Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coffee Bars/Cheap Office

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Before getting my current job, I met the recruitment consultant in a coffee shop so he could tell me a bit more about the role, the company and also make sure I was a suitable candidate. We discussed my CV at a high level and he gave me an opportunity to ask some questions.

First time this has ever happened, but actually I thought it was a nice touch. He paid for my large tea and bought a coffee for himself.

When I had been in the role for three months, they did the same thing, took me out for a cuppa and had a chat about how things were going, and was asking about the lay of the land for future potential recruitment.

D

Deleted member 2719

Had another example of a Coffee bar being used as a cheap alternate for an office,found a spare table a few minutes later another person entered and joined a female on the table next to us,she was questioned on her past experience and produced a CV which was discussed entries were made on a laptop and a couple of calls made on a mobile,it was a narrow room and you could not ignore what was going on,by now the place was full and in fact people were looking for a space and left which meant loss business for the firm,only the person conducting the interview purchased a drink,
I consider that large notices should be put up to put an end to this situation

What you have to understand is small business need to look as big as possible nowadays to make an initial impression. I used to use the local Hilton to hold the first interview and bought copious amount of cappuccinos and therefore deserved my table space. There would be plenty of table spaces and the few they were taken were often taken by a visitor who would sit there for a couple of hours with a tea pot to share.
You could argue that at least i was being productive towards the economy, unlike the teapot gang talking the time of day.

D

Deleted member 2719

Why do people not chose a pub as most are nearly empty so you could be in a quiet corner without interruption and dont have to have alcohol.

That is the problem they generally are too quite, i found there is a balance to what noise level you need, so it's private enough and not too distracting for the interviewee.

Pubs you also get the local sitting at the end of the bar ffffing and blinding.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is the problem they generally are too quite, i found there is a balance to what noise level you need, so it's private enough and not too distracting for the interviewee.

Pubs you also get the local sitting at the end of the bar ffffing and blinding.

Most are big enough to find a secluded corner though. Also if you offer them a drink from the drink and speed of drinking etc you can gauge a persons drinking habit or otherwise. One of my old bosses when interviewing, granted for a pub manager, always asked what they wanted to drink to gauge that. and one man asked for a pink gin and as it was 10am went immediately to the bottom of the list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here