Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colin Kazim-Richards will appear in court today

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Although I am not too bothered by CKRs actions, I struggle to understand the points of view of those opposed to the court case.

Peoples views on racism have altered dramatically over the years, thanks largely to 'education'...AND to some extent, backed up by severe sentences handed out by the courts.

Do the same people who view CKRs court case as a 'waste', also share the view that gay footballers (active) should remain in their 'closets'...????

I think that's right. Although going to court seems a little heavy handed I am mindful of Hitzelspurger's comment to the effect that he couldn't come out whilst a player because of team mates' homophobic comments/attitudes.
It seems to me not so much "you have to start somewhere" but more a case of when the start you made (repeatedly) doesn't take you anywhere, where do you go next?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's principally because they weren't offended, they don't understand that others might be.

I hope you are not trying to speak on my behalf.

I understand that concept thank-you.

Just see El Pres's response further up. Football fans give out abuse all the time. Should they be in court because attitudes are changing to a person being fat, old, bald etc. We are living in times when children services are being cut, these are services to the most vulnerable people in our society. However we are happy to spend public money on charging a footballer for making gestures to a crowd who has been abusing him. Just give him a warning. A court case ? Madness.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He let us down so he should get 5 years hard labour. It's only fair.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just see El Pres's response further up. Football fans give out abuse all the time. Should they be in court because attitudes are changing to a person being fat, old, bald etc. We are living in times when children services are being cut, these are services to the most vulnerable people in our society. However we are happy to spend public money on charging a footballer for making gestures to a crowd who has been abusing him. Just give him a warning. A court case ? Madness.

I agree with this.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I think that's right. Although going to court seems a little heavy handed I am mindful of Hitzelspurger's comment to the effect that he couldn't come out whilst a player because of team mates' homophobic comments/attitudes.
It seems to me not so much "you have to start somewhere" but more a case of when the start you made (repeatedly) doesn't take you anywhere, where do you go next?

I agree ...a three day court case does seem 'over the top', but what other alternative is there...?

In the past there is the well documented Robbie Fowler case and more recently CKR, the Leeds player ? El Hadji Djiof and I believe yet another who was a substitute warming up for the opposition. This is just against Brighton. Maybe this is the only way some of the more ignorant professional footballers will understand. If a 'stand' is not taken against them.....what chance is there ever of a gay footballer 'coming out' to his peers....???

I wonder, that had it not been the much maligned and pillioried Liz Costa (by El Presidente in particular) who had been quoted in the press, whether some posters views might be a lot different.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
should get 30 hours community service......on hands and knees scrubbing prison shower rooms.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Really ? He should have had the courage of his convictions. It is not the 1970's.

In certain - if not most - aspects of society, you're quite right. But as you know from attending any football match - especially Brighton matches - there is a greater concentration of homophobic attitudes among certain sections of football fans.

To dismiss his considerations by stating '... he should have had the courage of his convictions...' as if nothing adverse would happen is quite bizarre. There is a reason (or maybe several reasons) why gay or bi footballers don't come out, none of which are concerned with the fact it's 2014, nor that most of society has moved on.

I'd suggest the likes of CKR's attitude is possibly one of them.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
To dismiss his considerations by stating '... he should have had the courage of his convictions...' as if nothing adverse would happen is quite bizarre.

What makes you think I do not believe nothing adverse might happen ?

That is why he would need the "courage" in the saying. If there was no potential for things adverse, no courage would be needed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes it is. If you made a wanker sign with police watching don't you think you'd go to court?

Funnily enough, no I don't. Not in the public interest, waste of police time, a warning should be issued.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Much is being made of the cost of a three day trial - if CKR would just man up and admit the offence then it could all be over in half an hour.

It's not the state who are wasting the money by prosecuting but CKR who is denying what was seen by thousands!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So Wayne Bridge and Gus Poyet are appearing in his defence. That's good enough for me. What a waste of everyone's time.

Young guy makes gestures to crowd at a football match. So what. I understand why the FA would act against it but am baffled by why the police are. Will they be taking into consideration all of what was said by the crowd at the time? I am sure that will come out from this. What is happening to those fans, why did they chose to abuse just CKR? Where does it end?

It's a football match, abuse between fans and opposition players has happened forever, so what if they give a bit back, I'm sure the level of abuse is still 99% fans doing the abusing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think Hitzelspurger's point is that within football nothing much has changed since the 70's and tbh, I think he has a fair point

I got that. Well he has been closer to the football inner sanctum than me - but the reaction to a gay player in a professional dressing room has not been tested. It would be interesting.

This suggests that Hitzelspurger may have been too worried - and in fact, unsurprisingly, attitudes within football have changed since the 1970's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here