Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] CMS to Notts County

D

Deleted member 2719

Shocking footballer, would struggle to control a bag of cement.

2nd touch was always a tackle.

Very much this, his speed got him goals as his touch was the worst I have seen in pro football.
Unfortunately after his knee injury he lost the zing in his pace.
Loved his effort and passion but he was limited.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
The tone of conversation about CMS seems to decrease every time he pops up. To counter, I'd like to tell you all to shut up with the negativity about him. He had a terrible time with us but he never lacked for passion, desire or work ethic. There are a lot of players who have been signed before and since who showed less than a tenth of his determination. It didn't work out here and that's extremely disappointing for everyone concerned, but there's really no need to keep kicking him.
It hasn’t worked out for him anywhere so that should
tell you something

D

Deleted member 22389

Liked CMS. Disappointed for him that it didn't work out. Honestly and no disrespect, it must have been a real come down for him when he left us. Let's hope he has put some cash behind him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
*Goal* v Crawley.

Is Notts County's Great Escape on ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Interesting point of view. I never looked at it that way
Why would you ask a player who couldn’t control a ball
to hold the ball up
I don’t think I’ve seen a striker at championship level
with such a bad first touch I think that was his problem
Nice bloke though who tried his best
Saying that he scored a cracker away at Derby with a first time strike
which was handy for him he didn’t try to control it
Not one of our best signings IMO

I always saw his strengths more as a player who was in or around the opposition penalty area, looking to get onto the end of a through ball or looking for rebounds off the keeper when a team mate has had a shot rather than a lone figure in the opposition half, chasing a long ball hit aimlessly towards the corner flag, outnumbered. and against several opponents with little or no support arriving even if he managed to get the ball - Poyet's style of play never played to his strengths, so to blame the player for our not getting the best from him is very odd

The way he played for us is a bit like we are playing now with Murray, he is better when there is support and play's around the opposition's penalty area rather than what we have been watching lately. Our pattern of play is taking Murray away from the middle of the park and dragging him out wide in support of a lone wing player with no support near either of them - He needs to be in and around the opposition box with support nearby to help create space for him or to have opportunities created for him (like through balls) rather than our current system which makes it easy for the opposition to keep him quiet and so he offers little in the way of a goal threat

Does it make Murray a poor player as a result of our current trend of failing to play to his strengths? If you were judging him like you were CMS, you could say he can't hold the ball up, flicks the ball on when he knows that there is no support, etc... so it's easy to pick holes about a player when it's not really his fault (eg. Stephens not passing forward enough when the reason usually is that there is no one available for him to pass forwards to, etc....)

Hopefully CMS can help Notts County stay in the league this season

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I always saw his strengths more as a player who was in or around the opposition penalty area, looking to get onto the end of a through ball or looking for rebounds off the keeper when a team mate has had a shot rather than a lone figure in the opposition half, chasing a long ball hit aimlessly towards the corner flag, outnumbered. and against several opponents with little or no support arriving even if he managed to get the ball - Poyet's style of play never played to his strengths, so to blame the player for our not getting the best from him is very odd

The way he played for us is a bit like we are playing now with Murray, he is better when there is support and play's around the opposition's penalty area rather than what we have been watching lately. Our pattern of play is taking Murray away from the middle of the park and dragging him out wide in support of a lone wing player with no support near either of them - He needs to be in and around the opposition box with support nearby to help create space for him or to have opportunities created for him (like through balls) rather than our current system which makes it easy for the opposition to keep him quiet and so he offers little in the way of a goal threat

Does it make Murray a poor player as a result of our current trend of failing to play to his strengths? If you were judging him like you were CMS, you could say he can't hold the ball up, flicks the ball on when he knows that there is no support, etc... so it's easy to pick holes about a player when it's not really his fault (eg. Stephens not passing forward enough when the reason usually is that there is no one available for him to pass forwards to, etc....)

Hopefully CMS can help Notts County stay in the league this season

Murray can control a ball and has a good first touch
CMS couldn’t control the ball what he is asked to do
tactically has nothing to do with it
It was like watching a dog with a balloon
I know he got a nasty injury but so did Glenn
Their career paths since the injuries have be very different
The truth usually comes to the top and for CMS it shows
that due to his lack of technical ability he is playing at his level
Tactics have nothing to do with it
If a player can’t control a ball what exactly would his strengths be
First time shots I suppose not really what any manager
with any idea would really want

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

A little harsh CMS may not have been the most talented footballer and he did look like a spaniel chasing a ball that said I can only remember a very breif period where CMS was provided a partnership up front( can't remember who he was playing with) anyway he looked looked a totaly diffrent player Sadley it was not to last as he suffered an horrendous knee injury that he never really recovered from

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A little harsh CMS may not have been the most talented footballer and he did look like a spaniel chasing a ball that said I can only remember a very breif period where CMS was provided a partnership up front( can't remember who he was playing with) anyway he looked looked a totaly diffrent player Sadley it was not to last as he suffered an horrendous knee injury that he never really recovered from

Wasn't it a ruptured achilles tendon?

Saw him play today, did well and scored a nice header.

Ben Barclay alas saw red for a studs up tackle

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Plenty of times that the ball has bounced away from Murray, but not labeled in the same way as CMS for that

CMS often was in full sprint mode when applying his first touch, which always makes it harder to control, maybe if he was stood still / backing onto a defender like Murray then his first touch may have been different, equally if Murray's first touch was always in a flat out sprint, maybe his wouldn't be as good (and Murray, like all footballers) does have a bad first touch from time to time.

This criticism of CMS always comes across as a little bit of bitterness from some fans because he didn't live up to their inflated expectations and / or they're trying to run his reputation down so that it seems it was all his fault that it didn't turn out to be a great move for him in joining us rather than hold a more balanced view where the team shape and tactics we employed will have also played a massive part of how he performed and how he's viewed by our fans. (it's like our playing Ashley Barnes as a winger and judging him as a striker (or even Locadia))

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Saw him play today, did well and scored a nice header.

Ben Barclay alas saw red for a studs up tackle

So did I - doesn’t seem to have lost any of his energy although he was subbed late in the second half. The early goal he scored was well taken.

The match itself was nothing to write home about with neither team seeming able to string more than two or three passes together

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here