Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colleague has B.O. - what can be said

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I find the smell of most deodorants, perfumes and aftershaves more offensive than all but the very worst cases of body odour. Sure if he's not showering often enough that may be a problem, but compulsory use of deodorant? That's some weird neo-fascist body hating complex you've got going on there.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I find the smell of most deodorants, perfumes and aftershaves more offensive than all but the very worst cases of body odour. Sure if he's not showering often enough that may be a problem, but compulsory use of deodorant? That's some weird neo-fascist body hating complex you've got going on there.

I agree with this 100%. No-one should need deodorant or perfume -- the best they can do is mask the smell of stale sweat, but at the expense of creating an often worse smell. Fresh sweat is entirely natural and unproblematic, and regular washing should be sufficient to stop it turning into anything offensive.
Filling the atmosphere with noxious artificial smells from deodorant cans is inconsiderate to your fellows in exactly the same way as not washing is. Every time I go to the gym, there is some idiot (often several) in the changing room, liberally spraying the their bodies and the air around them with some foul chemical that smells like lavatory cleaner - on those occasions when I've pointed out that maybe not everyone wants to inhale that sh*t, they've seemed quite shocked.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I agree with this 100%. No-one should need deodorant or perfume -- the best they can do is mask the smell of stale sweat, but at the expense of creating an often worse smell. Fresh sweat is entirely natural and unproblematic, and regular washing should be sufficient to stop it turning into anything offensive.
Filling the atmosphere with noxious artificial smells from deodorant cans is inconsiderate to your fellows in exactly the same way as not washing is. Every time I go to the gym, there is some idiot (often several) in the changing room, liberally spraying the their bodies and the air around them with some foul chemical that smells like lavatory cleaner - on those occasions when I've pointed out that maybe not everyone wants to inhale that sh*t, they've seemed quite shocked.

They should use Antiperspirant rather than deodorant. I know generally they are combined in a product, and used interchangeably in conversation, but they do perform different tasks. Antiperspirants don't always have an aroma of their own.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Be careful who you speak to about it at work. Me and a colleague used to discuss (in a not very complimentary way) a particularly pungent young lady (who also had a glass eye that was creepy).

It transpired later that he had been shagging her the whole time.

So you had no idea that she was his no eyed dear?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
They should use Antiperspirant rather than deodorant. I know generally they are combined in a product, and used interchangeably in conversation, but they do perform different tasks. Antiperspirants don't always have an aroma of their own.

I have to disagree, even the unscented antiperspirants have a smell when spayed into the air, obviously its hard to get close enough to someone else's roll-on to find it objectionable. Further wearing antiperspirant is quite idiotic, blocking up a nicely functioning lymphatic system.

The problem is that teenagers stink, that surge in hormones messes them up and makes them smell bad - this makes sense teenagers are annoying so having them smell bad reminds us to stay away from them. Instead of telling them to wash their pits a couple of extra times a day society and the media get them to wear deodorants and anti-perspirants messing up the sweat glands and associated systems. Now when they don't put on anti-perspirant the sweat from their clogged glands stinks even worse and soon enough they like most of the western world are deodorant/anti-perspirant addicts with a fear of their natural body - or good consumers as they are also known.

If you stop interfering with your armpits it will take several weeks to discover what your natural odour is and even longer to discover its range and how it can reflect your diet health and state of mind. I've not worn any in 20 years and contrary to popular belief no-one moved away from me and many young ladies were pleased to have sexual relations, except after the odd three-day bender when the smell from my armpits provided an accurate allegory for my general state and would return minutes after washing- but as I needed to spend the day in bed and was barely capable of a leisurely **** this was not an inconvenience.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Not sure about this -- bodies perspire for a reason. It seems (to me) intrinsically unhealthy to apply a product which stops you perspiring, by closing your pores or interfering with your sweat glands, or whatever. However, if people want to use odour-free antiperspirants, fine -- it's the ones that have perfumes and force me to share their chemical smells that I object to.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Sign language is good for this kind of thing.

stink.gif

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
An ex colleague had really bad breath. He stood behind another colleague who was on his computer. The second guy could smell something really bad and looked on the bottom of his shoes because he thought it must be dogs muck.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
BO can also be caused by clothing not being washed properly. The smell can linger on clothing longer than it does on a body.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I nick-named a guy "Hustling Hesketh" about 20 years ago, because he really had issues. He's emigrated to NZ, but the nick-name has followed him, as I discovered through the medium of FB. Like the smell, once branded with the reputation of being a crabby fu**er, it's hard to shake off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I have to disagree, even the unscented antiperspirants have a smell when spayed into the air, obviously its hard to get close enough to someone else's roll-on to find it objectionable. Further wearing antiperspirant is quite idiotic, blocking up a nicely functioning lymphatic system.

The problem is that teenagers stink, that surge in hormones messes them up and makes them smell bad - this makes sense teenagers are annoying so having them smell bad reminds us to stay away from them. Instead of telling them to wash their pits a couple of extra times a day society and the media get them to wear deodorants and anti-perspirants messing up the sweat glands and associated systems. Now when they don't put on anti-perspirant the sweat from their clogged glands stinks even worse and soon enough they like most of the western world are deodorant/anti-perspirant addicts with a fear of their natural body - or good consumers as they are also known.

If you stop interfering with your armpits it will take several weeks to discover what your natural odour is and even longer to discover its range and how it can reflect your diet health and state of mind. I've not worn any in 20 years and contrary to popular belief no-one moved away from me and many young ladies were pleased to have sexual relations, except after the odd three-day bender when the smell from my armpits provided an accurate allegory for my general state and would return minutes after washing- but as I needed to spend the day in bed and was barely capable of a leisurely **** this was not an inconvenience.

I've followed up on these posts, and realised that I had just got into a complete habit of using antiperspirant, often to the point of the bloody stuff appearing to make me sweat more!.

So I've gone cold turkey, I'm on Day 8 and I think my body is in a slight state of confusion as to what is going on to pores that have been previously blocked with various aluminium derivatives, and seemingly getting some natural time.

Any particular websites / tips / to look at? I'm seeing advice for natural home made deodorant concoctions like baking soda / arrowroot powder / coconut oil, but not tried anything yet. I'm no health hippie, but going to give this whole leaving my pits to nature a try.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I've followed up on these posts, and realised that I had just got into a complete habit of using antiperspirant, often to the point of the bloody stuff appearing to make me sweat more!.

So I've gone cold turkey, I'm on Day 8 and I think my body is in a slight state of confusion as to what is going on to pores that have been previously blocked with various aluminium derivatives, and seemingly getting some natural time.

Any particular websites / tips / to look at? I'm seeing advice for natural home made deodorant concoctions like baking soda / arrowroot powder / coconut oil, but not tried anything yet. I'm no health hippie, but going to give this whole leaving my pits to nature a try.

Being generally resistant to annoying californian proto hippy bollocks I have no websites to recommend. That said good on you. I will now pretend to be a hippie advice site.

You will quite possibly smell quite bad at the moment when you sweat as your body adjusts to its new regime. Washing is still your friend, be prepared to add in an occassional "whore's bath" to you washing regime - just giving the pits a quick rinse with a washcloth and then drying.

Keep avoiding the home made concoctions.

It may help to give your pits a workout! Vigorous execise if you're into it, a nice sauna if that's your preferred gym activity. Flushing them through if you will.

Now you have armpits that are allowed to sweat you need to be a little more mindful of them. Instead of being nervous of sweat patches when you first feel a slight moistness underarm and clamping your arms to your sides or keeping your jacket on you will be better served letting air to them asap.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Being generally resistant to annoying californian proto hippy bollocks I have no websites to recommend. That said good on you. I will now pretend to be a hippie advice site.

You will quite possibly smell quite bad at the moment when you sweat as your body adjusts to its new regime. Washing is still your friend, be prepared to add in an occassional "whore's bath" to you washing regime - just giving the pits a quick rinse with a washcloth and then drying.

Keep avoiding the home made concoctions.

It may help to give your pits a workout! Vigorous execise if you're into it, a nice sauna if that's your preferred gym activity. Flushing them through if you will.

Now you have armpits that are allowed to sweat you need to be a little more mindful of them. Instead of being nervous of sweat patches when you first feel a slight moistness underarm and clamping your arms to your sides or keeping your jacket on you will be better served letting air to them asap.

Luckily I work from home, and play a lot of squash where we have a sauna where I often stretch after a game anyway, plus a fair amount of cycling so no worries on the flushing through front. I'm not actually that bad at the moment, I thought it would be worse, and I'm keeping my own nose finely attuned as well as asking the wife and kids to keep a nose out for me.

I'll also have to look for the thread 'anyone smelt that guy sitting in E1B in the Family Stand!?' :lolol:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Luckily I work from home, and play a lot of squash where we have a sauna where I often stretch after a game anyway, plus a fair amount of cycling so no worries on the flushing through front. I'm not actually that bad at the moment, I thought it would be worse, and I'm keeping my own nose finely attuned as well as asking the wife and kids to keep a nose out for me.

I'll also have to look for the thread 'anyone smelt that guy sitting in E1B in the Family Stand!?' :lolol:

Ernest is already compilimng his thoughts ready for after the next home game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here