Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - The biggest waste of money?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If he stays fit, CMS will get 18 goals + this season. If anyone else in the squad matches that, we will be top six easy. How is that a waste of money???. He has scored three or four goals in the stripes so far, that Ashley Barnes and even Leo could only dream of. Against Leeds and Burnley spring to mind, they had class written all over them. You can't fluke goals like that. CMS has got it, he just needs to be played in the right system.

Hmmm, your argument against him being a waste of money is that hypothetically he could score 18 this season? It's hardly a concrete argument is it, and let us not forget Barnes' goal against Bournemouth away:goal:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Panic buy all day long. Shame. Nice lad, but a limbo striker. Too good for league one, not good enough for championship. proven over time. Some great goals here and there and can't ever question his commitment. But not quite the real deal, for the price tag anyway.

We will always make mistakes along the way.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If he stays fit, CMS will get 18 goals + this season. If anyone else in the squad matches that, we will be top six easy. How is that a waste of money???. He has scored three or four goals in the stripes so far, that Ashley Barnes and even Leo could only dream of. Against Leeds and Burnley spring to mind, they had class written all over them. You can't fluke goals like that. CMS has got it, he just needs to be played in the right system.

With no creativity in midfield, im thinking this might be impossible.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Hmmm, your argument against him being a waste of money is that hypothetically he could score 18 this season? It's hardly a concrete argument is it, and let us not forget Barnes' goal against Bournemouth away:goal:

To be fair he had 13/14 before he got injured, with three months of a season still to go. So it's fair to say he would have got somewhere near or over 20 that season. That's not at all bad, for someone not played to their strengths.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
To be fair he had 13/14 before he got injured, with three months of a season still to go. So it's fair to say he would have got somewhere near or over 20 that season. That's not at all bad, for someone not played to their strengths.

LOL - of course it isn't fair to say he would have got 20.....what sort of argument is that?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

He'd scored 11 in 29 games, and I think 8 of those were in the first 12 games or so. He'd had his purple patch and was in a slump again. It's quite unlikely he would have scored another 7-10 goals in the remaining fixtures.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He'd scored 11 in 29 games, and I think 8 of those were in the first 12 games or so. He'd had his purple patch and was in a slump again. It's quite unlikely he would have scored another 7-10 goals in the remaining fixtures.

So by KTR's method of prediction I may win the lottery very soon............top stuff kev...

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
How many balls played through the channel for him to run onto, how many times the ball is played to him in a scoring position. Its not CMS that's the problem its getting the ball to him in a scoring position, played correctly he will get a hatful and is always inspiring to watch. Why he wasn't played with O'grady the other night, I can't understand. Look at the history Sammi, at 5'10 he's not going to do much on his own upfront. With the right manager he will score 20 plus. I'm watching Sammi closely as yet I have seen nothing encouraging and a very poor pre season.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
How many balls played through the channel for him to run onto, how many times the ball is played to him in a scoring position. Its not CMS that's the problem its getting the ball to him in a scoring position, played correctly he will get a hatful and is always inspiring to watch. Why he wasn't played with O'grady the other night, I can't understand. Look at the history Sammi, at 5'10 he's not going to do much on his own upfront. With the right manager he will score 20 plus. I'm watching Sammi closely as yet I have seen nothing encouraging and a very poor pre season.

for 3 years now we have developed a certain style with 1 main striker. Why did you think this was going to be any different?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Him getting the ball with his back to goal and looking to lay it off is not his game.

If he had a strike partner and had the ball played through to him for him to run onto then he would be effective and get goals.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

That is exactly what they were though, flukes, especially the Burnley one. Give that to him again (or most players for that matter) and it would go flying over or the ball would be missed.

The season where we finished fourth, his goals in the first half of the season showed what a good player he is. He then tailed off and after that got injured. Which of those is the real CMS, we will fimd out. He's definitely a last shoulder striker but not a hold-up player, so what Sami will make of that, I'm not sure

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If he doesn't score a hatful this season, the £2.5m to £3.25m fee must have been a big waste of money.
As under 4 managers in the Championship, he flopped as a striker, if you include the paltry 10 goals in a Peterborough Championship season in a team that we constantly told on NSC was set-up perfectly for him by Darren Ferguson.
His supporters can't keep blaming various managers. Good players surely can adapt?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Give him a chance guys he's just come back from a year out with serious injury!

Plus he has scored some goals and did deliver that peach of a cross to get us in the play offs!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
for 3 years now we have developed a certain style with 1 main striker. Why did you think this was going to be any different?

Because it hasn't worked. No goals in the playoff against palace and not enough goals against Derby. It is a boring philosophy that relies heavily on our midfield to score, how many did the midfield get between them last year? If that's our strategy then this is a reason that we fail to attract quality strikers as smart players see that it is impossible to hold the line for us for a full season and score lots of goals. Its flawed. We enter our fourth year at the Amex and how many strikers have we signed? Lets play one up front so that we don't have to search for many strikers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here