Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS To Sunderland?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
If he can put in some more crosses like the one for Ulloa at Forest last season then keep him and play him out wide!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that maybe CMS would of scored 20 goals in the season he was injured I think he scored 12 before his injury, Ulloa scores 16 in almost a full season and everyone creams themselves over him. :shrug:

Would that be the full season for Ulloa that included the broken bone in his foot (sustained against Sheff Wed)?

How about CMS after we bought him, surely he would have been full of confidence after being prolific with Peterboro? But, failed badly and as we currently stand has not proved himself to be of championship level IMO. A real 50/50 finisher.

What I would say is that Poyet did not help CMS in the way he played him and I would like to see him alongside Ulloa for a season.

All of that said, he comes over as a decent person and if he gets more money out of any move for his family then good.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Would that be the full season for Ulloa that included the broken bone in his foot (sustained against Sheff Wed)?

How about CMS after we bought him, surely he would have been full of confidence after being prolific with Peterboro? But, failed badly and as we currently stand has not proved himself to be of championship level IMO. A real 50/50 finisher.

What I would say is that Poyet did not help CMS in the way he played him and I would like to see him alongside Ulloa for a season.

All of that said, he comes over as a decent person and if he gets more money out of any move for his family then good.

CMS failed badly , get a grip .

Ok he hasn't been a revelation but his ratio is still respectable .

Failed badly haha

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
CMS failed badly , get a grip .

Ok he hasn't been a revelation but his ratio is still respectable .

Failed badly haha

Why because we paid £2.5m and he is so prolific?

For the money we paid (at the time) he should be at least an 18-20 goal a season striker. He has never produced in the Championship as the stats show.

1 in 4 for us, respectable.........? That is highly debatable I would say.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Joy.

Let's sell both CMS and Leo and then we can have no strikers at all.

:nono:
Saves an awful lot of investment, less wages and we can pack the midfield with defensive generals and retain possession more. Oscar Garcia, genius.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why because we paid £2.5m and he is so prolific?

For the money we paid (at the time) he should be at least an 18-20 goal a season striker. He has never produced in the Championship as the stats show.

1 in 4 for us, respectable.........? That is highly debatable I would say.

No debate.....1 in 4 in the Championship IS respectable. .....

.......not exciting or ripping up trees but respectable.

The problem we have had for the last three seasons is not enough goals from other areas of the pitch/team to support the main striker whether that was CMS or Ulloa.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sorry but that is a load of nonsense. You are rewriting history. CMS had several one on ones with keepers and shot straight at them which was easy to save.

Yep. You replied to a fantasy post, about the 'talented' CMS outpacing defences and beating goalies with ease with his incredible finishing.
At Championship level he just hasn't got it, as well as defences, their own pace and the organisation of opponents being far better than the League One opponents CMS faced years ago.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

How is 12 goals in half a season 'failed badly'? As for a 50/50 finisher I've seen Ulloa miss loads of sitters. I just dont understand the constant CMS bashing by some after all he is a our player you should be supporting him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No debate.....1 in 4 in the Championship IS respectable. .....

.......not exciting or ripping up trees but respectable.

The problem we have had for the last three seasons is not enough goals from other areas of the pitch/team to support the main striker whether that was CMS or Ulloa.

Fair enough, but we disagree. He scored once in five months between 2001 and 2012, is that respectable?

I would say 1 in 3 - 3.5 is respectable. 1 in 2.5 is very good.

It's not the other areas of the pitch which are the problem, Buckley contributed in his first and second years (8 goals in each) along with Barnes (11 and 8) who was playing out wide as well.

Second season Ulloa rescued more towards the end.

Last season I really do feel we went backwards, the football was disappointing and we never got anyone in the box.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How is 12 goals in half a season 'failed badly'? As for a 50/50 finisher I've seen Ulloa miss loads of sitters. I just dont understand the constant CMS bashing by some after all he is a our player you should be supporting him.

12 goals for a forward is not a success, especially in a team that is challenging for promotion.

As for supporting our player, I have been supporting our team for well over 35 years and nothing would please me more than CMS to succeed and score a stack of goals, but based on what I've seen so far and what the stats show it does not seem likely to happen.

I think the saving grace is that maybe Sami will play him with or behind Ulloa, and he'll get more opportunities, he played well at Lewes, but then it was Lewes.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yep. You replied to a fantasy post, about the 'talented' CMS outpacing defences and beating goalies with ease with his incredible finishing.
At Championship level he just hasn't got it, as well as defences, their own pace and the organisation of opponents being far better than the League One opponents CMS faced years ago.
He made his name as a striker with a partner up front, Gus just pitted him on his own against two six foot plus central defenders, then asked him to compete in the air or out muscle them by holding it up....... CMS is a striker that feeds off quick ball over or between the defence for him to run onto, or making quick darts right in the box........so if Hyppia does play this quick transition footy with a n other up front alongside or just behind CMS, then you will be playing to his strengths and will get a bigger return.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Fair enough, but we disagree. He scored once in five months between 2001 and 2012, is that respectable?

I would say 1 in 3 - 3.5 is respectable. 1 in 2.5 is very good.

It's not the other areas of the pitch which are the problem, Buckley contributed in his first and second years (8 goals in each) along with Barnes (11 and 8) who was playing out wide as well.

Second season Ulloa rescued more towards the end.

Last season I really do feel we went backwards, the football was disappointing and we never got anyone in the box.

Agree 100% with your last sentence. :thumbsup:

My wife (far from a master tactician) commented how much we miss CMS (she loves him) because "he makes defenders work and makes it easier for the others"......I think she has a fair point

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
He made his name as a striker with a partner up front, Gus just pitted him on his own against two six foot plus central defenders, then asked him to compete in the air or out muscle them by holding it up....... CMS is a striker that feeds off quick ball over or between the defence for him to run onto, or making quick darts right in the box........so if Hyppia does play this quick transition footy with a n other up front alongside or just behind CMS, then you will be playing to his strengths and will get a bigger return.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

All the more annoying as Gus promised he would build a team around him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree 100% with your last sentence. :thumbsup:

My wife (far from a master tactician) commented how much we miss CMS (she loves him) because "he makes defenders work and makes it easier for the others"......I think she has a fair point

I agree, if anything making defenders go long and earlier is one of his strengths. I think his future could be more as a 'free role', as he delivers a good ball and has the pace to break from midfield.

As per my earlier post don't fancy him as an out and out striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here