Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Coincidental (?) Potterish Things

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This.

It came good from the Emirates April 2022, onwards.

Before that we rarely won at the Amex, long goalless runs.

He revolutionised us into playing far better football, there were famous thrashings of Spurs and Manure, landmark away wins, but it was not 3.1 seasons of glory.
Still usually not winning a lot of home games. Same in the last season with Hughton.

Different players, different managers, same fans. Same results.

Might have something to do with the general lack of gratefulness shown towards hard working players and staff.

:whistle:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Still usually not winning a lot of home games. Same in the last season with Hughton.

Might have something to do with the general lack of gratefulness shown towards hard working players and staff.

there is a fair amount of ambivalent support at home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When GPott was good he was very good and hindsight suggests overpraised.
(something we love as fans of lil old Brighton, we're ALL now doing exactly the same again).

When GPott was bad he was very bad and hindsight suggests got too many free passes.
(History suggests that again is not too far away)

We all knew he doesn't get any passes at Chelsea, that's why they pay their managers the big bucks, and why this is so funny now.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hence the inconsistency, which is manifesting itself again at Chelsea. He starts with an unbeaten run of 6-7 games. Now he is on a run of 1 win in 8 ( Bmuff ) Same at Brighton. It will drive the entitled brigade mad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
City in the cup.
Fulham, Palace, Liverpool, Fulham, West Ham.
Dortmund first leg CL.
Lose the cup games and don't get at least 9 points in those league games and I think he's out. Massive few weeks.
In fact, the Fulham games are massive. If they lose both those ooof.
Nothing to play for from March onwards and GPott is done - Chelsea wasn't built for that.

Unfortunately I find it hard to believe they'll lose to City and Dortmund, which is a shame cos that would be fudging hilario.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Potter platitudes in abundance last night....." Chelsea fans are very knowledgeable.....they know their football.......they were fantastic tonight "
He makes these schoolboy errors all the time. This was the time for straight talking....." we were forced to turn to some of our younger, less experienced guys tonight and by and large I thought they did remarkably well against a world class side. It bodes well for the future. "

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok...I'll bite.....distasteful?
Some of the comments, mostly from those who were slagging Potter off during most of his tenure here until they looked mugs in his last six months. He was a money grabbing Judas for leaving and I also enjoy seeing Chelsea lose but that cannot take away what he did when he was here imo :shrug:

Seems some want to paint a picture of a pretty useless manager, that is distasteful as well as stupid to me

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Some of the comments, mostly from those who were slagging Potter off during most of his tenure here until they looked mugs in his last six months. He was a money grabbing Judas for leaving and I also enjoy seeing Chelsea lose but that cannot take away what he did when he was here imo :shrug:

Seems some want to paint a picture of a pretty useless manager, that is distasteful as well as stupid to me
Not useless at all. Did a good job at Brighton but not a fantastic job, as is popular speak amongst pundits. The end of season run plus the first six games this term propelled him into the mindset of bigger clubs. Jumping from 13th to 9th in the second half v West Ham was hugely beneficial. We were then perceived as a top half side and Potter's CV was much more impressive.
I still feel that if we had finished 15th, 16th and 13th under him and not got off to a flyer this season, then its much less likely he would be Chelsea manager now.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think the appointment of Potter at Stamford Bridge is just what the Chelsea fans need to reduce their sense of entitlement.
They are beginning a journey with him and building something together. From when Abramovich took over they just bullied their way, buying established world class players to win competitions. In fairness many managers would have succeeded in those circumstances.
Selecting youngsters when not winning takes some bottle.

Most Arsenal fans would have ditched Arteta last year but their hierarchy backed him when he stuck with their youngsters, Chelsea need to do the same.
I hope Potter gets given 18 months at least to develop and restructure the Chelsea squad.
Graham's a good person, he worked exceptionally hard at Brighton and built an excellent platform for RDZ to continue our exciting journey.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The bloke literally had six good months in three years results wise and left immediately. He finished lower with Swansea than Steve Cooper and now has Chelsea in 10th. He’s a fraud
Feels a bit unfair to me.

He took a team playing a more defensive style of football and completely turned it round style wise. That takes time (and Trust by Bloom).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just wondering which of Biss, Maupay and Cucu will come back to the Amex on a cut price loan first.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But prior to Ashworth joining and the seasons before that our home form kept us up and got us promoted.

The final 3 months of Hughton’s reign skewed the figures a little.

(That seems ages ago).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here