Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG to Sheff utd now? & others transfer listed?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I really hope not. To rely on an unproven 16 year old as part of your first team strike force, would be stupid in my view. Thats not to say I would not play him if he shows to be good enough during the coming season, but no way would I gamble on him being counted as a first team player and taking the place of a recognised striker..

As a 4th choice striker i really don't think its beyond reasonable.

Chances are we will have Baldock plus 2 new strikers... we generally play one up top, so unless we have a serious injury scenario he really wont get much game time, I would love to see him in and around the 1st team squad though.

We will struggle to convince 3 proven strikers plus Baldock that they will get much game time, so going with a young/youth product if Hughton deems him good enough as a 4th striker seems great to me and shows the other young lads a path to the first team squad is there.

Watching him against Stoke u21s the other night was enough for me to know he is a very very good prospect. Sure get him in all those u21 games regularly to further his development, but I think he has what it takes to make the step up if required.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Monakana and Fenelon are out on loan and (reports say) will be out of contract in summer so decision is imminent on those two.
Would be a surprise if either were offered new contracts.
Chicksen has a contract til summer 2016 so back i assume, for now, as part of the first team squad.

Sorry mixed up Fenelon and Chicksen being the ones still out on loan with Monakana.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Two pages of transfer debate and hardly any mention of what this team desperately needs - a 15-20 goals a season striker...
I think we need your 15-20 goals a season striker plus another one of similar quality. Plus somebody in midfield capable of hitting double figures. Defenders should not be anywhere close to being our leading goal scorer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or... recognise the wider problems in our squad, and deal with it.

Your post is, frankly, ill-thought-out nonsense.
My mistake with no pressing problems now is definitely the time to sort out the wider issues.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My source in Yorkieland says that the Blades are still intent on a "marquee" signing despite them losing in the play-offs.

Oct 25, 2003
in hindsight we should have let him go in jan when united were after him. despite him being on reasonable form at the time it would have freed up a good chunk of wages that could have gone on a better loanee than best. I quite like O'Grady despite his limitations but i'm not convinced he's ever been happy here and he hasn't been in Hughtons plans at all really

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
in hindsight we should have let him go in jan when united were after him. despite him being on reasonable form at the time it would have freed up a good chunk of wages that could have gone on a better loanee than best. I quite like O'Grady despite his limitations but i'm not convinced he's ever been happy here and he hasn't been in Hughtons plans at all really

O’Grady has been unlucky with Hughton using the games to trial Best instead of giving him a decent run in the team. The last three games we won against Derby, Ipswich and Blackburn all had O’Grady in the team. His hold up play and cutting pass to KLL against Derby was superb.

I like him but when he does get picked is always left isolated upfront on his own. I think his limitations are more a reflection on the players around him, and a tactical defensive choice by Hughton.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
O’Grady has been unlucky with Hughton using the games to trial Best instead of giving him a decent run in the team. The last three games we won against Derby, Ipswich and Blackburn all had O’Grady in the team. His hold up play and cutting pass to KLL against Derby was superb.

I like him but when he does get picked is always left isolated upfront on his own. I think his limitations are more a reflection on the players around him, and a tactical defensive choice by Hughton.

This. Play him with a partner and we may see the best of him. I think we should keep him as one of four strikers but not 1st choice. In fact, I hope COG & Baldock will be the 2nd choice striker partnership with two 'marquee' signings to come.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I just feel Holla and Chicksen have had enough chances. We definitely need a major overhaul, although it is difficult to gauge how deep the axe will cut.

Imagine if the club, or even Palace actually had the same attitude towards the players as you do. Glenn Murray, for example, wouldn't have had his good goal scoring season at either club, which both ended in promotion, as you would have already shown them the door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here