Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS enough is enough.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Sadly people wont realise what they have until its gone............

Finding a striker that can play the one up top roll for us is a near impossible task.
We all understand it's a tough position to fill, but if it was occupied by someone who could shoot it would be a lot better.
Murray seems to be able to do it quite well,for example.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thing is, I wouldn't be gutted if we sold CMS and he went off and "banged them in" for someone else, because we just don't play in a way that absolutely suits him down to a tee.

Whereas we DO play in a way that suits Murray, intelligent passing play and quick players like Buckley to link up with. That's what makes it hard seeing Murray playing so well for Palace.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I do love CMS, yet I do beleive if Norwich come back in January or if we get an offer of around 2 Million he will go.
Norwich or Leeds will come in for him I have no doubt.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No way will he be sold for just 2 million.
£2m + Morison or Jackson and we should bite their hands off.

We're not going up with CMS leading the line, and that's a fact. He can't hold the ball up, he can't finish one on ones, he doesn't take enough of his chances, and he looks like he's chasing a stick all game.

That said, he's alright as Champ strikers go, but I was expecting a LOT more for £2.5 - 3m.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly people wont realise what they have until its gone............

Finding a striker that can play the one up top roll for us is a near impossible task.
My point entirely.
The fact made even more galling IMO because it's so easily rectified by an attacking centre midfielder, or (god forbid that's an and) a left winger.
When there's trouble at mill CMS is no longer one up top, but completely marooned, which is why we NEVER come back to win, when we go a goal down.

Murray seems to be able to do it quite well,for example.
I don't know as I actively don't watch 'them' but judging on Saturdays performance Mr Murray has the above in spades, allowing him to miss easy headers knowing full well another chance will be along soon, from the left right or through the middle.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
£2m + Morison or Jackson and we should bite their hands off.

We're not going up with CMS leading the line, and that's a fact. He can't hold the ball up, he can't finish one on ones, he doesn't take enough of his chances, and he looks like he's chasing a stick all game.

That said, he's alright as Champ strikers go, but I was expecting a LOT more for £2.5 - 3m.

Agreed. Did expect a better first touch and a football brain, for one thing. Surprised Gus went for him actually, doesn't seem a Gus sort of player at all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Zamora scored over 30 goals for us in one season of playing on his own upfront.

And that is the point .... players like Zamora do not come along very often at all. he was a once in a generation find, and we cannot throw our arms up every time the next striker fails to be as good as him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's worth whatever the transfer market says he's worth. We know Albion turned down an offer from Norwich at the end of August for £3 million so it's going to be more than that.
He's not worth selling at all unless we can get someone better than him in, or perhaps someone just as effective whilst freeing up cash. That's why I think a part-ex deal could be what we might get.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And that is the point .... players like Zamora do not come along very often at all. he was a once in a generation find, and we cannot throw our arms up every time the next striker fails to be as good as him.
We can if they cost £3m and fall below expectations.

CMS has talent - his finishes at Burnley AND Wolves were both sublime. Unfortunately though, this isn't basketball, and a 3 yard tap-in counts as much as a worldy. Too bad he misses way way too many half decent chances for someone who cost the club so much money.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is it my failing memory, or was Murray less than universally popular on here when he was at the Albion? If he had stayed, and we'd paid over what we wanted to him, I wonder how much abuse he'd have been getting for then knocking in just the 7 in 43 as he did for Palace last year?

Just wondering like.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

And when we find a striker as complete as Glenn Murray, we do whatever it takes to keep him.

Oh...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it my failing memory, or was Murray less than universally popular on here when he was at the Albion? If he had stayed, and we'd paid over what we wanted to him, I wonder how much abuse he'd have been getting for then knocking in just the 7 in 43 as he did for Palace last year?

Just wondering like.

Yes but, goals were only a small part of his game. He has so many other qualities, anyone who judged him on goal ratio alone was being a bit dim. He laid so many goals on a plate for Barnes, for example.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We can if they cost £3m and fall below expectations.

Of course you can, but I'm just saying you will spend a lot of the time very disappointed, if Zamora is the benchmark you measure everyone against. When I started at the Albion we had Ward up front, and I very soon got used to teh idea that if I compare every new forward to him, I would spend my life bitterly disappointed.

When a player like that comes along, enjoy it to the full, because the next one may not come along for quite some time.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Agreed. Did expect a better first touch and a football brain, for one thing. Surprised Gus went for him actually, doesn't seem a Gus sort of player at all.

Swept up with the idea of making his first big money signing I expect.

I'd still prefer us to keep CMS and bring in a decent hold up player to play alongside him but we haven't exactly been successful at that. I like CMS, Dobbie and Hoskins and reckon that they could all do a good job in the Championship, its a shame none of them really suit Poyet's style although we haven't seen much of Hoskins, or Dobbie in the first team. I'd like to see CMS and Hoskins played with Dobbie behind but there's a fat chance that'll ever happen and probably rightly so because it would be too weak defensively, still it would be an interesting mix of players, all slightly different in their own right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here