Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colchester's stadium vs Falmer

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Their new stadium is probably better than their old and I don't think we should be getting all snooby about it. If they filled it and the noise was good then all would be ok.

Also for the record , I like Chesterfields new stadium.

Maybe I'm easily pleased. Thats what the Mrs says anyway

I'd have considered going had it been their old ground. Half empty terraces are far more appealing that half empty seats.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Last nights attendance confirms that Div 1 football will not fill a stadium,Leeds excepted.
Promotion is a must before Falmer is completed,otherwise we will be in a similar situation as Colchester.

Not really buying this, our match against Exeter attracted 7000 fans (6500 home fans) a few days before heavy rain was forecasted, we hadn't won at home for months in arguable the shittest ground in the land.

While I accept a full Falmer may be a rare sight in the third tier there is no bloody chance we will be anything like that shower of shite Colchester, infact I find the notion offensive to the club.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Last nights attendance confirms that Div 1 football will not fill a stadium,Leeds excepted.
Promotion is a must before Falmer is completed,otherwise we will be in a similar situation as Colchester.

Sorry but that's rubbish. Colchester managed on 2000 crowds at Layer Rd for many years. There are many Ipswich and West Ham fans in the town. Albion have a much bigger support base. Col U gates don't confirm anything about Falmer.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Some of you are being a bit unfair about Colchester's ground. Okay, it may not be Wembley, or even Falmer, but this is a club living within its means. The 10,000 capacity is realistic, but they know it will be easy to double that if they establish themselves at a higher level.

The stadium is very obviously built down to a budget. Under the stands, it's all unfinished breeze blocks and bare-bones catering. Imagine Withdean's appalling burger vans operation being franchised out to Essex. Ugly, but it does a basic job at minimum cost.

Colchester's four-sheds design is utterly charmless, but, as Edna has pointed out, it's unfair to compare their stadium with Falmer. Different budgets, different ambitions. And very different crowd statistics too.

It's not the club's fault that the local council has stuck them in the back of beyond in a crap industrial estate. What's totally unforgivable though is the complete absence of any directional signs whatsoever, whether from the A12 or the town centre. It's ridiculous that, while you can see the stadium as you pass it on the A12, there is still no visible means of reaching it.

I'm ranting because, having arrived in the area half an hour before kick-off, I was still late for the kick-off. It got worse. The only advertised car parks en route to the stadium were asking seven quid - for the privilege of parking in open wasteland. No wonder most of the locals just park on the grass verges and stick two fingers up to officialdom. Complete and utter rip-off.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
im sorry but even with this trick photography its shithouse!!

Colchester%20Community%20Stadium%20Panoramic%201.jpg

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Their new stadium is probably better than their old and I don't think we should be getting all snooby about it. .

Indeed. They were non league 40 years ago and their old ground only held 7,000.

They have built what is right for them, it's functional, neat and you don't get wet when it rains. They are a small club, what did people expect them to do.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
So in other words, "yes there is a problem, you need to park and get on a bus". When will these people learn that most people hate the whole bus thing and expect to be able to park close to the ground and walk? :censored:

Most people I know are too pissed to drive to the game.
Who goes to the football without a few :drink::drink::drink: beforehand ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Excellent. Thanks for your enlightened insight on passenger movement.

I will count myself as being in the minority of not detesting going to a football ground on a bus.
He has a point though. What percentage of football fans up and down the country get to the games by bus? I'm guessing 3% at the absolute most, and the reason is that people prefer to drive and walk or get the train and walk.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
He has a point though. What percentage of football fans up and down the country get to the games by bus? I'm guessing 3% at the absolute most, and the reason is that people prefer to drive and walk or get the train and walk.

Or possibly that a bus isn't a particularly viable option.

But that's not why I commented. His point was that people HATE to take the bus.

One might prefer to walk or drive or take the train to any given match, but have you chosen not to take the bus because you hate it - or possibly because it's not as convenient as the alternatives?

I wouldn't like to travel to an away match on, say, a Brighton & Hove bus, but if it's the most convenient way to get to an away ground from the railway station or a P&R site, why would one hate it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Or possibly that a bus isn't a particularly viable option.

But that's not why I commented. His point was that people HATE to take the bus.

One might prefer to walk or drive or take the train to any given match, but have you chosen not to take the bus because you hate it - or possibly because it's not as convenient as the alternatives?
Yeah that's fair enough too. I think I've only taken the bus to the SOCCER twice. Once was after drinking for too long in The Nelson, and one was an away trip and I've forgotten where.

I guess my opinion of bus travel is clouded by the escape from Withdean experience which of course is shithouse, plus there is always the worry of being lumped in with all the other BUS WANKERS.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

So what percentage of our crowds use the Park & Ride facilities at Mill Road and Mithras House? I bet its more than 3%.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I don't get buses to football matches as such, but I have got park and ride many times. I think it is a good idea. I would even go so far to suggest at some stadiums park and ride is essential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here