Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coldplay Wembley

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Saw them at the Centre in 2002 and was impressed. Went to see them again in 05 at Earls Court still a fan at the time, but was bored senseless and haven't bothered with them since. I could still listen happily to the first two albums, but nothing since.

Exactly the same as me. I loved the parachutes album and the 2002 Brighton centre gig, they were not too big then. After that the music got very dull and I lost interest. I am not in the 'it is cool to hate coldplay' gang by any means, I still like a few of their tracks but they do not have anything like the impact they once did.

MongoJerry

Mar 23, 2013
9ba8bb393d4dce73dabfd28ae22d3746.jpg

I went. Really enjoyed it but then again I am a fan so biased. True the lighting was spectacular but added rather than made up for any of the music. The music was a mix of old/new, slow/upbeat as you'd expect. For a 2 hour performance, 3 if you include
support acts and with a few drinks along the way, the uncrossing of your legs to head to the loo generally happens during the less well known songs, no matter who's performing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The gig got panned in some of the press this morning. I saw them at Wembley a few years ago and was unimpressed with the accoustics - it didn't help being at the other end of the stadium with a bloody great speaker hanging down in front of us. They are good to their fans with the freebies etc but, like others have commented, their anthem stuff is great and their older albums have stood the test of time, but it's all getting a bit dull, pretentious and samey.
Bottom line is, I am not a great fan of the big gigs and would much prefer to see bands in smaller venues.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Well, they filled 1 hour 55 minutes, and they have enough upbeat material to have filled that and got people up on their feet. But they didn't use it. It was more a shop window of their recent stuff, which is almost entirely slow, mellow, almost melancholy, nap inducing dirge. AIMHO.
My stepdaughter got tickets for us but we couldnt go cos we are in Corfu.
So glad i got to see Bruce on 5th at Wembley, he only managed 3 hrs 25 mins. Not bad at 66 yrs old.
How old is Chris Martin?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
That's your problem, sitting down for a gig!:nono: Did you politely clap after each song? :)

TBH I think the earlier songs are by far the best stuff they have done, but last night enjoyed the music and the performance they put on.

Therein is the whole point. Everyone was sat down up there, only on about 5 brief occasions did the masses feel sufficiently stirred to get up and get excited. I'm a North Stander and like to ruck with the best of them, but last night sitting down for 2 hours and very occasionally getting onto my feet for a short period felt like what it must be like to be a WSUer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Every time Coldplay gets mentioned our percussionist says it's, "music for bedwetters".

That's an old Alan McGee quote.

MongoJerry

Mar 23, 2013
The gig got panned in some of the press this morning. I saw them at Wembley a few years ago and was unimpressed with the accoustics - it didn't help being at the other end of the stadium with a bloody great speaker hanging down in front of us. They are good to their fans with the freebies etc but, like others have commented, their anthem stuff is great and their older albums have stood the test of time, but it's all getting a bit dull, pretentious and samey.
Bottom line is, I am not a great fan of the big gigs and would much prefer to see bands in smaller venues.

Pretty good reviews from what I've read

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/...dazzling-slice-of-pure-paradise-a3273226.html

http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2016/06/15/coldplay-review-at-wembley-stadium-live-review//

MongoJerry

Mar 23, 2013
with trains unreliable what was it like getting home

The 2332 from Victoria (last one for my station stop) got canceled so train to Gatwick and Station Manager arranged a taxi home from there at Southerns cost.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I saw them at the Etihad a couple of weeks ago, my second time of seeing them and whilst I thought they were great I did think their choice of songs or the order they played them in was not very clever.

They started with some classics, then tailed off into a few lessers known numbers and lost the crowd a bit, and then had little left to really go for. So the best stuff was early on which surely is a schoolboy error.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh and I should add they had ticker tape, and lots of it, which standing at pitch level was bloody brilliant.

I'm not a big music fan, but enjoyed the "show" without really noticing whether musically they were any good or not.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I saw them on the parachutes tour at the Liverpool royal court theatre in 2000. The place wasn't even full and I remember Chris Martin saying that it was the biggest solo gig they had ever played! Certainly come a long way since then!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
They started brightly with a couple of great albums, and then just went for the Radio 2 mainstream pap. Wallpaper music has never been so bland. Good live - yes, but the music now is as dull as Ed Sheeran or James Blunt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here