CMS enough is enough.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes but, goals were only a small part of his game. He has so many other qualities, anyone who judged him on goal ratio alone was being a bit dim. He laid so many goals on a plate for Barnes, for example.

I absolutely agree, I have always liked the guy a lot, still do - I think he shows a lot of class when he doesn't celebrate, even after getting dogs abuse from Brighton fans. I'm just saying we are now coveting someone who many thought was lazy and not good enough when we had him. 7 goals last season and that would have got LOADS of calls from people saying "where is our 20 goal a season man - we should have got rid and bought someone."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is it my failing memory, or was Murray less than universally popular on here when he was at the Albion? If he had stayed, and we'd paid over what we wanted to him, I wonder how much abuse he'd have been getting for then knocking in just the 7 in 43 as he did for Palace last year?

Just wondering like.
You are correct. Luckily though, I always rated him and was gutted when he left. He did have barren spells when he was here, and some of NSC would be right on his back, but I never understood why he wasn't more popular. I honestly thought he was one of the most complete strikers we've ever had. Not lightening quick of course, and he could be a moody fucker, but he even at his worst he was competent, and at his best he was unplayable. Then just when it all clicked and he was running into a season where it all went so right and he netted 26 or whatever, we let him go and replace him with a £3m Golden Retriever. Utterly baffling.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
£2m + Morison or Jackson and we should bite their hands off.

We're not going up with CMS leading the line, and that's a fact. He can't hold the ball up, he can't finish one on ones, he doesn't take enough of his chances, and he looks like he's chasing a stick all game.

That said, he's alright as Champ strikers go, but I was expecting a LOT more for £2.5 - 3m.

2 million plus one of their strikers is a different deal - put like that you'd probably take it.

It was an horrendous miss on Saturday... I still don't know how he misses at the near post, surely you go across the keeper in that situation? You must do.
Our decision-making in that game hit a new low, just awful, moronic. But despite everything, CMS is still on course to score 20 goals this season and strikers who do that cost you a lot more than 2 million quid.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Swept up with the idea of making his first big money signing I expect.

I'd still prefer us to keep CMS and bring in a decent hold up player to play alongside him but we haven't exactly been successful at that. I like the CMS, Dobbie and Hoskins and reckon that they could all do a good job in the Championship, its a shame none of them really suit Poyet's style although we haven't seen much of Hoskins, or Dobbie in the first team. I'd like to see CMS and Hoskins played with Dobbie behind but there's a fat chance that'll ever happen and probably rightly so because it would be too weak defensively, still it would be an interesting mix of players, all slightly different in their own right.
I agree that CMS will be MUCH more effective playing in a front pairing with someone half decent when his back is to goal, but it won't change the fact he will miss too many relatively easy chances.

(I'd be far more forgiving if we had paid £2m less than we did, as I am with Ashley Barnes and his shortcomings)

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
why is cms getting all the crap,he didnt do a bad job under the circumstances, dunk is the one who messed up, because he couldnt control the ball, and from that moment on. it was game over.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I agree that CMS will be MUCH more effective playing in a front pairing with someone half decent when his back is to goal, but it won't change the fact he will miss too many relatively easy chances.

(I'd be far more forgiving if we had paid £2m less than we did, as I am with Ashley Barnes and his shortcomings)

Well quite, Barnes was an absolute steal for £50k and easily Poyet's best buy. Although Buckley is not far behind and with the money we got on Noone he was a good buy as well.

Re. Murray, a lot of people were fed up with him for a lot of his time with us but I think we need to remember that half of that time he was struggling with a double hernia.

Anyway, Dobbie and Lopez, what was the point in buying them? I'm desperately hoping they will get a run of games as well, we really do need to start working out what our best XI is and with the lack of time this summer's signings + Hoskins have had on the pitch its a pretty difficult exercise.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
why is cms getting all the crap,he didnt do a bad job under the circumstances, dunk is the one who messed up, because he couldnt control the ball, and from that moment on. it was game over.

Because that's what happens on here.

Let me take you on a trip down memory lane, to see how we treated the player we now all think Gus was crazy to not love, rate and pay whatever to keep ...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?156268-Glenn-Murray-wanker&highlight=delph

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'm assuming it's because CMS missed a(nother) presentable chance, cost loads of money, and we do have a few options up front that we can discuss. It's also compounded by the fact that he replaced Glenn Murray who has now scored 3 goals in as many games against us, which isn't looking too clever.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He's worth whatever the transfer market says he's worth. We know Albion turned down an offer from Norwich at the end of August for £3 million so it's going to be more than that.

i would very much doubt that...

hes hardly setting the world alight is he??? the longer we keep him the more money we will lose on the deal...

We had an opportunity to offload and we didnt.... serves us right really.....

Cannot see him going for more than 2M at present... but there might be anothermanagerchairman willing to pay it..

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But that's people talking about a specific incident as opposed to his ability on the pitch.

Really? Even on the first page he's accused of only being good when he can be bothered. he was ALWAYS getting abuse for his attitude. I was looking for that Leeds game when Adams sent him on when he was really injured, and Delph ran away from him, leading to LOADS of people slag him off for not caring, not being interested, lazy, selfish. Ability is no good without the right attitude, and plenty of people here would just slag him off for no reason at all.

Add in abuse about his wife as was a central theme of the thread I linked to, and as I say .... that's what we do round here, slag our players off. Nice! and now, it's Craigs turn, probably to the relief of Ashley Barnes. I doubt I would have to look far to find a thread saying what fantastic fans we are as well.

You've gotta laugh, haven't you.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

hes hardly setting the world alight is he??? the longer we keep him the more money we will lose on the deal...

Cannot see him going for more than 2M at present... but there might be anothermanagerchairman willing to pay it..

He has a reasonable goal scoring record this season, significantly better than last season- although I do remember him scoring a few goals in early season last year and then failing to score for months afterwards so who knows that may hppen again (lets hope not). He has a lot of other qualities a manager would like (and he has pretty hair, maybe its the Torres effect?), you also have to remember Norwich offered us 3m after he scored 7? goals in the league total, he has scored 7 goals in the league already this year and is on for scoring 15+ if he doesn't go into another slump (if he's not already in one?).

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

You probably need to read the whole thread mate, not just the last 2 posts....

It covers CMS since we bought him not just his last game...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
(I'd be far more forgiving if we had paid £2m less than we did
Do you honestly think 'the' striker is available for a lowly £1.5m.

Whether you are pro CMS or not, the money paid is what it is.
Replacing him will cost, at best, the same again, but more likely to be twice that.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He has a reasonable goal scoring record this season, significantly better than last season- although I do remember him scoring a few goals in early season last year and then failing to score for months afterwards so who knows that may hppen again (lets hope not). He has a lot of other qualities a manager would like (and he has pretty hair, maybe its the Torres effect?), you also have to remember Norwich offered us 3m after he scored 7? goals in the league total, he has scored 7 goals in the league already this year and is on for scoring 15+ if he doesn't go into another slump (if he's not already in one?).

I hope your right of course...

If i were scouting him for another team i wouldnt be hugley impressed with what ive seen in all honesty. Yes, he runs around and gives 100% no question, but he doesnt possess the real quality needed to be a top striker.. I dont like to say it, id much rather be saying geez what an amazing striker we have £3M was a steal..

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Do you honestly think 'the' striker is available for a lowly £1.5m.

Whether you are pro CMS or not, the money paid is what it is.
Replacing him will cost, at best, the same again, but more likely to be twice that.

Really, How much did Michu cost swansea?????

Swansea paid £2m to take the Spaniard from Rayo Vallecano, where he had scored 15 goals in 37 games in his debut season in La Liga, Spain's top division.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

A few weeks ago and everyone said he was "on fire." He's our top scorer and as I said in another post, well on course to score 20 goals this season. He may well not be the answer ( how many more chances are we going to miss this season?) but I'd be very surprised if the club sold him for as little as 2 million.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really, How much did Michu cost swansea?????

Swansea paid £2m to take the Spaniard from Rayo Vallecano, where he had scored 15 goals in 37 games in his debut season in La Liga, Spain's top division.
So what's the percentage of quality strikers, in the top 2 divisions, that have been bought for less than £3.5m?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I hope your right of course...

If i were scouting him for another team i wouldnt be hugley impressed with what ive seen in all honesty. Yes, he runs around and gives 100% no question, but he doesnt possess the real quality needed to be a top striker.. I dont like to say it, id much rather be saying geez what an amazing striker we have £3M was a steal..

I don't think it's worth writing him off yet, he can still score 20 goals for us this season. But IMO he needs more support for that to happen (if Hoskins isn't the answer, he may well be but we haven't seen them play together), and that requires Gus going out and buying someone that will complement him, which he has failed to achieve over the last 1.5 years. I'm not saying its easy to go out and buy a striker but it has taken a frustratingly long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports