Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coeliac

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
My wife is coeliac which makes life a little awkward when eating out, if we go into certain restaurants and ask if they have any Gluten free option meals they either look at us in bewilderment or are downright rude as they think it is a fad diet. Coeliac disease is a food intolerance/allergy suffered by over half a million people in the UK.
Can anyone recommend some restaurants they know do a Gluten free option on their menu, we currently have to use La Tasca or Weatherspoons on the Marina

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You're usually ok with indian restaurants as they don't tend to use wheat flour. My friend who is coeliac swears by Ashoka including the popadoms and bhajis.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
any restaurant worth their salt cater for coeliacs, make a point when booking a table to mention that your wife is a coeliac and ask what options they have also mention it when you arrive. there is a real problem with people who say they allergic to wheat and other cereals who when they don't like the options offered decide they will will have the wheat dish anyway.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I noticed whilst on holiday a couple of weeks ago that the fish and chip shop in Lustrells Vale have a gluten free option on Tuesdays where the fish is fried completely separately.

The Captains Table
83-85 Lustrells Vale, Saltdean, Brighton, East Sussex, BN2 8FA
01273 305577

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My wife is coeliac which makes life a little awkward when eating out, if we go into certain restaurants and ask if they have any Gluten free option meals they either look at us in bewilderment or are downright rude as they think it is a fad diet. Coeliac disease is a food intolerance/allergy suffered by over half a million people in the UK.
Can anyone recommend some restaurants they know do a Gluten free option on their menu, we currently have to use La Tasca or Weatherspoons on the Marina
Yes we get this all the time in our pub. We are neither rude or bewildered by it, in fact we mark 'gluten free' on our menu.

Last week we had a gluten free order (I think it was smoked duck), but she wanted chips with it. I told her that the chips were fried in the same oil that we may have cooked scampi or onion rings (both covered in breadcrumbs) so did she want new potatoes instead? No, she said, I want chips....I'm not really coeliac, just trying to cut down on bread/wheat. Silly :moo:....gives people like your wife a bad name.

....our pub is in Wales, probably not much use to you:hilton:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You're usually ok with indian restaurants as they don't tend to use wheat flour.

what sort of flour do they use then? i gather poppadoms are lentil and chick pea, but whats in bahjis and nann?

...just trying to cut down on bread/wheat. Silly :moo:....

but duck and chips is ok? what is the thing against wheat people seem to be having at the moment? carbs are carbs in my point of view.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Yes we get this all the time in our pub. We are neither rude or bewildered by it, in fact we mark 'gluten free' on our menu.

Last week we had a gluten free order (I think it was smoked duck), but she wanted chips with it. I told her that the chips were fried in the same oil that we may have cooked scampi or onion rings (both covered in breadcrumbs) so did she want new potatoes instead? No, she said, I want chips....I'm not really coeliac, just trying to cut down on bread/wheat. Silly :moo:....gives people like your wife a bad name.

....our pub is in Wales, probably not much use to you:hilton:

She is half Welsh so we spend a bit of time in Merthyr so you never know but thanks everyone for your help especially the fish & chips in Saltdean, you've all been a real help

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I noticed whilst on holiday a couple of weeks ago that the fish and chip shop in Lustrells Vale have a gluten free option on Tuesdays where the fish is fried completely separately.

The Captains Table
83-85 Lustrells Vale, Saltdean, Brighton, East Sussex, BN2 8FA
01273 305577
That's my local chippie and it's great that they are making an effort to cater for those like me who suffer from this ailment. I make a point of getting fish and chips there on a Tuesday , and I hope other Coeliacs support this business.
I was first diagnosed just over two years ago, and although awareness of this illness is increasing, there are many food outlets that don't cater for gluten intolerant customers.

That's my local chippie and it's great that they are making an effort to cater for those like me who suffer from this ailment. I make a point of getting fish and chips there on a Tuesday , and I hope other Coeliacs support this business.
I was first diagnosed just over two years ago, and although awareness of this illness is increasing, there are many food outlets that don't cater for gluten intolerant customers.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what happens if you have gluten in your diet then?

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Please excuse my ignorance, but what happens if you have gluten in your diet then?

With my missus she gets chronic pains in her stomach and let's just say within seconds she needs to be close to a loo, a little gluten is not life threatening but to completely ignore the intolerance and put up with the pain would eventually take it's toll

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
what sort of flour do they use then? i gather poppadoms are lentil and chick pea, but whats in bahjis and nann?

It's garram flour, yes made from Chick peas... and it's used for everything EXCEPT breadssuch as naan and chapati, which do indeed use wheat flour, apologies.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
It prevents the digestive system from extracting nourishment from food, by depressing the villi.
In a nutshell it makes the body attack itself. In my case I became anaemic, always felt exhausted , and I became very depressed. I also suffered from a related disease called Dermatitis Herpetiformis, whish causes very painful skin eruptions.
If left undiagnosed for a long time Coeliac disease can lead to Osteoporosis ( Brittle bone disease) and even cancer.

Crikey, that is bloody awful is know all about Osteoporosis realted illness, i have severe ankylosing spondylitis, i have been stuck indoors off work as all my joints have given up on me, had it since i was 19

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's garram flour, yes made from Chick peas... and it's used for everything EXCEPT breadssuch as naan and chapati, which do indeed use wheat flour, apologies.

thanks, no need to apologise spreading a little knowledge :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here