Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cockney Rhyming Slang

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I can assure you that Kettle is as in Kettle Drum as it was said to me many times by H when he knew I supported BHA. The dockers always asked each other when to go back to work by Usually saying what is the Harry (Lime) on your Hop (scotch)

Deaf and dumb is bum, Harry dash as in (flash Harry) is flash. Harry lime I am not even convinced is traditional slang for time. When you talk about H are you on about Harry Haywood? I do hope so, that would be funny

Anyway, ignorance is bliss, as you were.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I dont know where in London half of the people on here have come from or been invented from but Harry Dash is a slash and I would say that most are wrong in their assumption. As for quoting Minder I am talking of 10 - 15 years before Minder was ever thought of and spoken by East End dockers in Royal Albert Docks who were customers in my pub . Just to name drop Harry Redknapps dad was one H as he was known.

Just read the post above and they are all correct.

It is obvious that over many years the slang has been interpreted in many ways by different people and it is still happening today.
Just because you were with people talking it long before minder does not mean it is wrong. Minder is a good example to quote from as it is full of slang and I am sure that they had researchers and maybe even cockneys for advice.
For example if all the above in your opinion is correct then why is pigs ear slang for beer. Because I have always thought that people say you have made a pigs ear of it if you have messed something up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Deaf and dumb is bum, Harry dash as in (flash Harry) is flash. Harry lime I am not even convinced is traditional slang for time. When you talk about H are you on about Harry Haywood? I do hope so, that would be funny

Anyway, ignorance is bliss, as you were.

As I said in a previous post Harry Redknaps dad also Harry but known to his fellow dockers in the Royal Albert Docks as H.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
It is obvious that over many years the slang has been interpreted in many ways by different people and it is still happening today.
Just because you were with people talking it long before minder does not mean it is wrong. Minder is a good example to quote from as it is full of slang and I am sure that they had researchers and maybe even cockneys for advice.
For example if all the above in your opinion is correct then why is pigs ear slang for beer. Because I have always thought that people say you have made a pigs ear of it if you have messed something up.

The thing is though mate, the original cockney for time is not Harry Lime, I knew I was right and Harry Lime was used by some for time but was taken from a film called the third man, that was made in 1949(according to wiki), I will maintain until my last breath that Harry dash is flash, and Lemon is smart. Obviously as you say there are new ones that come along but for someone to say that others are wrong is just stupid considering he wants to quote something as fact when it dates from 1949, where as rhyming slang is over 150 years old.
Anyway Im going to leave it there before Buzzer tells me to f**k off to the BBS and I am saddo etc :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
EDS I can only say what I heard as a publican coming from Sussex, I am not a cockney nor an authority just lifes experience and never having heard many expressions as said on here, so will leave it at that.

Can we have GM back on loan until Christmas to give him matches and benefit both us and you.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I can only say what I heard as a publican coming from Sussex, I am not a cockney nor an authority just lifes experience and never having heard many expressions as said on here, so will leave it at that.

But you wanted to mock others and "assure" people a minute ago, anyway as you said best to leave it there

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The thing is though mate, the original cockney for time is not Harry Lime, I knew I was right and Harry Lime was used by some for time but was taken from a film called the third man, that was made in 1949(according to wiki), I will maintain until my last breath that Harry dash is flash, and Lemon is smart. Obviously as you say there are new ones that come along but for someone to say that others are wrong is just stupid considering he wants to quote something as fact when it dates from 1949, where as rhyming slang is over 150 years old.
Anyway Im going to leave it there before Buzzer tells me to f**k off to the BBS and I am saddo etc :lol:

You are alright, my best mate of many years is a Palace fan. I have learned how to cope and adapt.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I can assure you that Kettle is as in Kettle Drum as it was said to me many times by H when he knew I supported BHA. The dockers always asked each other when to go back to work by Usually saying what is the Harry (Lime) on your Hop (scotch)

Why did H, Rednapps dad say kettle drum to you because you supported BHA?. I am guessing this was 40+ years ago.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Without getting into a whose more London debate, I think you are WRONG. I think Lemon=smart, lemon tart smart .

Harry dash=flash as in flash Harry?, it may kill you to admit it but I am right, everyone has heard of the phrase flash Harry(dash=flash).

You're probably right mate , its a debatable one not like if so.meone tried to tell me that boat wasn't face etc

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Time isn't harry lime , time is bird , bird lime = time , ie doing bird.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why did H, Rednapps dad say kettle drum to you because you supported BHA?. I am guessing this was 40+ years ago.

Because it has been, at least since the war the gay capital and in fact Brighton was known as the weekend retreat for pimps and pansies even in the 50s. He asked if we all took it up the 'kettle.'

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Because it has been, at least since the war the gay capital and in fact Brighton was known as the weekend retreat for pimps and pansies even in the 50s. He asked if we all took it up the 'kettle.'

Its nothing new then!!
I don't remember any homophobic abuse towards us at the Goldstone in the 70s.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I dont know where in London half of the people on here have come from or been invented from but Harry Dash is a slash and I would say that most are wrong in their assumption.

im not from London but spent a half dozen years on building sites with them and Harry Dash is definatly flash. there was a carpenter who'd proclaim every completed job was "very 'arry". before suggesting it was time for sherbert....

which brings a question. i didnt then and never have got the the Sherbert = beer link, anyone enlighten? at uni I encountered it again from sarf Londoner's. in a group it there was months of a confused look from a norf east Londoner's didnt understand why either and used it for cab, which makes sence.

i dont think the second meaning is rhyming slang, its reference to the term "can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". you've tried to and its gone all Pete Tong.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
i didnt then and never have got the the Sherbert = beer link, anyone enlighten? at uni I encountered it again from sarf Londoner's. in a group it there was months of a confused look from a norf east Londoner's didnt understand why either and used it for cab, which makes sence.

I have heard it used for cab but also beer/pints. The cabs one I always just assumed was Sherbet dib dab=cab, as for the sherbet one I cheated and looked on google and surprisingly it is in the dictionary as Australian slang for beer, not sure how its made its way over here to be honest

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Alot of Londoners went out to Australia so that how i think that would happen. always hear a large slice of cockney in the Aussie accent (like a mix with scouse to my ear, and i think fits some of the history of the early immigrants)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here