Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cold War 2

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I don't like the sound of this......property values must surely take a hit if all the commuters have no jobs to go to?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course, hypothetically speaking, if we did end up in a war with Russia, nuclear bombs would almost certainly be used.
That would be the concern, but I wouldn't say it was almost a certainty. Putin wants to get away with whatever he can, and I don't suppose he gives a shit how many Russian soldiers die trying to get it, but that doesn't mean he wants his country, and himself, nuked.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Complete mistrust from everyone. The West doesn't trust Russia and the Baltic countries certainly don't, which is why they rushed for Nato membership. Russia certainly doesn't trust the west and sees itself having NATO on its doorstep.

The biggest mistake that the US and the West made was rub Russias nose in it after the collapse of the USSR. It made it look weak and insignificant. The wise move would have made Russia an equal partner with the west. Make it feel secure, build trust, work with it for a better world. Certainly Islamic terrorism is a concern for both.

Russia instead has used its oil wealth to start to build up its armed forces and to show the west that it is a major player.

Where this ends, is anyones guess, but recent events point towards Putin making similar moves in the Baltics. Does the west intervene? If not, does that encourage moves to Poland? If we do intervene then its going to effect us all.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I kid you not, with issues on the Borders of Russia and yet again Russian Bombers in our areas of interest yesterday Putin is truly testing NATO…

The Russkies also have a warship and an accompanying refuelling tanker sailing up the English Channel on its way back from the Med to its Baltic seaport (Kaliningrad)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
London and Paris are probably the last 2 European cities Putin would nuke, as that would mean Moscow being reduced to dust. I think he'd settle for a city in a country which didn't have the ability to strike back.
Strike back?:lolol:
How the hell do you strike back against a country that could blow the whole planet up in a flash?
Europe has just 5% of the worlds nuclear weapons...The only hope is that the yanks come in,but this would really really really scare them I can assure you.Not even the mighty yanks can compete with Russia in nucleus terms and the yanks are literally pushing us and the rest to deal with it because they're to scared to do it there selves.

We're nothing compared to most countries and europe alone is not enough to even scratch the surface again russia...we're all sitting ducks if putin decides to unleash his power.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Sir Albion What are you talking about? With nuclear weapons its not a numbers game. One UK sub could nuke Russia to dust. And them the whole planet. Thats why nukes are really the end game for all of us...inc Russia.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Sir Albion What are you talking about? With nuclear weapons its not a numbers game. One UK sub could nuke Russia to dust. And them the whole planet. Thats why nukes are really the end game for all of us...inc Russia.
We have about 1% of the nucleus stock pile and you suddenly think a nuclear sub is goner go flatten the worlds biggest country:facepalm:
Numbers matters pal I can assure you as the world shits itself when someone like Iran or North korea does tests...This is a whole diffrent board game and we're way way out of our depth and as per usual we will gang up with the states and the rest to get that oil they have...Won't happen though as we'll bottle it as will the USA.

Im sure the 3.5 million russians living in the states will love an attack on their motherland???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Strike back?:lolol:
How the hell do you strike back against a country that could blow the whole planet up in a flash?
Europe has just 5% of the worlds nuclear weapons...The only hope is that the yanks come in,but this would really really really scare them I can assure you.Not even the mighty yanks can compete with Russia in nucleus terms and the yanks are literally pushing us and the rest to deal with it because they're to scared to do it there selves.

We're nothing compared to most countries and europe alone is not enough to even scratch the surface again russia...we're all sitting ducks if putin decides to unleash his power.

The point is that if Putin nukes London, or Paris, then Moscow will be nuked as well in retaliation. I think he'd rather nuke Berlin or Rome, myself.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Putin saw a complete lack of hunger to act in Syria when Assad started unleashing chemical weapons on his people despite that being a "red line"

Not surprised that he takes no notice of the verbal warnings - why would you when recent history tells you that they are a complete nonsense? All talk and no trousers

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The point is that if Putin nukes London, or Paris, then Moscow will be nuked as well in retaliation. I think he'd rather nuke Berlin or Rome, myself.
Yes agree although that won't be enough again a country the size of russia who will have plants everywhere....But it'll never happen as we'll bottle it.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Putin saw a complete lack of hunger to act in Syria when Assad started unleashing chemical weapons on his people despite that being a "red line"

Not surprised that he takes no notice of the verbal warnings - why would you when recent history tells you that they are a complete nonsense? All talk and no trousers
Really....Well starling would have to say something about that if he was around as the Russians were key and ended hitlers march although the yanks and us played a key part aswell naturally.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
We wouldnt need to flatten the whole of Russia. 1 UK sub with one missile each with 8 separate warheads could flatten Moscow...turn it to dust. The fact that each sub can carry 16 such missiles means there are another 15 cities that could be flattened. It would spell the end if Russia and us too. We may have 1%, but how many do you need when 1% can cause such destruction.Thats why these weapons are so dangerous . Russia and the US could vaporise all of the world. Not sure why you reference oil....Putins aggression and the Wests response has nothing to do with oil.
We have about 1% of the nucleus stock pile and you suddenly think a nuclear sub is goner go flatten the worlds biggest country:facepalm:
Numbers matters pal I can assure you as the world shits itself when someone like Iran or North korea does tests...This is a whole diffrent board game and we're way way out of our depth and as per usual we will gang up with the states and the rest to get that oil they have...Won't happen though as we'll bottle it as will the USA.

Im sure the 3.5 million russians living in the states will love an attack on their motherland???

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Really....Well starling would have to say something about that if he was around as the Russians were key and ended hitlers march although the yanks and us played a key part aswell naturally.

I literally have no idea what you are on about.

What does Stalin (the Russian leader, as opposed to a type of bird) have to do with Putin's calculated decision to invade other countries that has been to a degree based on the shrinking enthusiasm to take a leadership role on the world stage from the USA?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

3.5 million ruskies living in the US! Is Putin going to suggest annexing the USA to protect the rights of the ruskies there, just like they did in Crimea and eastern Ukraine!

Unfortunately the worry has to be that the current conflict and the attitude of Russia goes beyond a cold war. If, as has suggested in some news reports, that Russia uses the same tactics from the Ukraine in any of the Baltic states, then the Eu as a whole must respond as this would be an attack on a EU state and the Eu as a whole.

At that time, appeasement along the lines of piece in our time is probably doomed to fail, and a military intervention would be required. Without this, Russia would possibly look to reclaim the whole of the former Soviet Block on a piece by piece basis, as they would (rightly?) believe that the EU and others are not prepared to use force.

This would place the peace of Europe at its highest threat since probably the Cuban missile crisis.

Worrying times

Think you're confusing Nato for the EU. Whilst the three baltic states are members of both, I believe it is Nato that has the doctrine that an attack on one member is deemed an attack on all members.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here