Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG - The BFC lowdown (as promised)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for posting. Looks strong on the ball and it's handy that he seems able to score simple goals, we have struggled with those in the last couple of years. Seems to score from various positions and can take penalties too. Looking forward to seeing him play

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Chris joined us from our near neighbours, Sheffield Wednesday.

He scored near enough a goal every other game. He created (directly) plenty. Indirectly, he assisted many more.

He led from the front. He can hold the ball up as good as anyone. He's strong, powerful and has the knack of positioning his body (his backside in most cases) in such a way that defenders can't get close enough to him. But he's also got great feet. He's not Zlatan, nor has he the technical qualities of a Messi or Ronaldo. But he's deceptively tricky. He can score from inside and outside the box, left foot, right foot, occasionally with his head. But he prefers the ball into feet. He's not quick, but those who deem him slow are being unkind. He's got a great turn of pace from standing starts that gets the ball out of his feet and in a position to smack it towards goal.

He can take a penalty well, although the couple that he missed last season pretty much cost us if you want to look at things like that. But then, were it not for his 15 goals we'd have been relegated by Xmas. We were that bad. Honestly, a handful of displays aside (one against you lot while COG was injured) it was about as bad a Barnsley side that I've seen in 26 seasons as a supporter. The season before that, we were awful for most of it but pulled off a remarkable run to stay up, COG being key to doing that. But all in all, he's done what he's done for us playing in a poor side low on confidence and beaten up on a regular basis. I can only imagine him being even more impressive were he in a capable side.

He's had lots of clubs, some of them loans, and on paper he's hardly a mouthwatering acquisition for you. He might turn out to be awful for you. He apparently was for Wednesday, despite him being their top scorer at the time they let us have him. But I seriously can't see him being awful for you. He's a terrific option to have, easy to love (works as hard as any striker) and will chip in with and create goals. Not to mention the fact that defenders know they've been in a game.

I'm sad to see him go. But we had to cash in, we have such a rebuild on our hands. But he's gone with near enough a 100% positive reaction from the fanbase, which says everything. I won't lie, I'm not really bothered about your club. Bit of an irrelevance to us as I'm sure we are to you. But from now on, I'll be looking out for your results and wishing COGba all the best.

Thanks for reading. Treat him well, eh?

And here's a quick video I cobbled together earlier:

looks good with both feet
thank you for that
you sir are a true gentleman

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is not going to go down well with a lot of people on here.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some idea of what he can do.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

He scored near enough a goal every other game. He created (directly) plenty. Indirectly, he assisted many more.

He led from the front. He can hold the ball up as good as anyone. He's strong, powerful and has the knack of positioning his body (his backside in most cases) in such a way that defenders can't get close enough to him. But he's also got great feet. He's not Zlatan, nor has he the technical qualities of a Messi or Ronaldo. But he's deceptively tricky. He can score from inside and outside the box, left foot, right foot, occasionally with his head. But he prefers the ball into feet. He's not quick, but those who deem him slow are being unkind. He's got a great turn of pace from standing starts that gets the ball out of his feet and in a position to smack it towards goal.

He can take a penalty well, although the couple that he missed last season pretty much cost us if you want to look at things like that. But then, were it not for his 15 goals we'd have been relegated by Xmas. We were that bad. Honestly, a handful of displays aside (one against you lot while COG was injured) it was about as bad a Barnsley side that I've seen in 26 seasons as a supporter. The season before that, we were awful for most of it but pulled off a remarkable run to stay up, COG being key to doing that. But all in all, he's done what he's done for us playing in a poor side low on confidence and beaten up on a regular basis. I can only imagine him being even more impressive were he in a capable side.

He's had lots of clubs, some of them loans, and on paper he's hardly a mouthwatering acquisition for you. He might turn out to be awful for you. He apparently was for Wednesday, despite him being their top scorer at the time they let us have him. But I seriously can't see him being awful for you. He's a terrific option to have, easy to love (works as hard as any striker) and will chip in with and create goals. Not to mention the fact that defenders know they've been in a game.

I'm sad to see him go. But we had to cash in, we have such a rebuild on our hands. But he's gone with near enough a 100% positive reaction from the fanbase, which says everything. I won't lie, I'm not really bothered about your club. Bit of an irrelevance to us as I'm sure we are to you. But from now on, I'll be looking out for your results and wishing COGba all the best.

I feel a lot more positive about Chris O'Grady having read this. And to think that my Barnsley loving pal gave him such a poor write up when I spoke to him earlier in the week. It just goes to show that football is a game of opinions. Am looking forward to seeing COG pull on the stripes next month and really hope he does well for us.

Thanks very much for posting Whitey.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks for taking the time to post this Whitey. He looks good, and I hope he can do the business for us. You can't argue with 15 goals in a season.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Thanks for posting, WhiteyBFC.

Some pretty impressive stuff on there and also someone who can take a decent penalty. Just what we need.

Good luck for next season to the Tykes.

Danny Wilson was a great player for us and always been one of my favourite Albion players so I hope he can get you back up again.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Blimey - is that a Cruyff turn I saw in there? That video has cheered me up no end - thanks Whitey.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Excellent work there, thank you :clap2:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
He looks very good in that video. Needs to be taken with a pinch of salt though as there is a reason Ulloa went for £10m and O'Grady £500k (obviously aside from differences in league and wealth) despite O'Grady probably looking the better player on video evidence alone.

Not to put him down though, I'm sure he'll be very useful but hope people won't now expect goals like that every game, plus the video doesn't show what he's doing for most of the 90 minutes. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Though how bonkers is it we are now spending £500k on support strikers? That was our recored fee only 3 years ago.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I like the cut of his jib in his intro interview and seems confident in his wish to succeed. Those clips above show him to have a bit to his game and more excited now. Also, if we paid 5% of Leo's fee for him, he has, in my eyes, around 37% of Leo's underlip muffery, his indeed more refined, a Brazilipian if you like, so hopefully his overall value to us will be similar.

chris joined us from our near neighbours, sheffield wednesday.

He led from the front. He can hold the ball up as good as anyone. He's strong, powerful and has the knack of positioning his body (his backside in most cases) in such a way that defenders can't get close enough to him. But he's also got great feet. He's not zlatan, nor has he the technical qualities of a messi or ronaldo. But he's deceptively tricky. He can score from inside and outside the box, left foot, right foot, occasionally with his head. But he prefers the ball into feet. He's not quick, but those who deem him slow are being unkind. He's got a great turn of pace from standing starts that gets the ball out of his feet and in a position to smack it towards goal.

He can take a penalty well, although the couple that he missed last season pretty much cost us if you want to look at things like that. But then, were it not for his 15 goals we'd have been relegated by xmas. We were that bad. Honestly, a handful of displays aside (one against you lot while cog was injured) it was about as bad a barnsley side that i've seen in 26 seasons as a supporter. The season before that, we were awful for most of it but pulled off a remarkable run to stay up, cog being key to doing that. But all in all, he's done what he's done for us playing in a poor side low on confidence and beaten up on a regular basis. I can only imagine him being even more impressive were he in a capable side.

He's had lots of clubs, some of them loans, and on paper he's hardly a mouthwatering acquisition for you. He might turn out to be awful for you. He apparently was for wednesday, despite him being their top scorer at the time they let us have him. But i seriously can't see him being awful for you. He's a terrific option to have, easy to love (works as hard as any striker) and will chip in with and create goals. Not to mention the fact that defenders know they've been in a game.

I'm sad to see him go. But we had to cash in, we have such a rebuild on our hands. But he's gone with near enough a 100% positive reaction from the fanbase, which says everything. I won't lie, i'm not really bothered about your club. Bit of an irrelevance to us as i'm sure we are to you. But from now on, i'll be looking out for your results and wishing cogba all the best.

And here's a quick video i cobbled together earlier:

will double check this with my neighbour a barnsley loyal from hove!???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here