Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colin Kazim-Richards to face trial over homophobic gesture

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What I don't get is that fans can hurl abuse at footballers for 90 minutes without sanction, but once a footballer has a go back, he ends up prosecuted.
I have to say that this prosecution is just pc gone mad over a bit of uneducated banter. He's not actually directly had a go at an individual, he was just having a go back at the crowd for winding him up.

They do get paid a lot of money and if they all chose to retaliate it would spoil the game. They have keep their heads down and concentrate on football rather than sinking to the level of opposition fans.

The best thing players can do is just have an impact on the game and ignore the pantomime.

The FA have got to draw a line somewhere and players reacting to fans is that line.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is the 21st century and Humanity and Society has moved on. If a player or anyone displays blatant homophobic behaviour as he did they can expect to be in a court of law. He is a moron and probably very thick, that is his best defence but this is where we are now and I think it is very refreshing he has been made to account for his actions as it may put a few braindead morons from displaying their bigotry and hatred in the future. Enough already.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
And his defence will be:
"You is pickin on me coz I is black" ** in Ali G tones **

he is of turkish cypriot background - in the occupied areas of cyprus homosexuality or probably more correctly homosexual acts are still a criminal offence (if you consider their legal system valid)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
he is of turkish cypriot background - in the occupied areas of cyprus homosexuality or probably more correctly homosexual acts are still a criminal offence (if you consider their legal system valid)

So Gus Poyet thinks he innocent?

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
Just a bit of banter ... Bloody stupid poor guy going through court for that . I saw what he did what we did harmless fun football is dying ..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's good to know the news is breaking and up to date. He appeared in court last August when the trial date was set.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Secondly, homosexuality is not in any way a criminal offence in Northern Cyprus, although it's irrelevant anyway because he's never actually lived there.

Articles 171 and 173 of the Northern Cyprus Criminal Code:

“171. Any person who –
(a) has carnal knowledge of any person against the order of nature; or
(b) permits a male person to have carnal knowledge of him against the order of nature shall be guilty of a felony and shall be liable to a term of imprisonment of up to five years.

173. Any person who attempts to commit either of the offences specified in Article 171 shall be guilty of a felony and shall be liable to a term of imprisonment of up to three years, and, where the attempt is accompanied by violence, shall be liable to a term of imprisonment of up to seven years.”

It is indeed illegal and they actively enforce it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And is he mixed-race? Well...he doesn't really feel Anitguan. In his own words:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article3026150.ece

“It’s difficult because half my family is Muslim, and the other half is Christian. I’ve always felt Turkish, though. My nene [grandmother], she can’t speak English. Half of my family, their first language is Turkish, and so I went to Turkish school before I played football, although I can’t remember any of it now”

And very pertinently...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/feb/17/newsstory.fenerbahce

In England people don't see me as Turkish. Like when police stop me, it's not because I'm Turkish, it's because I'm black.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Never knew that homosexuality was illegal in Northern Cyprus, I assumed they adopted Turkish law - it must be one of the last places in Europe that does that, pretty disgusting.

...and CKR had to say that, in the same way he had to rename himself to Kasim Kasim! Turks are proud patriots and he would have been advised to sell himself to the fans by saying how Turkish he feels, especially considering he's black.

Or maybe he considers himself Turkish rather than black. That article was written by a British newspaper for UK audiences well after he had established himself as a hero with the Turkish footie fans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Or maybe he considers himself Turkish rather than black. That article was written by a British newspaper for UK audiences well after he had established himself as a hero with the Turkish footie fans.

He was a hero until he was caught drinking and carousing, and so dropped from their national team. He's also done time in a Turkish jail for driving offences.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He was a hero until he was caught drinking and carousing, and so dropped from their national team. He's also done time in a Turkish jail for driving offences.

Carousing? What a lovely word. :)

No doubt he was gallivanting out on that night prior to waltzing back in*

*(c) every parent moaning about their teenage children.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Carousing? What a lovely word. :)

No doubt he was gallivanting out on that night prior to waltzing back in*

*(c) every parent moaning about their teenage children.

I believe it was more than one night; rather more of a lifestyle.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Who cares - send him to the cells anyway for a custodial sentence in Lewes prison to remind him of his mistrust of Mr Magoo and desertion of the club that made him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The bedwetters who reported him should be charged with wasting police time and public finances. But hey ho....

The bedwetters who reported him should be charged with wasting police time and public finances. But hey ho....

Wasn't it the Lino who reported him?

Either way, he was taking shed loads of abuse so gave a bit back, fair trade in my opinion.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
What a complete and utter waste of public finances.

I actually agree, Husty.

The trial is a waste of money and does nothing to stop homophobes.

I cringe when I read of cases like this for two reasons. Firstly, some of those getting upset are often the people who were hurling abuse in the first place, and secondly tackling homophobia is not about retaliatory gestures, it’s about stopping hate filled people harming others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here