Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS, Baldock and Colunga

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Exactly. A few idiots were criticising TB for not bringing enough players in and he rightly said to make that judgement at the end of the window. Fans did judge at the end of the window and generally they were happy with the squad. There's no point criticising TB now that the squad we applauded aren't doing well.

Some were probably happy but not all of us u can't replace quality with ok and expect same results cheap option as usual . Worst keeper I've ever seen , toko yet to play. Paddy ten min run out although looks to have some special touches , baldock similar to CMS and we no how that's ended up , holla and tex ok players at best Hughes bench most games and cog not even on bench wot a waste of £500,000 that was

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No I was not wrong manager wrong players wrong system

So you thought, at the time of appointment, that sammi was a poor choice of manager and also that we had signed poor players? I'm guessing you were in a minority.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Can't see any of them getting anywhere near double figures, a long strenuous season lies ahead with a change of manager possible which just won't help. This is why you don't leave signing your players until the end of the window once the season has started
Sadly true. When we play better teams (and that's all teams other than Blackpool) the defence will be exposed. If we have to rely on Dunk for goals then we have a problem. As of yesterday I seriously think we may end up sacking a manager during the season - not TB style but it could actually happen.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Colungas missed opportunity in the first minute set the tone. My first match for 6 weeks due to illness, watched Colunga after the miss and he did not appear to be communicating with anyone, does he speak English? The ball that put Colunga through was perfect, but we never saw the same again. There are so many inconsistencies and contradictions in our line up that its difficult to know where to start. I have to wonder what the likes of Greer and CMS feel after playing in our teams for the past three years. Why Colunga wasn't subbed earlier I don't know, why CMS didn't start is difficult to work out and why drag Crofts back to cover for a right back that appears to have free reign is a mystery, Crofts will neither score, be creative or threaten the opposition goal as he did early last season whilst covering at right back. Then with fast men on the pitch we start to launch long balls to strikers who are 5'9, it all seemed desperate stuff with no plan. I'm left wondering what the rest of the season holds for us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have said it before but will say it again the big mistake was dropping CMS to the bench and replacing him with Colunga. CMS and Baldock in tandem will cause defences problems and score goals as they keep the defenders on their toes for 90 mins with no respite.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Have said it before but will say it again the big mistake was dropping CMS to the bench and replacing him with Colunga. CMS and Baldock in tandem will cause defences problems and score goals as they keep the defenders on their toes for 90 mins with no respite.

But we don't have the players create the chances for shorties

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some were probably happy but not all of us u can't replace quality with ok and expect same results cheap option as usual . Worst keeper I've ever seen , toko yet to play. Paddy ten min run out although looks to have some special touches , baldock similar to CMS and we no how that's ended up , holla and tex ok players at best Hughes bench most games and cog not even on bench wot a waste of £500,000 that was
You either know the least about football of any Brighton fan I've ever known, or you're just in a bad mood and venting. I hope it's the latter.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
well none of them are as good as ulloa
but apart from colunga's first minute opportunity
not sure if any of them wasted good chances
most of the shots we had travelled less than a yard before being blocked

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Completely agree. I was thinking the whole of yesterday that baldock was not a ulloa replacement he is the exact same standard and height and everything else as CMS. Both very good league 1 strikers but are going to do no damage in the championship.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Can anyone shed any light on why we've got 3 players who seemingly play the exact same role at an average-good standard (at best - i'm being generous here) in the same position?

Bizarre recruitment.

Ridiculous recruitment and looking worse game by game - 3 midgets who are similar - COG must be dreadful not to even get a sub place!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Baldock makes runs that Harry Potter couldn't Magic a ball to. Real lack of intelligence from our forwards yesterday but when you don't stretch a team it makes defending very easy. We may as well plant some nice perennials down our flanks as there as sod all else going on down there, lost count of the number of times Bruno or Bennett had it with only inside passes available. Bruno looked perplexed and wasn't until McCourt came on he had someone to work with.

And what has happened to Crofts? Has he been replaced with a doppelgänger!?

Agree with this. Baldock seems to make selfish runs that nobody can find. At least CMS manages to drag their defenders around a bit, and McCourt managed to make himself available in a way that Colunga didn't do for 70 odd minutes.

CMS let himself down in the box though, on a couple of occasions he could've gambled and found himself on the end of balls from McCourt.

Crofts looks like he's forgotten how to play football.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Exactly. A few idiots were criticising TB for not bringing enough players in and he rightly said to make that judgement at the end of the window. Fans did judge at the end of the window and generally they were happy with the squad. There's no point criticising TB now that the squad we applauded aren't doing well.

True - TB has funded the squad now so we have to make do with what we've got im afraid

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
To my mind CMS is still the best striker we have got as well. Until someone realizes that little men play off big men and you need a physical presence to play up front alone, we are always going to struggle. I was behind the appointment of Hyypia at first but the decision not to get an experienced assistant and promote Jones, looks like penny pinching again. And signings again up front looks totally unplanned an sloppy at best. Half of our team looks like an audition for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

i don't totally agree with this based on the fact that it hasn't done barcelona too much harm playing with small players!
i just don't think our strikers are good enough to play this way - maybe/hopefully they will prove us wrong.
however i would say that it's better to have a strong (preferably big) target man who can hold a ball up. with 1 or 2 smaller quick players around him. although the bottom line is that whoever you play you need players who are good at scoring. the last player that pleased me for putting the ball in the net was zamora.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
i don't totally agree with this based on the fact that it hasn't done barcelona too much harm playing with small players!
i just don't think our strikers are good enough to play this way - maybe/hopefully they will prove us wrong.
however i would say that it's better to have a strong (preferably big) target man who can hold a ball up. with 1 or 2 smaller quick players around him. although the bottom line is that whoever you play you need players who are good at scoring. the last player that pleased me for putting the ball in the net was zamora.

There's a lot of talk about us not having the right strikers by hardly anyone mentions the lack of creative midfielders/wingers that simply are not good enough to create decent chances for our forwards.

Other than lua lua there doesn't appear to be anyone who can beat a player and commit defenders.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Because if there is only one type on the shelf available, you buy those. If there was a better more expensive type available that might be another matter.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
There's a lot of talk about us not having the right strikers by hardly anyone mentions the lack of creative midfielders/wingers that simply are not good enough to create decent chances for our forwards.

Other than lua lua there doesn't appear to be anyone who can beat a player and commit defenders.
i agree. but the thread was about the 3 strikers!! i hope paddy plays a bit more, i think he would open things up more within this new style we play. it doesn't help that crofts hasn't hit form yet and i'm still not convinced about jfc.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Colunga had pace he would be great as his right foot passing was a bit special with its accuracy. Alas, he can't beat his man. He may not be at peak fitness. He also ran into positions OK. I thought he did OK but we need him with Lualua on the pitch, with that bit of acceleration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here