Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Co-working spaces

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't understand? I think I co-work... All I need is a laptop and phone to do my job... I have a main office but also work in other offices of my organisation with other people and also work from home sometimes...

Co-working is more typically done my self-employed or those at companies with a very small number of employees. It will be a space owned typically owned by none of those people, but where people sub-contract a bit of space and then use the other shared facilities - connectivity, power, toilets, a kettle etc etc.

The people don't work together in any way, but the sharing of ideas is not uncommon. Co-working might be used by those involved in technology and creative industries, but not exclusively.

My permanent office is in Bristol. At times I work at home, in London, in Melbourne, in Montreal, in Hong Kong and in New York. None of that is co-working.

D

Deleted member 18477

Co-working is more typically done my self-employed or those at companies with a very small number of employees. It will be a space owned typically owned by none of those people, but where people sub-contract a bit of space and then use the other shared facilities - connectivity, power, toilets, a kettle etc etc.

The people don't work together in any way, but the sharing of ideas is not uncommon. Co-working might be used by those involved in technology and creative industries, but not exclusively.

My permanent office is in Bristol. At times I work at home, in London, in Melbourne, in Montreal, in Hong Kong and in New York. None of that is co-working.

Yea I understand now. Edited my post... Seems like a good idea for the right businesses.

And what the hell do you do?? I'd love to visit those places paid for by my work!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What I'm interested in is why you're considering this now as I always thought you were fine with working at home. Have you found that having some non-colleagues in close attendance is actually OK?

Good question. When I moved I figured it would be a better option than sitting in my apartment all day. I figured I'd get to see more of the city and it's every day life and meet people etc. But, over time I have actually begun to really like it. The space I use is in a brilliant location which I chose and it's a really light and airy building with everything I need. I have also naturally gravitated towards like minded people who I get on with really well and as none of us work with or for each other there is no office politics etc; it's the best of the office world without the crap and it is a lot more fun than working from home. I doubt I'd go back to permanently working from home now.

When I was in the UK last time I used two places as a way of moving around and being able to see some friends but also still get my work done. I want to explore this more and also use it for away games. An example is the Blackburn game. I want to spend a few days in Manchester so I will look for a space there, do some work during the day and then have the evenings to myself. And I am also looking to do some long weekends around Europe and using coworking spaces I need not lose any holiday. All the places I have been in touch with allow single day bookings, so it seems a really flexible way of working which I want to exploit for my benefit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Agree, you have to put up with a lot of facial hair, coffee bores and single-speed bicycles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Well put. They are very popular with start-ups as well. I'd say about 70% of the people I share with are digitial start-up businesses.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh yes, the butler and gardener

So, when I come and work at your co-working space will I get use of the butler? Does the package include free travel? :smile:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am actually based in Crawley but work from home most days. I get up to hounslow, one of our DC,s once a week.

The us are very keen on co- working, but I have never really fully understood it.

Having a lap top, company iphone, broadband, wifi,cloud and VPN access, I can do everything I need to do from home apart from talking to people face to face, which is why I like going to hounslow, as we humans need interaction, or you end up staring at the wall!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I am actually based in Crawley but work from home most days. I get up to hounslow, one of our DC,s once a week.

The us are very keen on co- working, but I have never really fully understood it.

Having a lap top, company iphone, broadband, wifi,cloud and VPN access, I can do everything I need to do from home apart from talking to people face to face, which is why I like going to hounslow, as we humans need interaction, or you end up staring at the wall!

You might be interested in the Horsham one, though it is only fortnightly at the moment - http://horshamdigital.co.uk. I've been a couple of times and there's one or two other web designers there as well as some IT bods, photographer, PR/Marketing people - all self employed. It's a good group.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Pretty much same situation as me. I can hot desk in London, but I try to stay out of the office as I understand that if I'm there more than three times a week it becomes a tax issue and I won't be able to claim certain travel expenses etc.

I looked into a co-working space, as it would free up a bedroom (home office) and therefore save me rent, but there was no real saving when factoring the costs of the co-working space.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Funnily enough I actually set up a co-working facility when I worked at the Brighton media centre. They are quite popular although have downsides, dealing with other people etc. It is preferable to working consistently on your own as this can lead to depression. There are a few places in Brighton I know of that do it but I'm sure many others do too. Brighton Media Centre and The Werks in Hove do it. The Werks has maintenance and funding issues so definitely a place to co-work temporarily and not invest in an office lease. Co-working can offer benefits such as free or discounted use of conference and meeting room space.

Be warned though, any company offering co-working is usually a company that wouldn't have thought of doing it until they needed the cash. This throws up two issues. One, the company may be in trouble or at least watching the budget, meaning cleaning/maintenance issues could arise. However, you are in no long term commitment so shouldn't be hard to walk away as and when you want. Two, you want to find a company that started co-working space because they realise it's a good idea and understand what needs co-workers have and are discerning in the people they allow to use the space. People that have chosen to co-work not out of desperation for cash.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, anyone know any good spaces in Manchester?

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Anyone else use such places? If so where?

Yep, I rent desk space at Worthing Coworking: http://www.worthingcoworking.co.uk/

Amongst its desk space options includes 12 days a month at £77 (which is what I pay for); five days a month at £47; two days a month at £24; or even just one day a month at just £15. It has also just introduced 18 day packages at £60 and £115 per month respectively.

These prices include discounted parking vouchers (50% off so a full day at £11 is £5.50); Wi-Fi; use of kitchen and meeting rooms; and shared desk space on the 4th floor of its building which overlooks Worthing, the Sussex Downs and the sea. And we can't forget that masturbating man in the garden behind us can we? you are in the middle of town so close to all the shops.

More info on the desks are here: http://www.worthingcoworking.co.uk/desks/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here