Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - The biggest waste of money?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
CMS is way above Barnes in ability would any manager offer £2m for Barnes never ever.

Was CMS the most expensive mistake in the Amex era? Yes.

Will CMS ever play in the Premier League? No.

Will Barnes ever play in the Premier League? Yes.

Will Barnes command far more than CMS next time either of them are transferred? Yes.

Or have you read on that dreadful rumours site that CMS is about to be bought by Liverpool?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
FAR better reading of the game
Better hold up player
Better finisher
Better at linking up/passing
Better at heading

Admittedly he's not as good at running around at 300mph with the ball whacking off his shins.

Don't really understand the comparison between Barnes and CMS. We've all identified CMS isn't a natural lone striker, lacks the physicality and control. However, Barnes isn't a decent lone striker either, as demonstrated by his spell last season in that role following Ulloa's suspension.

I think Barnes is a great attacking support player, but on his own in the Ulloa role? Never.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
CMS is way above Barnes in ability would any manager offer £2m for Barnes never ever.

How much did we get for Barnes with only 6 months left on his deal?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Don't really understand the comparison between Barnes and CMS. We've all identified CMS isn't a natural lone striker, lacks the physicality and control. However, Barnes isn't a decent lone striker either, as demonstrated by his spell last season in that role following Ulloa's suspension.

I think Barnes is a great attacking support player, but on his own in the Ulloa role? Never.

Finally, a sensible post.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Murray, scores every other game but is grumpy. CMS rarely scores but runs and smiles.

Shame Barnes' agent never told him to occasionally run around a lot and grin endlessly as he'd now be an Albion legend. Goals mean nothing.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
FFS !!!!
Somebody ring Mr Bloom and tell him to make a £4million bid for Assombalonga pleeeeeaaassee !!!!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Good God. He's been poor for most of the last 3 seasons when he's not been injured. One quality strike at Burnley doesn't change that, any more than people should have changed their opinions on Ash Barnes after his superb goal at Bournemouth last season.

And talking of Barnes, he'd have been a far more reliable fallback in our current situation (no Ulloa) than CMS.

Completely correct. Not a world beater, not as quick or mobile as CMS, but did the basics very well.
Nice rewrite of history there. He was good for the first half of the 1st season and the 1st half of the second before getting injured. He's not a bad player at this level, but he's not a great one either. He was on for 20 goals before his injury.

His problem is our system suits a target man better. Doesn't make him 'poor'.

What makes me laugh is how people think his phenomenal work rate is an attribute to be scoffed at, the same people who thought Murray and Leo were lazy. Cretins.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Murray, scores every other game but is grumpy. CMS rarely scores but runs and smiles.

Shame Barnes' agent never told him to occasionally run around a lot and grin endlessly as he'd now be an Albion legend. Goals mean nothing.

I'm not afraid to admit, I fell for it for about 6 months. Now I just think it's a massive waste of energy.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Signing a striker that needs a partner for a system that has him on his own was always an odd move.
Wasn't he signed as the player the team was going to built around by Poyet?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cheltenham Races

If he stopped falling over and complaining and missing easy goals he could be better. He might even be OK as a squad player.

I hope he scores a hatrick against Cheltenham and then we can sell him.

I have still have hopes that he will come good as a second striker in the Lingard role, with a second string to his bow as lead striker, but he has to stay on his feet and not complain so much. Not dangerous at the near post as well. Almost always runs to the centre of the goal.

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
CMS gets far too much criticism on this board. If we EVER played a high tempo game his running and energy would cause huge problems for defenders and create space for the other attacking players and the midfielders joining in. It is no coincidence that some of his most telling performances (Leeds at home, his brief appearance at Forest for example) came when we had to loosen the shackles and have a proper go. I think we could be far more adventurous this season with the likes of Toko and Ince as the safety net but I'll not hold my breath.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't he signed as the player the team was going to built around by Poyet?

So bizarre - he couldn't be less of a Poyet style player.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There were a couple of longer balls pinged to him last night, one of which he controlled very well indeed before being forced out by the Saints defender.

He wants to get behind defenders and have stuff to run onto. Give him that and he'll thrive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here