things a bit far though.

collina.jpg

he looks shockingly like gollum from lord of the rings in that photo

Robbo said:
He used to be the best referee in the world, but after his perfomance in the everton game in spain last week, i think he's lost it.

Not to mention the Chelski/Barca game last season when the goal-keeper got sat on for the winner :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports