Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cockney Rhyming Slang

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Slaughter is house as in slaughter house I think, but a home is also a drum but I know not why. This is still all from Minder.
Jacobs is one of my favourites, Jacobs crackers , knackers

How much does a Cockney spend on shampoo?

Paaaan ten

Drum is not rhyming slang

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Up the deaf and dumb :thumbsup:

One also used chez kumquat though doesn't take much to make my girlfriend's eyes water.

A particular favourite of mine is a "commodore". As in, "How much is that squire?". "Well normally guv i'd charge a score, but to you, a commodore". It means 15 quid because it's "three times a lady". As in Lady Godiva, fiver.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Why does Terry use both of these when he asks Arfur to drop him off at his flat.
He said meet me at my slaughter or drop me off at my drum

All I know it is something to do with Burglary believe it or not, they used to refer to it as doing a drum

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
In Football Factory one of the characters, whilst in the midst of an argument, says to the other fellow"'don't go and get all lemon". What on earth does that mean?

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Just off for a gypsy (kiss).
Shut ya north and sarf.
Got a couple of bags (of sand) in the bank.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
All I know it is something to do with Burglary believe it or not, they used to refer to it as doing a drum

Slaughter was slang in the east end for somewhere where a crime was committed and usually where stolen goods were traded. Hence Arthur's use of it in Minder to refer to his lock up.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
In Football Factory one of the characters, whilst in the midst of an argument, says to the other fellow"'don't go and get all lemon". What on earth does that mean?

Smart, my dad once said it when I back chatted him followed by a clip round the ear.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Slaughter was slang in the east end for somewhere where a crime was committed and usually where stolen goods were traded. Hence Arthur's use of it in Minder to refer to his lock up.

Probably I really do not know, I have heard lamb to the slaughter to mean daughter but do not think it is original as I said.

Has anyone mentioned "whistle" yet?

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009

"Why ya talk to me in that muggy little rhyming slang, Zeb-er-f@cking-dee?" :)

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Probably I really do not know, I have heard lamb to the slaughter to mean daughter but do not think it is original as I said.

I think the Minder one is not even rhyming slang. Just that in the east end a slaughterhouse was a term for a place where dodgy stuff was done and it was often shortened to slaughter. Probably the daughter one is correct but just a different use.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I think the Minder one is not even rhyming slang. Just that in the east end a slaughterhouse was a term for a place where dodgy stuff was done and it was often shortened to slaughter. Probably the daughter one is correct but just a different use.

I think that the actual "cockney" one is bricks as in bricks and mortar, the same as Eartha kitt is not really rhyming slang for s**t, is it actually Tom Titt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here