Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colin Kazim-Richards - Racist Incident in Turkey

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Quote from CKR - on The Guardian website today...

"I mean if it was a fresh banana I would have said thanks and wouldn't mind eating it. However, it was a rotten, black banana. I don't even think a monkey would have ate it."

Olympiakos midfielder Colin Kazim Richards makes light of some racist abuse meted out to him by rival PAOK fans.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Quote from CKR - on The Guardian website today...

"I mean if it was a fresh banana I would have said thanks and wouldn't mind eating it. However, it was a rotten, black banana. I don't even think a monkey would have ate it."

Olympiakos midfielder Colin Kazim Richards makes light of some racist abuse meted out to him by rival PAOK fans.

Good on him!

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Last edited:

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
i think its really more down to the fact he is turkish rather than being black/mixed race

i follow greek football quite abit and you never really hear of racist instances within greek football. HOWEVER in my experience (lived in greece) and from greek people i know, they are quite racist, especially in the past couple of years, with the amount of illegal immigration into the country. Supposidly 1 in 10 people in greece are immigrants, illegal or legal.

But they will hurl abuse at any albanian (who doesnt have greek ethinicty) or turk.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
actually quite surprised that a team the size of Olympiakos have brought him in on loan, i only know of a couple of turkish players playing in the greek leagues, and all for fairly crap teams, cant think off the top of my head of a big name turkish player playing in greece before

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
i think its really more down to the fact he is turkish rather than being black/mixed race

i follow greek football quite abit and you never really hear of racist instances within greek football.

I know it's a different country, but we watch a bit of Cyprus football, and there does seem to be quite a bit of racial abuse aimed at black players, even when both teams have black players, the fans still abuse black players of the opposing team.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
i think its becoming much more prevelent in greece (and well south cyprus is pretty much greece anyway)
but i dont know how much of it is just xenophobia rather than out and out racism. Greece really hasnt had anywhere near the levels of immigration outside of Europe as we have in England up until id say in the last 5 or so years. Now greece is the first staging post of immigrants coming from Asia and alot of Africa and personally i dont think Greeks especially outside of Athens are accustomed to seeing anyone non-european in looks.
Im sure with how their economy is going with rising unemployment rates this xenophobia will quickly mutate into real racism.

Dandyman

In London village.
PAOK is a Greek team in Greece

Is the right answer - although the club is the successor to Hermes Sports Club which was formed in 1875 by the Greek community of Pera, a district of Istanbul. The K is the clue :panthessaloníkios Athlitikós Ómilos Konstantinoupolitón, (the Pan-Thessalonian Athletic Club of Constantinopolitans) .

AEK are a similar club- Athlitiki Enosis Konstantinoupoleos, (the Athletic Union of Constantinople) and both reflect the transfer of populations between Greece and Turkey after the (for Greece) disaster of war in the 1920s.

Think I'll go and have a kebab now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here