Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - Were just not using him right.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I've read the boring thread about CMS not being the real deal and i've even heard the grumbles in the stands but I've felt this for a while, were just not using him properly.

Having a player that runs and runs and runs and will chase down lost causes and work for 90 minutes can sometimes mean that its very easy to launch the long balls 50 yards and it can come alive due to Craig's workrate.

Were in a higher division now and craig has built his career on not only individuel skill but also playing off defensive mistakes and being in the right place at the right time, the defenders are more clued up in this league and we need to utilise him better in my opinion.

When you watch the game he makes some fantastic little runs on the shoulder of the defender but a lot of the time we just dont find him and play the ball through,he creates himself that extra yard but due to our style we often hit the wings instead of slipping the through ball to him, it must be very frustrating for him.

He gives us that extra dimension to the side and is a very unique little striker, there's not many CMS style strikers around and I just feel if we can really start clicking into gear with him and understanding him better then the goals will flow even more so for the side.

It's very early days for not only him but the group of extra bodies we've brought in and its working fantastically well, so anyone who dares to grumble or question CMS, have a quiet word with yourself and be patient.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think you could be right. Vicente might be a godsend for him, as could Harley.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I can't help thinking a good, old- fashioned target man up front would help CMS by taking a lot of the pressure off him.
At the moment he does seem to be chasing around on his own sometimes.

Hopefully, Vicente and Hoskins will take some of the pressure off him and give him more opportunities to do what we all know he can do.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
but a lot of the time we just dont find him and play the ball through,he creates himself that extra yard but due to our style we often hit the wings instead of slipping the through ball to him, it must be very frustrating for him.

Totally agree with this and I have to believe he and Gus etc are talking this through - like the "secret" of what he did at Posh (I'm not familiar with how he Boyd and McCann linked up). Our wide play can be brilliant but it doesn't always bring CMS into the game and I think he might get more success if we mixed it up a bit more with the ball coming thorough the middle channels a bit more - not sure who takes on the role of the creative and controlling CMF though ... is that Vicente? I gotta hunch that Vincelot could be used there .. also think that might be the idea of Harley but he's not looked the real deal yet

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Even on his brief cameo last night Vicente seemed the type of player that CMS would love to have playing behind him. CMS is used to the ball being played up to him a lot quicker than we do, but the option is there for us to put a ball into the channels knowing that we will 9/10 we will get a throw-in at worst.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It could all change once Hoskins is fit, but I think our formation with him on his own upfront doesn't exactly help him. But when it's worked so very well for almost all of our other wingers (Barnes included) and midfielders and we're third in the league, it's difficult to change it to benefit one player at the possible expense of others.

It is also easy to miss just how much his presence can affect our chances in the game overall. Knowing how much of a threat he can be will mean that teams could focus on keeping him out of the game - which means more time for Noone, Buckley, Lua Lua, Vicente, Harley, Barnes and Hoskins.

I'd shit myself if I was a CB playing us.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Don't forget he was playing pretty much on his lonesome last night. He was most prolific with Boyd as a playmaker - hopefully with Vincente and Harley he'll do good

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I've read the boring thread about CMS not being the real deal and i've even heard the grumbles in the stands but I've felt this for a while, were just not using him properly.

Having a player that runs and runs and runs and will chase down lost causes and work for 90 minutes can sometimes mean that its very easy to launch the long balls 50 yards and it can come alive due to Craig's workrate.

Were in a higher division now and craig has built his career on not only individuel skill but also playing off defensive mistakes and being in the right place at the right time, the defenders are more clued up in this league and we need to utilise him better in my opinion.

When you watch the game he makes some fantastic little runs on the shoulder of the defender but a lot of the time we just dont find him and play the ball through,he creates himself that extra yard but due to our style we often hit the wings instead of slipping the through ball to him, it must be very frustrating for him.

He gives us that extra dimension to the side and is a very unique little striker, there's not many CMS style strikers around and I just feel if we can really start clicking into gear with him and understanding him better then the goals will flow even more so for the side.

It's very early days for not only him but the group of extra bodies we've brought in and its working fantastically well, so anyone who dares to grumble or question CMS, have a quiet word with yourself and be patient.

You have hit he nail on the head, CMS likes to play on the shoulder of the last man and have the ball fed through on the deck for him to run on to. At the moment we as a team like to (in general) get the ball out to Noone (and or KLL) on the wings, this is not that great for CMS because things for him slow down and he isn't prolific in the air, but Gus will be thinking why change our system just for CMS as we are doing pretty well so far. However, this may soon change as I hope and I think as a later poster says this is where "the dagger" comes in to slip through those killer passes to CMS that others may not have the skill to make. The way I saw it last night was that Vicente was so much more direct i.e heading towards the goal rather than out to the wings than other midfielders who seem to almost as a default want to get the ball out to Noone/KLL.

What people also seem to forget is that we have played 2 very tough teams in the last 2 games, Leicester away, with all the dollar they have spent are going to be challenging for automatic promotion and Liverpool will be challenging for Europe and probably a top 4 prem spot. Against Leeds and especially against Crapstal I think we as a team will need to do less defending and CMS will get some more help.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i was thinking the same thing , we played some wicked football last night but the final ball and general selection there-of seem to be an issue for us....sure cms would thrive on your good old fashioned through ball as opposed to the scimitar like cross whipped in from the wing(s).......maybe we should go after carew or such like...!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Vicente is the answer here...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
at the moment seems to be used as a headless chicken. Role needs more thought

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
In agreement with a lot of this. Have come away from games thinking perhaps Poyet got the wrong striker if he wants BHA to play the way they are. But perhaps it will be a sign of the managers ability to see how this works out. He must have seen something there he could use. CMS is always off on a run as soon as we have possession but all too often that is not used or seen and instead the ball is played wide or back. Vincente may well be the answer. Looks very good and positive.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
We still need the promised striker with prescence. CMS runs his bollocks off, I agree, but is not getting the service his work-rate warrants. With all the wingers/wide players in our squad, the likes of a Carrol, Paynter, Wickham, would change the dimension of the game completely. Illustrated by the size of the centre half Craig was up against last night. Need a bit of cage rattling methinks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here